RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting a .358 cast(38 spec.) out of a .355 9mm?

Shooting a .358 cast(38 spec.) out of a .355 9mm?

Can or has someone used a 38 spec.(358) cast bullet sized to a 9mm (355). I just tried to size some 38's through my Lee push through die 9mm. If I load these in my 9mm will there be ill effects?. thanks, Richard..

Boolit Buddy
    There shouldn't be any problem. I normally size my 9mm's to 356 or more. Slug your barrel and sized for one or two thousandths over.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one 9mm pistol that has a groove diameter of .358", so to be sure of your gun's dimensions, slug the barrel to be sure...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    What weight boolit is the 358? The weight will determine problems more than the size. As long as the sizing process doesn't wipe out the grease groves your ok. Johnny

Boolit Master
    Guys, i think hes asking if we have ever sized a 358 boolit to 355 to use in a 9mm.

To answer that, im sure somebody has, but pushing a commercial cast boolit to size down 3 thousandths was prolly pretty hard pushing. Having said all that, the above advice from the guys is still good advice. Slug your bore. Size your boolits 2 thousandths more than groove diameter. Bet youll find 358 sized boolits will most likely work.

Boolit Mold
    I run 2 different Lee 358 boolits (125 gr and 158gr) through a .357 sizing die after powder coating them and run them in my Ruger SR9c. They work great. The thing you need to watch is that some 9mm autos are picky about the shape of the bullet when feeding (or so I've read). I haven't had that problem. I did have a problem getting them to run without leading when using lla for lube. Powder coating solved that.

Boolit Master
    As sigep pointed out about the op's question. Yes I have sized 358 boolits down too 356. My son and I tried some Lee 105 gr swc in his Ruger P 89. They didn't shoot as well as the Lee 120 gr RN.

thanks guys, I have some 130 grain 38's that I'm going to try out of my Kahr cw9..

No issues for me.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

There is a great deal of misunderstanding and perhaps misinformation out there regarding the weight and size of boolits that can be utilized in 9mm semi-autos, not that I have it all figured out. I only know what is working for me. Currently I am using in my 9mms a 125 gr. boolit from a Lee 6-cavity mould (sized at .3585 and lubed it weighs closer to 130 grs.). Works well in my Sig P938 and a CZ clone. While neither of these two pistols and another full-sized Sig I have loaded for have presented a problem, chamber dimensions and chamber to bore dimensions do vary and can present problems. Trial and error seems to be the only answer in some cases. Follow closely the above information and cautionary notes and you will be in the ball park. You may not have to size down to .356 to achieve success. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    Both of my 9mm, one a Glock and one a Ruger, prefer .358 boolits. That's a good thing, since my Colt revolver likes them too.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    There is nothing like testing. If you find there is too much force required, sizer down in two steps.

If the bullet does not lead, and accuracy is acceptable why have two molds?

Don Verna

Vendor Sponsor

My Sig P250 9MM prefers .358 sized bullets as well
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I use the same boolits in 9mm that I use in .38sp and .357mag. sized.358 for best accuracy.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Banned

all I shoot is 358 in my 9mm's.
    I shoot that in my 357 mag and my 358 win too.
    I only have the one sizer.

Boolit Grand Master

As long as the bullet design will work you should not have any issues. Now sizing it down to .355 will most likely cause leading. I have one 9mm that won't take a bullet larger than .356. The rest will take .358 w/out issue.

I normally get a mold for use in my 357/38spl and size it down for my 9mm that way I do not need as many molds for the 9mm. Also like stated some 9mm will take 358 in there barrel. I have one that dose.Also slug your barrel.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I have one 9mm pistol that shoots shotgun patterns and keyholes at 20 feet unless fed .359 or bigger cast. Happens to be a Hipoint C9, their Carbines do fine with .356.

So since I wanted a .358 for .357 mag in a smaller boolit (use less lead) anyway I ordered a Lee 6 cavity .358 124 gr TC. With my alloy it drops .359 .3595 or .360. I did not even size them. Lubed 2 coats with BLL, made sure the cases had a good flair on them and primed and loaded them up. Pistol shoots like a champ now, no more keyholes and group dropped from 8" or bigger at 20 feet to 2.5 inches or smaller.

Keep it within reason but 3 thousandth's is pretty dang small.

Plunk test of course.

Moderator Emeritus

My C9 barrel slugs at .358 so I shoot unsized as cast Lee 120TC boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 125 gr. RNFP at .358 with good results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast