Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: My Rifle Action

Boolit Master

Thanks for showing the rifle you built. A few months ago I was telling a younger guy at work who in interested in build a nice single shot to have look at an action of this type.

In last few weeks he has acquired the tools that would make doing this much easier. I'll have to tell him about this thread.

Boolit Master

############################
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Buddy
    Darcy,
    Thanks for building and posting this. I picked up a Marlin 45-70 barrel to build me one. I also have most of the material I need. I have enough 4130 prehard to make 2. If I don't screw one up, one will be 30-30 and one will be 45-70. First I am going to model one out of wood to work out any kinks.
    The barrels I have are shorter in the threads than what is in the 2nd addition prints so I may either need to extend them or just work around it.
    I am planning on using some of the aspects of your third model like the extractor and the lock up.
    Now I just need my shoulder to heal enough and get use back in it after the rotator cuff surgery.
    Again, thanks.
    Scott

Boolit Buddy
    Double post

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    RE: Lab Testing of A Completed Action.
    From My Reading; I Gather that In Europe, and many other none European countries, Laws RRequire Any Fireearm Offered for Sale to be Proof Tested by A CIP Certified Test House Before the sale can be completed.

That Would Imply that CIP Proof testing is Available for Moderate Costs as EVERY Sale Requires Re-Proof of the firearm to be sold.

Please correct me if I am Mistaken in my Understanding.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Your question, and TCLouis's in post 64, were very wisely and sensibly phrased for a thread frequented by people doing such work. I hope they have been adequately and factually answered, to the effect that neither some hypothetical lab nor amateur proof-testing are appropriate for someone prepared to put the OP's level of expertise, and no unwise level of optimism, into his design.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    t neither some hypothetical lab nor amateur proof-testing are appropriate for someone prepared to put the OP's level of expertise, and no unwise level of optimism, into his design.

The one thing everyone seems to be missing is how to go about this "lab" testing, that simply isn't done by anyone else homebuilding rifles anyway. Call around and find a "lab" that will even do this and certify the action to be safe and do it for less than the national budget!

BIS, you can "yeah but" this thread to death but NO ONE, at least here in the U.S. where it's not required, does this, no one has done it before and there is absolutely no reason to start now so what is the point? "Amateur" Pressure proof testing has been sufficient for untold numbers of firearms from the beginning and it's perfectly acceptable in the case of this rifle action here. If you want to continue with that BS then take the OP's excellent suggestion and start your own thread!
    Last edited by oldred; 02-14-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    2nd addition prints
    Where??? In more words, what prints and where are they located. I saw mention of another forum but not detailed enough for me to find it. At one time I had access to Inventor software that would ease design of an action, but a simple drawing showing the pin locations and general configuration of the parts could help avoid making parts that will not work. Obviously, this action works, but I don't understand how the lever is able to move the block without binding at the ends of travel. A drawing should make it clear. If Darcy does provide any drawings I would be glad to give him credit for the design if I ever get to build one. If I just work it out from pictures, I could not do that as there is no given name to the design, and if I call it a #3 45 Stomp and chamber it in 32 WCF, it would have little meaning to 99.999% of the people that might get to handle it. That would not be enough to allow anyone to find much information about the design.

I have worked a bit on a design for a falling block action, but am a long way from knowing if it will work.

Boolit Buddy
    I got my prints off of weaponsguild. There is a build thread on the single shot section, page 5 now by JoeyV. He built his in 30-30. I didn't find them on Google either but a couple of guys had them there. Not sure if Darcy drew them or not.

Boolit Master

Not this action here but there is an Ebay seller that has quite a number of different plans including those for the Sharps falling block and the HighWall for around thirty dollars. I have seen the plans for the HighWall that a buddy of mine has (he is nearing completion of his rifle now) and they are very complete, detailed and quite clear and easy to read. The HighWall set I saw would be a good place to start even if someone is more interested in designing something new, just studying the basic layout will answer most questions because the basic working geometry for almost any design will remain the same, working geometry like the above question about the lever and breech block. I know it's better to have actual drawings of the action a person wants but if that action does not yet exist then other resources can be used. The Frank DeHass books are also an EXCELLENT source of info and ideas but plans such as for the Sharps and HighWall give great insight into how these things work.

