RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Accurate 32 H&R Mag Revolver Load?

Boolit Bub
    What primer are you guys using for the .32 mag? Should i use a magnum primer?
    Im thinking of starting a ladder that starts at 2,5gn of VV n320 and goes up to 3,5 and check pressures for every load.

Boolit Grand Master
    S/F--

My experience with the 32 Mag, which includes the use of hard-to-ignite spherical propellants like H-110/WW-296/WC-820/AA-9, indicates that SP Magnum primers are too much of a good thing in these small cases. As stated in Paragraph 3 of my past post, their use degraded accuracy and both CCI and Winchester SP primers had sufficient cup strength to endure even the most intrepid loadings without inordinate flattening or any piercing. My thoughts were and are that in such small cases a magnum primer is "over-priming" the cartridge. With the slowest powders (H-110 and WW-296) a moderate crimp and SP primers gave very little bore trash (unburned kernels) and consistent velocities.

In terms of published data for this caliber, the best and most thorough treatment I've found to date is given in the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 (1986).
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by jethrow strait View Post
    My results have been a bit disappointing so far, using Water's Pet Loads article as a guide. Have a like-new version of the old Single Six with adjustable sights and a lil H&R 3" stubbie. Grooves and chamber mouths seem to match up pretty well at .312"/.313" but accuracy has so far not compared with larger caliber Blackhawks, using both commercial cast and homecast boolits.

Appreciate any "pet loads" or suggestions.

Thank You, jethrow
    Ahh. The single six 32 mag. What a gem. I happen to have one that I got from a member here. When I first got mine, it wouldn't shoot worth a hoot. I tried just about everything (mine slugs at .3105") and just was not happy. Anyway. Long story short, it got set to Ruger to be retimed. Now it shoots great.

Mine likes heavier bullets better. My dad likes a particular 115gn bullet that he has for his, where my pet bullet is a 125gn hollow point.

Im not gonna say for sure, until I have time to look at home, but I think my pet load is 4gn of unique. I tried a few other powders, including bluedot, reddot, titewad, and H110 but it liked the unique load. Mine likes mid range loads, not mouse farts, and not mammoth stompers.

Here is the first target i shot with it after getting it back from ruger. 20 yards off hand. (This is good for me, im a horrible shot with a handgun)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412025148.719363.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	117804

Just noticed this thread was from 05. Wow.

Anyway. Should probably mention.

I size the bullets to .312"

And. I cast from ACCOWW

Rounded up a few photos of the bullets, and loaded ammo. It comes right the end of the cylinder when loaded.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412026012.757369.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	117812

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412026029.888646.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	117813

Boolit Grand Master
    I sure wish my 16-4 would perform as well with the heavy-weight bullets like it does with the 100 grain-class slugs. There is some solace in knowing that my 32-20s will sling them well, but I'm greedy--I WANT IT ALL, AND I WANT IT NOW!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I wish mine shot the lighter bullets. At 80gn i could get three shots for the same lead as two of these. Thats a extra 25 bullets for every box of ammo.

Boolit Bub
    Does anyone have experience with magtechs .311 74gn plated bullets with a M 16-4? Im thinking about ordering some when i order the brass (only using .32 S&W long right now, they are alot easier to come by here in Sweden). I need a load that is not dropping much at around 50-80 meter since i mostly compete in "field shooting" (fältskytte) where distances can vary from 10-90 meters
    Here is a youtube link for anyone intrested, kretsmästerskap is loosly translated "county championship" and this is the revolver division

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxcmMqq3LpY
    Last edited by Schnizel_fritz; 09-29-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Schnizel_fritz, I'm sure you've answered this before and I've just missed it, but why are you using plated vs conventionally lubed or powder coated bullets? I've shot "classic" cast bullets almost exclusively in my various 32s, except on the rare cases where I've resorted to jacketed factory loads. The only plated bullets I've ever shot were a few old factory rounds from an odd batch I found somewhere, but in such small numbers I haven't gotten a real feel for what advantage they offer. BTW, have you done any bullet casting of your own there? I know that to friends in other parts of Europe, the idea of hand casting at home is a rather "foreign" concept, but I don't know whether that is widespread. I guess I'm just old school, but plain old lubed cast bullets just "feel right" in my 32s, indeed for most of my guns.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    I havent started casting yet due to lack of a good space to do it in. Im using H&N bullets because they are cheap and has good quality.
    I talked with a proffesional reloader earlier today and we decided that a good starting load would be 3.2gn of VV n320. Im just waiting for the cases i ordered to arrive so i can start loading.

