RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVA--Deer Creek

Boolit Buddy

CVA--Deer Creek

I've come across a CVA mountain rifle but I'm unsure of the specifics. I believe it has a Deer Creek barrel on it as it just says Connecticut Valley Arms Inc, Black Powder Only 50 Caliber. It doesn't say made in USA or Spain and there are no Spanish proof marks etc. It also has a pewter nose cap and looks like Deer Creek trigger guard. I'm unsure of the time period this rifle might be from as well as did Deer Creek make these rifles or supply parts to CVA? I assume they are better than the Spanish made CVA?

Perm-Banned
    i have built 3 deer creek cva rifles. i cannot tell you if yours is deer creek or not. the deer creek ones have a 1/60 twist and the ones made overseas are 1/48 twist. the 1/60 twist barrels are made at deer creek. they are tackdrivers and 1 hole guns at 100 yards even with 100 grains of real black behind the ball. i gave one of the finished guns to a minister and sold two to my neighbor. the deer creek ones had real maple stocks as the cva overseas ones were most likely beech. if the price is right and it has a 1/60 twist then you got your self a very good gun. they will take deer to 200 yards.

I have heard they are great, but cannot say first hand as I have never owned one. Pull the barrel and look under it to see if there are any stamps or markings.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Perma-Banned
    I had a Deer Creek in 45 caliber. it shot great & is now the favorite gun of the feller I sold it to. if yers has that God-awful triggerguard that looks like it belongs on a double-barrel shotgun Deer Creek has the correct mountain rifle guards listed on their site.

Banned
    cva had 1:66 mountain rifle barrels in 45-50cal. I believe the 54 and 58cal were actually the slower 1:72 twist.

Boolit Buddy
    Here are a couple of poor pics. I'll know better when I have it in hand and will post some better pics.

Last edited by BPJONES; 01-13-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ive been told those are some great shooters, I had a chance to pick one up a few years ago, but I didn't really have the money, and I didn't really need it, so I passed.

You have a regular CVA Mountain Rifle with a Maple stock. These were made in Spain and with some legal wrangling there are no proof marks on any of them.

Yours appears to be of the time period from 1979 through 1984 by the looks of it. Many of the later guns had chromed bores at times, 1:48 twist at times, walnut stocks at times and different trigger guards. All the early .45, .50 and .54s were 1:66 Twist. The .58s were 1:72.

Yours is also probably a kit gun due to the plain barrel but I'd have to see the cheek piece to be sure. But then again, a lot can happen in 35 years.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Buddy
    I thought if it is a Spanish gun the barrel will say "made in Spain" and or have other markings indicating powder charge etc. This barrel has no other markings. I also read that the Spanish guns will have brass furniture and quite possibly beech stocks.
    I've come across several other posts indicating that guns that were marked the way this barrel is marked , along with the furniture, were Deer Creek and supposedly the barrels have Douglas rifling? I did read that with the Spanish guns there was a controversy as to whether or not the guns were actually proof tested but that they still bore the Spanish proof marks. I have another Spanish muzzleloader, and have seen a few others, plus I have several Spanish double barrel shotguns. They all bear Spanish proof marks as it is law to be stamped as such in countries that have proof laws, which is most countries except North America. Whether those Spanish CVA's were actually tested before being stamped with the proof mark was the controversy.
    Last edited by BPJONES; 01-14-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Boolit Master

Deer Creek rifled their barrels in house and as someone else pointed out they shoot very nice. Mine didn't start shooting good till I loaded a 100gr of 3F. It is a 50 and has put several deer down. Since Deer Creek has been sold I'm not sure what things are like up there but they offer a lot of the CVA parts.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    I was out at deer creek during deer season, and apparently the new owners are firing up the barrel making lathes to go back into production. I don't recall if they are going to sell the barrels or if they are only for rifles and rifle kits.

Perma-Banned
    they list in-the-white Mountain Rifle barrels on their website in 45 & 50 caliber, flint or percussion for $115.00 no matter which. no complete Mountain Rifles are listed.

There is all kinds of misinformation floating around as gospel when it comes to the CVA and Deer Creek MRs.

I try to base my information partly on all of the ones I've handled and own and my extensive list of CVA catalogs which show the differences between years if any.

All MRs have German Silver and or steel furniture. The CVA Frontier Rifle is very similar and had brass furniture; its brass nose cap and escutcheons could interchange. After 30-40 years, one could see a rifle in any kind of configuration but seeing it in such condition does not necessarily mean it is in its original condition.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Perma-Banned
    BPJONES, Its a nice lookin old rifle!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by swathdiver View Post
    There is all kinds of misinformation floating around as gospel when it comes to the CVA and Deer Creek MRs.
    I guess my main concern has to do with the barrel. No doubt this gun likely has a Spanish lock on it. I'll know more today as it is supposed to be delivered today. It's just that any barrel that I have seen on a firearm, and I have many, from a country with proof laws were marked with some kind of marks, even going back over 180 years. Even Randy Wakeman who kind of stirred up this CVA being dangerous hornets nest, remarked in his articles that the Spanish guns bore some kind of markings but cast doubt if they were actually ever tested. That, and several posts on the net by those who say barrels unmarked such as these were by Deer Creek with Douglas rifling, creates confusion. It will be the first barrel I have come across from another country with proof laws that didn't bear some kind of marking but I guess there is a first time for everything. As an aside, several people who have barrels unmarked ,such as this one, claim they are very accurate and I have come across no reports of these barrels blowing up. So if they are Spanish barrels ,it kind of casts doubt on Randy Wakemans reports from back then, in my opinion.

Banned
    cva never had any issues with the spanish barrels, especially in the sidelock version. Its the dummy behind the trgger that causes the problems. CVA stopped making them however, due to people not caring for the nipple/ nipple threads and then trying to sue them when they'd blow out. I've got one of the USA made Mountain rifle barrels from 1976-77? first year mr and sadly, someone has abused it, BUT, it just might be a shooter once cleaned up.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know if it's true but heard at one point in time, CVA imported barrels particularly for the Mountain rifles, unbreeched thus the no proof marks and then the breeched them, themselves.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    My old CVA MR .50 is a tack driver for sure. Says 'Spain' on the barrel.

Perma-Banned
    the Deer Creek I had, and the several others I've seen, had absolutely no markin's at all except the caliber stamped on top of the barrel near the breechplug & maybe a serial number. and had the most gosh-awful triggerguard ever put on a gun. looked like it belonged on a double-barrel. Deer Creek musta got a heckuva deal on'em somewhere to even consider usin'em. that gun was a tack-driver though.

Banned
    I like that DC trigger guard, it allows for gloved trigger finger VS cvas smaller trigger guard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast