MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: WTB Easy case cleaner

Boolit Bub

WTB Easy case cleaner

Whats a case cleaner or rinse that I can use after resizing, sometime the cases feel like that have some lubricant still on the outside. Would like my cases to be lube free, Any suggestions, Thanks

Boolit Master
    Well I don't Know about a Rince but I remove The lube with Acetone also Mineral sprits.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

For RCBS case lube and quantities of 20-50 I use a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol. I spray an area of the shirt with the alcohol, spread out the casings, spray again and then pick up the corners and rub the cases in the rag for a while. Safe and easy.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Dish soap and hot water. Same as you use to wash dishes. It will remove the lube. Then let the brass dry. This message was too short to post so I am adding words so it will be long enough to post.

Tumble them works for me.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

You can tumble them but that risks getting a piece of media stuck in the flash hole, just have to check each one after tumbling. Also you can wipe each one with a rag moistened with alcohol or acetone. Quickest way I think would be to put them in a container and pour some alcohol over them then swish them around abit then take them out and let them dry, by using alcohol they will dry quickly.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the reply's . Will try the recommendations and us which ever is the easyest

Boolit Grand Master

If I don't tumble them again I lay them on an old towel, spray them with brake cleaner and roll them around some.

Moderator Emeritus

Not to play "devil's advocate", but to perhaps add a thought: After (thanks to this site) learning about stainless steel pin tumbling with lemon-shine and Dawn -- the latest and greatest enhancement was/is to add Armor-All Wash'n Wax or similar to the mix -- the operative word here being "wax" -- as by having the remaining micron-thick coating of the wax on your bright, shiny newly tumbled brass -- its getting oxidized and/or getting tarnished and dull looking is greatly attenuated .
    This IS a hobby, and whatever any of us do or don't do (as long as safety's not jeopardized ) is more than cool.
    I'm just suggesting the remote possibility that, if it were me, and perhaps if -- to use YOUR words, "sometime the cases feel like that have some lubricant still on the outside" -- I'd check if that was not in fact WAX -- which, again, may be beneficial.
    Just some too-early morning thoughts...
    BEST!
    geo

I really have a sophisticated setup. A clean 5 gal bucket and a smaller 2 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom. Hot water, about a tablespoon of citric acid and a dab of Dawn dish washing liquid. I put the hulls in the smaller bucket, and then put the smaller bucket in the larger one holding the cleaning solution. About 10 minutes later they shine like new money.

Boolit Grand Master

I decap with a universal decap die, recently doing it in the living room with my Buchanan Hand press. Then wash in citric acid and dry with a towel and run through the vibrating tumbler with Lizzard Litter - I haven't knocked a piece of it out of a case in years. Then I resize with the primer pin in place, it will knock out any walnut that may be left, using a small amount of Bag Balm as lube. This wipes right off. With pistol ammo I lightly lube about every third case.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I just throw them back in the tumbler for a bit. I use drill spot media which will not get stuck in primer pockets.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I just throw them back in the tumbler for a bit. I use drill spot media which will not get stuck in primer pockets.
    Same except my media is fine crushed walnut from Harbor Freight.

Boolit Master

I just load them up then give them a quick trip through some corn cob.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

"Feels like", how much is really on the cases? A light film won't hurt anything and will protect the brass from tarnish. For small amounts I just lightly wipe with a paper towel as I don't want nekkid brass (no thin coat), but you have already gotten several methods to remove the case lube...
    My Anchor is holding fast!