I can't recall ever shooting a plated bullet, ever. I don't remember when I bought a box of jacketed, but it was probably when i still had a 22/250, so a long time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Schnizel_fritz, I wish I could be of more help to you... unfortunately you're outside of my sphere of experience. I will however be watching for the results you get so that I can add that data to my own bank of knowledge. Please continue to keep us informed about your load testing and development. Hopefully some day we will have a variety of powders like the Vitavhouri family available here, and who knows, I may even resort to buying bullets. Then again, I may be able to transfer some of what you learn to use with hard cast bullets too.

All the best,
    Charlie, the Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    I just got my S&W Model 16 back from a awesome gunsmith. He fixed some issues I have been having with it, like a to thin yoke and a missaligned fire pin bushing. He also got me a DA-pull from heaven ( around 1.8 kg / 4 pounds ). I tried a .32 mag load i came up with and it seems good. It's 3.2 gn of Vitavouri 320 and 35 mm / 1.377 " OAL. Federal sp primer and I tried it at around 90 yards with my cars roof as shooting support and here are a group:
    I think it was around 2.5" but i never measured it.

Boolit Bub
    Here is a pic of the gun:

Boolit Master
    90 yards!!! That looks great to me. What bullet is that?

Boolit Bub
    As I wrote earlier in this thread it's a H&N 100gn .314 Rn from Germany.

Boolit Master
    When I had one of the original Ruger Single-Sixes 6 1/2" I used the SAECO 98 grain SWC mold. It cast HTWW at 104 grains. Unsized ahead of 4.5 grain of Unique it chronographed exactly 1200 fps. It consistently shot <2 inch groups at 25 yards which is about all I can manage with any revolver of any caliber.

It really comes down to how demanding a shooter's personal standards are. For me it was good enough for plinking, rabbits, pests, etc.

Boolit Grand Master
    Schnizle Fritz--

My Model 16-4 is nearly identical to yours, and shoots with similar groupings at extended ranges as well. It is among my most treasured firearms, by virtue of its accuracy proven over 25 years of ownership. It is to me the IDEAL small game and varmint revolver, and has taken hundreds of these critters from 25 to 125 yards.

I hope you are able to soon begin making your own bullets to feed your revolver. I heartily recommend the RCBS 32-98-SWC as my single-best bullet in 32 Magnum, in the S&W and in its predecessor Ruger SSM x 5.5". My mould drops bullets at a "fat" .315", and these size nicely for my revolver's throats of .314".

Dang. And I was happy hitting the 100 yard gong half the time with my single six. I do shoot off hand though.

Boolit Buddy

Geeze Fritz that's some great shootin' at 90 yards! Wish I could do that.

I have two 32's, a Ruger SS and a FA with 32 H&R/327/32-20 cylinders. I just got the FA and haven't had a chance to take her out for a spin yet. The Ruger has done best with 10 grains of H110 for about 1,340 with the 32-98-SWC cast from ww + 2% tin. At first I was a little apprehensive of that load since my velocities were way, way higher than SAAMI and what a lot of guys reported, but to date I haven't had any signs of pressure issues like sticky cases, flattened primers, etc. In fact the fired cases drop from the chambers the same as lower velocity loads - at least I couldn't tell the difference anyway. And, after the velocities 9.3X62AL reported I figure I'm not too much higher than what other's have shot in the SS. Those velocities certainly do make for a nice flat trajectory and it's lethal on varmints.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast