Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: New project

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn

New project

I have started on a new project of building a cadet martini , into a sporter in 300Sherwood , I have the rifled barrel , and its profiled the same as a 310 cadet barrel action is well on its way to being blued .
    So what happens just 3 days before Christmas day ? My good friend passes away ,and as it turns out he has left me his recently completed custom built Martini in 300 Sherwood ,along with a few others. Poor bugger had it built and has been too sick to shoot it , I visited him back in July 2016 ,we were planning to take the new rifle out and shoot it ,but blitering cold weather ,and heavy rain made it too risky for him ,so now I have become the care taker of some of his collection ,some thing that will keep him in my memories until I am no longer drawing breath.
    So I now have to decide what to do with the barrel ,continue on my original plan and get it chambered for 300Sherwood , or find some thing I can neck down to 300.
    I am thinking along the lines of the 30-30 win case necked to 300 .
    I think this cartridge maybe named 30-Herret , not sure at all . Will have to look into it deeper .
    Does any one know if Im on the right track ? ,namely the 30-30 necked down to take a .300 diameter projectile is the 30 Herret.
    May end up going for a completely new barrel in another calibre .
    Last edited by BigEyeBob; 01-14-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Yup 30 Herrett is a necked down and reshoudered 30-30 cartridge. Great wildcat would make for a fun toy.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't the 30 Herret take a .308 bullet?
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Shortened 30WCF, .308 bore

Attachment 185242

But, that doesn't mean it couldn't be done with a smaller bore size,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    I'm curious what you use for cases for the .300 Sherwood. Internet searching shows it to be a straight wall case and looks to be around 1.500 long. If cases are available, it would make a great small game rifle.

I'd use his 300 sherwood but make the other up into a new wildcat - and name it after your friend.

30 Herrett, 300 Jameson, 300 Hulk, 300 (your friends name here)
    Last edited by Artful; 01-14-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by roadie View Post
    I'm curious what you use for cases for the .300 Sherwood. Internet searching shows it to be a straight wall case and looks to be around 1.500 long. If cases are available, it would make a great small game rifle.
    http://www.300sherwood.net/
    The cartridge itself is of a straight walled design with a rimmed case of length 1.54 inches, .320 diameter, and an overall length of 2.02 inches. The bullet diameter is .300 (not the much more common .308 diameter of the .30 caliber family of cartridges) and is generally provided with a 140 grain lead or "LT capped bullet". Barnes lists a muzzle velocity of 1400 ft/sec and a muzzle energy of 610 foot-lbs for a 140 grain JHP bullet as the factory load. A later chart in Barnes (p. 343) lists a loading of 8.5 grains of "Cordite" for a 140 grain lead bullet producing the same muzzle velocity as previously noted.

Two varieties of .300 Sherwood cartridges have been obtained by the author. Below is a scan of the two with the Kynoch example on top and an unknown manufacturer (no headstamp) below it. The Kynoch headstamp is also shown. The overall length of the Kynoch is 2.035 inches with a case length of 1.54 inches. The case diameter just above the rim is .318 very slightly tapering to .315, basically as straight wall case. The rim thickness is .045 inches. All of the dimensions are very close to the Barnes listing. A picture of the Kynoch box is also shown.

http://www.cartridgecollector.net/300-sherwood
    300 SHERWOOD

Probably from around 1904-05 and listed in the 1909 catalogue, it was developed by Westley Richards for use in single shot target rifles.

The above specimen is a South African loaded round by R.E.S. It was probably made in the late 1970’s to early 1980’s by a company with the initials R.E.S. somewhere in Midrand (Halfway House), South Africa. The cases have been reworked from surplus, un-headstamped flamethrower igniters from the then SADF (South African Defense Force). This form of igniter is identical in concept to the system used by the British at that time and earlier. What is further interesting here is the German description “NC – Zündhütchen”, which stands for NC - Primer and we assume NC denotes Non-Corrosive.
    The 130gr flat point lead bullet is covered with a durable dark red/brown wax. The AO is probably the batch/lot number and a upper case “A” is impressed into the green cardboard packaging. (From RSACCA Journal 2933/217/03)

cases from
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.as...56979&CAT=3835
    and Bertram
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/257...wood-box-of-20

https://www.huntingtons.com/store/pr...roductid=17118
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Artful, I think at those prices, I'll stick with a 32-20 or a light 30-30.

Initially I used 25-20 long single shot cases from Reloading International , I bought the basic case brass and just shortened them . Due to the ******** I have to go through importing cases from the US into Australia , I now use Bertram cases , but with the cases from my friend and those I have purchased myself , I have enough cases to last me a lifetime.
    Certainly the Herret necked to 300 would be a cracker of a cartridge ,the 300jamesion and the hulk I will research .
    My barrel slugs out at 301 across the lands .

Initially I used 25-20 long single shot cases from Reloading International , I bought the basic case brass and just shortened them . Due to the government bullsh*t I have to go through importing empty brass cases from the US into Australia , I now use Bertram cases , but with the cases from my friend and those I have purchased myself , I have enough cases to last me a lifetime.
    Certainly the Herret necked to 300 would be a cracker of a cartridge ,the 300 jamesion and the hulk I will research .
    My barrel slugs out at 301 across the lands .
    http://www.reloadinginternational.co...oducts_id=4110

The other cartridges were examples of naming a wildcat not recommendations for chambers per se.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    There is a cartridge called the 30 Johnson that is the 30-30 Winchester shortened and still has a .500" long neck, check out post #23.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...1-30-30-midget