When I built my first rifle I started with photos, sketches and detailed notes from a disassembled original 1885 with the intent to use them for reference to build my own unique design. What I had in mind would not have used Browning's integral breech block/hammer floating hammer design, using the basic principles of the original I found it fairly easy to come up with something that worked well in a cut-away mock up but (in my case) I could not come up with the outside appearance I was looking for so I settled for a slightly modified 1885 design. But then that was just my project and my point is that just studying those drawings will provide a wealth of information no matter what you have in mind so long as it is a basic falling block design.

The first step is to get started! I know there will be many questions and the builder will go through a lot of head scratching and likely have to redo several mistakes but that's all part of the fun, heck if it was easy it would be boring. I am sure there would be answers to be found here for almost any problem someone might encounter, there are several machinists and machinist/gunsmiths here that I think would probably be quite willing to help with most any problem encountered. But again it's all just hypothetical until the project starts so let's get serious folks and for those who have been wanting to build a rifle now is the time!

BTW, it would appear that the OP's thread showcasing his fine accomplishment has been highjacked enough and I will be the first to admit that I am probably the most guilty one. So to that end if there is enough interest in discussing new designs, just building existing designs or just homebuilding methods, machinery, materials, resources or about anything else related to building a personal custom firearm how about we start a new thread?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    has been highjacked enough and I will be the first to admit that I am probably the most guilty one.
    While I am not the OP oldred you have been there and done that. Yours posts are based on first hand knowledge and they are always appreciated. No ignorance or "I read it in a book thus I am an expert" type comments in your posts.

Posts like yours and the OP's are what make this site great!!!!!!!!

I use to love the Benchrest Central Gunsmithing forum. The nations best accuracy builders would freely post there but they were driven away by the endless comments from the cluesless or limited understanding folks that believe they are gods gift to knowledge.

Chad Dixon

https://www.longriflesinc.com/
    https://www.longriflesinc.com/blogs/...petition-match
    https://www.longriflesinc.com/blogs/...petition-match

Alan Warner

https://www.warner-tool.com/custom-rifles
    http://www.6mmbr.com/warnerdie.html

come to mind but there was a bunch of others. Chad Dixon posted his method for chambering barrels. His and my method are basically the same. He was unmercifully crucified by the peanuts gallery even though his work held numerous world records at 600 and a 1,000 yards.

Same for this site. The ignorant or the trolls drove a lot of the true giants away. Yes I understand some got banned. Difference of opinion is one thing but it really gets old dealing with folks that make very bold statements of fact based on zero knowledge.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-17-2017 at 04:02 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Nice work. I mean NICE WORK Darcy. I remember reading your first falling block build long ago. Your new action looks great. Nicely done.

Jake

Boolit Master

NOW, I remember what drove me away from sharing information here!

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Man
    Stomp, that is one beautiful rifle. I built a de Haas vault lock years ago, and also a Chicopee center fire. I like your design much better. really nice grace lines. Your workman ship is really first rate, much better than mine. I hate to admit it but I was a T&D maker. Also love your engraving.
    Oklahoma. Quite possibly the reddest state in the U.S.A. 77 counties, 2 elections, and not a single one went for B.O. Uh make that 3 elections, we didn't care much for Hillary either.

Banned
    I think that John M Browning would like it. Can't think of a better compliment.

Boolit Buddy
    Just thought I'd share a couple pics of my engraving.

For those of you interested in a scale drawing of this action, I have it in progress, but been too busy to finish it yet. I will post it in this thread as soon as I get it done.

Cheers,
    Darcy

nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently motivated fool

Horsepower will never be a substitute for shot placement

Very nice Darcy! Looking forward to see the drawings.

Boolit Grand Master

Engraving is something I just don't have the skill set for. Very impressive work!!!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    That is beautiful!!
    Engraving is a skill I do not have, but wish I did.
    I have about the same artistic talent as my 2 yo daughter.
    I look forward to your drawings.
    Thank you.

Boolit Mold
    That is outstanding. Your engraving is really going to tie your gun together.

Jake

Moderator Emeritus

That's some very nice engraving, Darcy! I like the way a few of the points and side edges carry over into the margins. Kind'a makes it look a little more "organic." You really have some large talent, sir! Thanks for posting all this!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast