RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: My Rifle Action

Boolit Master
    That is an amazing rifle! I am jealous, I want one!

Boolit Grand Master

Darcy, remove your pics and talk with someone familiar with firearm patents. You have a talent in this area and I don't want you to give it away.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Beautiful

Very nice!

Boolit Buddy
    Darcy,
    THANK YOU for this thread!! The guy that built one on another weapons site, not sure if I can actually name it, built one off of the plans from scribd.
    He built his in 30-30 and there was much discussion about bigger cartridges.
    I did the same as he did which is print off a bunch of copies and then cut out the individual pieces to place as templates on the steel. He ended up using a 94 Winchester fcg that worked perfectly.
    This one is for sure different than that one. The changes do look to be for the better though.
    Did you feel the need for any additional hardening with the 4140 prehard?
    I was thinking about going with a cch since I have no engraving skills at all to at least make it look interesting. Of course then I would need to get a furnace.
    Is the butt stock an off the shelf or custom built? It is a beautiful piece of work.
    Now I need to find where my template got off to since we moved.
    Thanks again for posting the pics and description of your beautiful rifle. Now that I know it can be run in 45-70 I think I will build my own instead of buying one. Much greater satisfaction that way.
    Scott

Boolit Master

A lot of thought and excellent workmanship went into that rifle. Well done Sir!

Boolit Buddy
    Wow....just wow. If you're sellin plans I'm in
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Master
    A wonderful piece of engineering,much thought has gone into its production and practicability.Its lines are balanced and suggest efficiency when out in the field.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    If I maybe so bold that is a sexy looking rifle ,,absolutely love single shots of any description .

Marvellous! The entire action looks both efficient and well executed, but that damascus trigger just raises it to a whole new level of quality.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Awesome rifle 45stomp! The engraving looks wonderful also.

Boolit Master

That action is indeed marvelous and shows what can be done! My first HighWall was originally started as a design of my own but as I made changes along the way it ended up being just a modified version of the Browning/Winchester design, their ideas were simply better than mine so I guess that's why they were firearms designers and I am a heavy equipment mechanic! The one here however is truly unique and shows that there is indeed room for new ideas and designs from those who have such as a vision. The 4140HT was IMHO a perfect choice for this type of receiver as it is not only super strong but machines beautifully and needs no further heat treating when finished, all three of my SS rifles were built using this material including even the little scaled down "baby" HighWall in 22 WMR.

After studying these pics I would be willing to bet that thing could take even more punishment that a HighWall due to the design of the receiver sidewalls which not only are a bit thicker than an original HighWall design but it eliminates the corners in the breech block mortise. I would be curious to know how much this rifle weighs, or did I overlook that?
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

Absolutely gorgeous work! I like your design. most of the pictures came through for me on the computer I am using with a Linux operating system. I would love to have more details to assess my own ability to build one myself. This action would be excellent to use for my 30 Badger wildcat, a 30/38 Special. It appears to be a simpler design than most that I have seen. Thank you for sharing.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

I see elements of Frank de Haas's Vault Lock action there, but your design is much more graceful in execution, as is your stock design. You know how to make a lovely fore end! Look how the bottom lines of the butt stock, action and forearm flow together. And the deep engraving is very striking.

Moderator Emeritus

Stomp, men who can work in both wood and steel AND engrave, are as rare as hen's teeth. And add in creative designing, and ... well, you could be our next Johnathan Browning! Don't know what you do for a living, but you DO have a serious alternative! And I'm guessing you'd never fit into the corporate mold for a big gun company, but I could easily be wrong there. America has always produced some VERY talented men. Many never fulfill their potential. You may well want to consider your options?

Boolit Buddy
    I'll try to answer a couple of the questions.

This rifle weighs right at 8 pounds with a round in the chamber and the sling attached. Most of the mass is in the barrel, which is 22" long and makes the rifle balance a bit forward of the front of the receiver. I like the short overall length, combined with a forward weight balance makes it nice to carry, as well as shoot. I shoot better with a bit of extra muzzle weight.

4140 prehard needs no further heat treatment and is stupid strong as is.

I did the stock work, and all the metal work with the exception of farming out the chambering(I did cut the threads, both internal and external) since I have minimal experience with chambering.

I am just a simple guy, who likes to hunt and make things. I have spent a couple decades working with wood and steel. I spent a year or so studying the dehass books, especially "single shot rifles and actions" to learn what makes a single shot rifle tick. Then using that knowledge, I designed an action that I could build using minimal tools, that would look nice and handle well in the woods. I adjusted the original design to improve things I felt could use improving. This last one is superior to the first and second models, but those were good functional rifles anyway.
    The original is in many of my hunting pics, and if memory serves me correctly, has accounted for 11 big game animals spending the winter in my freezer.

I make no claims to any spectacular strength of this action, or that it is superior to any other design. It functions well, is plenty safe for my requirements, and was not too difficult to build. That I like how it looks as well is icing on the cake.

I'm not concerned about patents and such. I did this for me, because it's just my nature to make stuff. If someone else can find enjoyment from using my design, then great.

I will try and get a decent schematic drawing done in the near future.

Darcy
    nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently motivated fool

Horsepower will never be a substitute for shot placement

Very nice idea and execution.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master

Were it me, I'd get a hold​ of Miroku Corporation and see if they would market it under your own name with a % of the sales.

P.S.
    If there are new designs in the action, I'd consider patents on them. CYA
    Last edited by Hickory; 01-16-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Wow and Wonderful
    SWEET
    Thank you for sharing
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    beautiful, that's all!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast