RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you mark your converted brass?

How do you mark your converted brass?

I'm just starting to convert some 9mm Luger brass into 9mm Mak brass. What do you use to mark your converted brass. I could do nothing and try to sort it out later, but thought maybe a few extra minutes would be better initially.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)

Here is a previous post that describes how to color brass

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ng-brass-cases
    Last edited by Half Dog; 01-14-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typo
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    I had the same idea! Chuck each case in a small lathe and cut a very small score line in the center of the headstamp! I wouldn't groove them as deep as yours, just a lightly scored line would do, just enough to be visible and obvious. Only have to mark them once.

Boolit Master
    I don't own a 9mm so don't have to keep my cut down Makarov brass separated. If I had to, first thing that came to mind would be to use plated brass for one and plain brass in the other. Or, choose one brand of brass for one and never use that brand in the other. A simple check of headstamp would sort them.

Boolit Master
    I have not run. Into this problem yet. I did reformsome 308 &243 into 7-08 cases a long time ago. I just colored the bases with a permanent marker.

Boolit Buddy

If my new round will chamber in the headstamped chamber, I mark them. If not I don't get too concerned. Example: I made 7.5 French MAS brass from 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Won't chamber in the Swede so I don't bother.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

I had thought about steel stamping "Mak" on each one. A friend that is a jeweler has promised to make the stamp. Doing this would take about the same amount of time as chucking them in a lathe.

Banned

I don't have the need since I don't have a gun in the caliber I start with. So I know which it is. However, I do mark my test loads so I can test more than one load at a time, I use as many colors of permanent marker as needed. I put a mark on the case head and an x on the case side.

Boolit Buddy
    If I had both, I would not convert the 9mm luger brass. I'd find some other brass to use or maybe the right brass to use. I used to have a 308 and 243 that I took LC brass and sized down to 243. My kid came by one day while I was gone and decided to show his buddy how great a shooter my 308 was. He opened a box and looked at the head stamp and took the box of 243 stuff, embarrass himself pretty bad. He tols me he'd fire and the bullet's were hitting the ground about 20' from the barrel. I've never done anything like that again. My 6.5-06 ammo is made on 270 case's, I don't have a 270. If I didn't have a 243 and 308 still, well I wouldn't make case's out of anything else, case's over their life span are cheap. To easy to have two rifles from the same case and mix up rounds by only noticing the head stamp. My son has never made that foolish mistake again!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordcragar View Post
    I had thought about steel stamping "Mak" on each one. A friend that is a jeweler has promised to make the stamp. Doing this would take about the same amount of time as chucking them in a lathe.
    Marking test load, I write the load on the side of each case with a felt tip pen.

My reason for the conversion is purely economics. I have thousands of 9mm Luger brass and 9mm Mak brass is about $0.18 each. The Luger brass is cheap or free. So for a 1000 pcs of 9mm Mak brass plus shipping, I'm looking at about $200. For a retired guy it isn't always easy to come with an extra $200. If it was easy to retrieve all my brass it wouldn't be an issue, but my P64 and CZ82 launch the brass into the next county.

Boolit Master
    For Makarov brass you might consider using military head stamped brass with no caliber nomenclature.
    EDG

Boolit Master

I mark the BOX and then pick up the brass after firing before I get
    out a box of a different cartridge.
    But pistol ammo is rarely modified except for my 22 Harvey K-Chuck.
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

Fordcragar, I understand your situation, when we're young we think things can last forever. I was declared disabled in 2013 after 50 years of blue collar work. So I have to be very frugal in my reloading. Thats why I use the permanent marker for convewrted cases. But I do like EDG's idea for your conversions and you could use your new stamp on them right on the head.

Boolit Master
    I have take a small triangle file and cut a small notch on the rim, I did that years ago when I had a 280 Rem using 270 brass.

Boolit Master
    I use different color boxes. And label each box, inside and out.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    For Makarov brass you might consider using military head stamped brass with no caliber nomenclature.
    I like this idea, but I have at least 10,000 9mm Luger cases. So I'll probably not look for any of them, unless I run across some for free. The nickel plated cases would be a good idea, but I probably only have a handful of them.

At one of the ranges that I shoot at, I might be able to collect half of the brass that I shoot, with the P64 or CZ82. So investing in throw away brass isn't something I'm too interested in.

Another place that I shoot at, is actually a group function, the brass is collected after the shoot and made available at the next event; which a good deal as I'm one of the only reloader, so I can pick up more than I shoot at each event.
    Last edited by Fordcragar; 01-16-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    The fast and simple marking that makes sorting fired cases easy is to take a red or blue sharpy and color in the extractor groove. At this location, the color will stay put pretty good unless you tumble/vibrate to clean your brass.

Boolit Master
    Will you also be leaving the miss marked Makarov brass behind at these ranges?
    If you do you might buy a steel stamp set and XXX out the "Luger". I don't think leaving what constitutes as defective brass for others is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordcragar View Post
    I like this idea, but I have at least 10,000 9mm Luger cases. So I'll probably not look for any of them, unless I run across some for free. The nickel plated cases would be a good idea, but I probably only have a handful of them.

At one of the ranges that I shoot at, I might be able to collect half of the brass that I shoot, with the P64 or CZ82. So investing in throw away brass isn't something I'm too interested in.

Another place that I shoot at, is actually a group function, the brass is collected after the shoot and made available at the next event; which a good deal as I'm one of the only reloader, so I can pick up more than I shoot at each event.
    EDG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast