RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trap Line firearms

Boolit Master

Trap Line firearms

As the title says, trap line firearms. What's your preference rifle or pistol? Guess most don't use a shotgun to dispatch a fur bearer. I know I never did. Most of the time I had a Ruger Bearcat in .22, liked shorts better than long rifle, less damage.

Any way, let us know what you use, or use to use, out there on your line.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

I always carried a 22 pistol. However I did carry a 25 35 rifle when big stray dogs were in the area.

I use a Ruger Single Six. I also use the cheapest ammo of 22 lr.Since I am mainly only about the most 7ft from the animals.other wise point blank.No problems with fur damage.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I've carried a Ruger Single Six Since 1968.

Boolit Master

Thank you fellas. The reason I started this is, as everyone knows we here in Illinois recently got our right to CCW. I and my oldest brother ran a long line for 6 or 7 years. At first, we would uncase, load, check traps, unload, case, then go to the next stop and do it all over again, and again, etc.. After a week or 2 of this we were wasting so much time we said to heck with this. Started carrying concealed all the time, lucky we never got stopped or had an accident.

My FIL used a Ruger Single Six when he trapped.

I like the Ruger Single Six is that you can load one round if you like and turn the cylinder 4 clicks and you pull the hammer back and fire .You do not need to load the whole gun up.Now i have my CCW permit now I just load and that is it .but still if you need just one shot then you can just load the one round if you like.472 I use to do the way you done also because before we where able to get a CCW permit.So this gun work out fine for that.I been usen this since 1984 on my trap line before that I use a Savage mod 24 22/410. That was back in the state of MA.Back then the laws was not as bad there as they are now.

Boolit Master

I carry a 380 but seldom use it a good solid oak or similar type walking stick does a good job on most animals that are in my traps or snares.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

This has been my first year. Started out with the single six with shorts, then started using long rifles. Went back to the shorts so I only have one hole in them and they are little quieter.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

The fur market at the big sale dose not down grade your fur with (2) 22 holes.if you keep it mainly in the head no problems. The fur buyers that dose make a problem of it, then they are just trying to pay as little as they can.

Boolit Buddy

H&R Model 999, 9 shot 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Walla2 View Post
    H&R Model 999, 9 shot 22.
    I got one of those when I had won it at the Fur Fish Game both at a NTA convention that was at the time in MN. I have not shot it since i use my Ruger.

Boolit Master

I also carried the HR 999 but when I was a kid I just used a club still have it Attachment 185562
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I also carried the HR 999 but when I was a kid I just used a club still have it Attachment 185562
    I have a club that i keep for the small ones that is no need to shot them.

Boolit Master

Never used a club after the first I tried one. Had caught a red fox in a cow path set and my gun was like 200 yards away. Found a small tree limb and used it to dispatch the fox it with. Heck, I was only 13 at the time and never caught one be for. Well on the way back to the house 'it' came alive on my back. Needless to say when I regained my composure 'it' was DEAD. From then on no more clubs.

S&W mod 63, 4" bbl, SS, with .22 lr HP. Less chance they come out the chin of a beaver. On spring beaver snarelines I'm using a Ruger Single Six .32 mag, 4 5/8" bbl with a .32 long load(@ 630 Fps) with the RCBS 98 gr KT bullet. The reason being that I snare alot of steap banked rivers and creeks from a boat. The .22 kills them but with some thrashing around, while they are throwing mud and blood all over at the set location. Not good for a reset. The 32 is just lights out and I can throw them in the water to keep the set location cleaner. I got the NOE 314115 last winter in an RG4, so intend to try some heavier HP or DP bullets from that this spring. At the current price of .22 ammo I'm money ahead also.

Boolit Bub

Ruger Single Six or Smith 617 shorts in both.

I have a enough 22lr to hold me off for some time. But if the price of them dose not drop to a decent price i will save so many for the ones that use them and go with my 327 BH and shoot 32 S&W out of it or 32 S&W long

Boolit Buddy
    Gonna use my S&W 617 this year. Gonna try to find some of the segmented HP ammo. Ppl been using them for coyote dispatch. The fragments don’t appear to exit the chest using it.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I used a 22 revolver that I kept inside my parka. When they get cold, 22 rim fires don’t work. You should align the shot between the the eyes and so it goes into the body to stop it from damaging the pelt when exiting. If you get a round hole from whatever, never sew it up. Cut a diamond shape and sew that. It will be undetected as long as the fur side is out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast