MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lightning vers Winchester 92

Lightning vers Winchester 92

I have both in 44/40WCF and honestly prefer the Lightning for ease of use. The lightning is easier to use and more accurate but it seems that the pump rifle is not very popular. Is this because shooters find the Winchester a more nostalgic firearm. BTW my '92 carries a four digit number (45**) and made in the first year of production.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

I wish I had both to compare.....

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I read years ago that the Lightning was subject to parts breakage, more so than the Win. 92. Also, the 92 was made in considerably higher numbers. I've seen only one Lightning in the flesh, and that was 30 years ago.

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe you lucked out and got a good one. I am not aware of any of the top Cowboy Action competitors using one. They have a reputation for not running well at high speed.

I am far from being good but can get 10 shots on target with a 1873 in about 6 seconds.

BTW, hardly anyone shoots an 1892 either.

Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

BTW, hardly anyone shoots an 1892 either.

Don Verna
    I believe a lot of folks shoot 92's, may be not in CASS.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I believe a lot of folks shoot 92's, may be not in CASS.
    Exactly.....for the price of the clones, the 92's are a decent gun. Good enough for most. But they cannot match either the 73's or Marlin 1894's for speed and reliability. The Lightnings are not even in the race.

My point is that comparing the Lightnings to the 1892's is comparing the lesser of two platforms. I have owned all except the Lightning. The 92 was a Rossi and it is gone. It could never be competitive.

For plinking and hunting, one can buy two 92's for the price of a 73 or Marlin 1894. They have a place.

Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

SAAS is not even close to real life. In the real word the Lightnings were good solid guns and considering the head start that Winchester had they did all right. I have used 3 original lightnings and both the Taurus and the Cimarron copies. The Taurus as per usual needed tweaking but after that ran fine and shot well. The Cimarron ran perfect and gave no problems, just awfull spendy.

I was mostly a real cowboy and never worried how fast I could empty a magazine at a close target but how the gun worked in the field. I will say the lightnings were not as saddle friendly as the flat sided Winchesters and nothing packs as light and easy as a 92 carbine.

Boolit Mold
    I have both, and enjoy shooting them. Both are the rifle version in 38-40. I do not use them for CASS just field use and for burning powder in the pasture. Both are reliable for what I use them for. The Colt may be a little faster due to the pump action and ability to keep your eyes on target a little easier. You do have to cycle the action fairly energetically. They are on par accuracy wise and I have no issue with the mechanical reliably of either. I'm in process of finally installing peep sights on them. With my older eyes that buckhorn rear is getting harder to focus on. That said, both will still reliably hit a 12 inch steel plate at 200 yards. Just takes a while for the slug to get there. I'll report back on how the new sights work out, I expect my groups to shrink some. The Colt is more of a chore to clean due to the receiver being closed and all the firing residue gets deposited on the bottom of the receiver and you have to take the butt stock off to flush it out, whereas with the 92 you can just drop the lever and flush it all out the bottom. Still, it is easier on the wood to pull the butt stock off. Hard to go wrong with either. The only clone I have used is the Uberti Lightning in 357, and damn, it was pretty with the case color. I did stone the action to slick it up some and it worked well for me. My only worry is if they will be declared "assault weapons" for an over ten magazine capacity. Blankety blank liberals!!

In Remembrance
    Never shot a lightning, but have a rem model 14 pump. I will not say it is any better than a lever, but is fun and has it's place.
    One thing I like is it is scoped, and I do not like to scope my levers, so that may be part of it.

Bad A Wallace,
    A bit of interesting history....not too long after the Colt Lightning found its way to Australia in the 1880's, it became known as the "MAGIC" rifle.

Apparently, so much so, that in 1889, U.M.C. (Union Metallic Cartridge Co.) manufactured some 38-40 and 44-40 cartridges with the "Magic" Headstamp. The cartridges are very rare today and a cartridge collector I know has sold the few individual rounds he had for $200 each!

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian