Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: for those running 44 mags, a question on 432-265-RF 2 cavity PB (RD)

Boolit Buddy

for those running 44 mags, a question on 432-265-RF 2 cavity PB (RD)

I was looking at the 432-265-RF without the gas checks,
    do you still get good accuracy, functioning and will It work with light to mild loadings?,
    the original rd 240s my current mold only likes to be ran with really warm loads, for it to shoot,

didn't know if this bullet being a little different from the original tumble lube style , would do better at milder loads,

your comments,

Boolit Grand Master

The longer the boolit, any boolit or j werd for that matter, needs a higher rpm to stabilize. With the slow 1:38 traditional spec for 44 mag, it would stand to reason the heavier the boolit, thus length, the faster it will need to go to stabilize, resulting in accuracy.

As far as your particular boolit, I don't use it so can't specifically speak to that projectile but the reasoning is still there.

Hope that helps.

thats not to say you can't get decent accuracy at slower velocity with that boolit.

Boolit Master

Agreeing with what doc said above, you might consider dropping down to a 200gr boolit for lighter loads rather than going heavier.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

I have several plain base moulds for my 1894 Marlin and have no problems with leading even at max. powder charges. It has a microgroove barrel with 1:38" twist.

I bought a Lee mould in RanchDog's design with GC shank and tried it without the gas check. No success for me. I don't recall the charge but it would have been warm, less than max. but warm.

I have not tried that one with gas checks as I don't have any .44 gas checks and my PB moulds work well so I use them. I'm lazy and cheap so have not pursued gas checks in the Marlin. The Lee mould is tumble lube design where the NOE is regular lube grooves so the wider driving bands might help some.

I normally shoot 265/270 gr. boolits in the Marlin but also normally loaded from moderate to hot. I can's say whether that length of boolit will stabilize at low velocities using light loads or not but it is stable and accurate to 200 yards.

I did find through experimentation with an adjustable weight mould that boolits of much over 270 gr. do not stabilize in my gun past 75 to 100 yards. I was getting keyholes with 300 gr. boolits and they were at max. powder charges using H110.

The 265/270 gr. boolits seem to work well at any range I have tried them at but again, I normally load near max. for the Marlin.

RanchDog told me his design in 300 gr. remained stabile to 300 yards from his 1:38" twist barrel so I think the 265 gr. will be okay with light loads. You may get gas cutting without the check though. Load a few up and give it a go.

Longbow

IMO both Bzcraig and longbow gave you good advice, I would listen to them.

I especially think that 220's or 200's would be better for lighter loads rather than going heavier.
    Also saves on lead.

Boolit Buddy

Smile thanks,

think I might have a 200g mold (somewhere), makes more sense going down in weight

now to give that a try,

nothing like seeing NOE had those RD molds available again, just got me looking at the 265g, and thinking,

Banned

1 in 38" needs 2500 fps for stability. NOT in a .44 lever gun. Even a 200 gr needs driven, no light load will do it. You can't get a 265 RD up fast enough either. Been there, tried that.
    Sorry the horse died.
    Friend has a .444 with 1 in 38" and factory 240's go where they want. 75 yards at most.

Boolit Master
    NOE 265 RNFP (PB) in Marlin 1894 Carbine at 50 yards using only a camera tripod as a front rest. This is my deer hunting load and what I usually take out during the firearm season. Shots at deer, are rare at longer distances.

Winchester Super Brass, 16.0 grains of 2400, WLP primer. Plain base bullet sized to .432 diameter. Lubed with Carnuba Red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060258.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	185438

Winelover

Banned

Not good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlingroups.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	185520 Lube test with marlin at 50. 100 a **** shoot.
    yes, I got this at 50, A boolit nobody has but me, no good for deer though.

hmmm....
    I have a Marlin Cowboy 44-40 with a 1/38" twist.
    Lyman 429667 (252 grs w.w.+2%) / 1180 f.p.s. (black powder) / with a scope, shot into 2 MOA (6.5") at 300 meters (327 yards)

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 01-18-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian