MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading With Mixed Powders ?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Why , ol' Jug Johnson wouldn't be afeared to load 'em up . Prolly work good in thet round thet him n' Skeeter Skelton worked on .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutBuilder View Post
    Why are you being a jerk? Most of us are having fun with this thread.

We still are, and will probably have no trouble getting to work on Monday morning.

Banned

yup maybe you should cool your jets a bit. Not everyone is an experienced handloader and understands things like this. I give him credit for asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by 30Carbine View Post
    Go a head and load it y are you guy saying no. let him do it one less leach on the rest of the world. can't even fathom you thought of this much less asked the question here's your award. take the labels off and let GOD sort it out.

Good down gopher holes, unlit.

Boolit Grand Master

Muh Pappy mixed sum gun powder in wif his dog food fer the watch dogs around his still. Mad 'em real mean...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Why are you being a jerk? Most of us are having fun with this thread.
    You shouldn't be surprised...there is always one hanging around.

I suspect you really already knew the answer but asking first is always better than diving in without knowing the depth of the water. Sounds like you were using a impact bullet puller. When I use one to pull bullets and there is powder on the bullet lube I consider the powder contaminated and throw it away. Same thing for when I don't know what the powder is. That's just me though...

Boolit Master
    Be surprised what people will do, there was a member in another forum, he was here to for a bit. He had asked about grinding smokeless powder to change its burn rate. Obviously a bad idea, as how would you know the new burn rate without a laboratory? Not something your going to figure out with a stop watch. He argued and argued and argued. He wasnt gonna be bothered with buying a data book. Dont know if he blew himself up or not. But plenty of really questionable reloaders out there.

Boolit Master

But plenty of really questionable reloaders out there.
    Sure is. Main reason to not shoot someone else's reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutBuilder View Post
    These are leftovers, all dumped into one can. I didnt think there was any reloading use for them, but it doesnt hurt to ask.
    YOu would label that WT-F powder & toss it. There is no way to get an even mix of powder in one can like that. It would be diff every time you shook it up.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohon View Post
    You shouldn't be surprised...there is always one hanging around.

I suspect you really already knew the answer but asking first is always better than diving in without knowing the depth of the water. Sounds like you were using a impact bullet puller. When I use one to pull bullets and there is powder on the bullet lube I consider the powder contaminated and throw it away. Same thing for when I don't know what the powder is. That's just me though...
    Yep, I figured that I did know the answer, but wanted to find out if anything was useful with it. I do hate wasting stuff.

For awhile though I thought Hitalry was going to get us into it with Russia, or start a martial law, in which in either case, some certain materials like that might come in handy.

Banned

if we get in it with Russia some contaminated powder would be pretty far down the list of necessary items.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well to me there is a big difference between someone that ask a ? that turns out to be a bad idea and the person that is told something is bad and keeps doing it.
    I meet a fellow on the job site as we were talking he told me he reloaded for his 357 pistol. I asked him what bullet and powder he liked and his answer was the jacketed ones and he filled the case up and he really liked the big fire ball he got when he shot it. I told him there was load data for different powders and he could really hurt himself or someone around him doing that. He thought that was just funny and said hes been doing it that way for awhile with no problems. That is the guy as long as he is the only one hurt I really dont care since hes been told and refused to listen.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master

HS-6, IMR 4895, H-4895, Unique, WST and H-110 have a huge burning rate difference and that basically makes it unusable of most applications.

I mostly shoot long range competition I rarely purchase anything less that 8 pounds jugs simply because I don't want to deal with lot to lot variations so the idea of using contaminated unknown powder mixtures is totally foreign to me. That being said if it was just IMR 4895 and H-4895 you could use H4895 data since it's slightly faster.

Banned
    I met a guy at a range who was shooting a HiPoint 9mm (380?) He was shooting cast, probably pure lead, and hadnt apparently heard of a sizing die. I looked at his bore, and there was so much lead fouling, that I literally couldnt see the rifling. At All. I gave him a couple pointers which he quickly dismissed. I just wished him good luck.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Homemade fireworks
    Blanco thinking out of the box!
    Mix it 50:50 with black powder - pour and compress in small paper tubes - buy fuse from Powder Inc ( https://powderinc.com/product-category/fuse/ ) - put in tube - seal with hot glue - Happy 4th of July!
    Regards
    John

Banned
    I didnt think that was legal.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master

yellow jacket nest, tomato fertilizer, I guess surely you're joking but if it was a legit question these guys that came across real strong did so for a reason, and it's not because they don't like you
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

We used to roll our own firecrackers when we were kids...we back engineered a few duds to see what to do and then the day after the 4'th of July was just as much fun as the fourth....re-rolling duds...

Still have all the fingers and two good eyes...God loves me!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I have a fruit jar on my loading table that I put powder in. Its mostly from the 22's and other duds that I pick up at the range. When it gets full I pour it out on the sidewalk in a line and sneak up on the end and light it. The kids loved it and now the Grandkids do. Load it? No way! Never! Not Me! No way! Now, when I get down to the last few ounces of powder in a can I will dump it into a newer can of powder, shake it up well and load with it. I make double shure that its the same powder, number and brand, before I do this. Even with the shortages and inflated prices, using unknown powder is just too risky for me. I thought about using it in our cannon but the cannon was designed for black powder. Still too risky for me! I won't buy or use opened powder either. Just too risky!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast