Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting a .358 cast(38 spec.) out of a .355 9mm?

Boolit Master
    I use the 160 gr RN lead meant for the 38 Super. With the Lee Factory Crimp die, it sizes the bullet to fit the chamber. Load it to "plunk" and fit in the magazine. Should be no problem. The 160s are more accurate in my 9mm guns and use less powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Guys, i think hes asking if we have ever sized a 358 boolit to 355 to use in a 9mm.
    I do it all the time. I have a mold for a 125 gr. RNFP bullet that I use for 3 calibers; 9mm, 38 Spec., and 357 Magnum. My 9mms get sized to .356" and .358". My 38s all get sized to .358", my 357 Mag. gets a 357"+ bullet. Just depends on the gun's dimensions...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I developed one a little while ago. I used a .38, 150 gr SWC. This thread details all the advice i recieved when i developed my load. Should give you a head start.....
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...bullet-in-9-mm

Boolit Grand Master
    .358 out of the 9mm for me. .356 will pattern at 50'.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I have a .38 super with a .356 barrel, i size my projectiles to .357 or .358 and they work great. Everything i have read on the internet has lead me to believe that a few thou over isn't an issue in cast lead, jacketed is a different story.

Boolit Buddy
    All my Glocks use .355 except my 26 which uses .358. All my AR9 carbines use .355 and have never had a leading problem.

Boolit Bub
    I load the Lee 358-158 SWC boolit in 38/357, 38 Super, and 9mm. Great sub sonic load in the 9, hits my plates with a pretty good wack!

I keep reading about people doing this, but I've had no luck with it. I have the Lee 356-125 2r rn mold that drops at .357, after PC they are .358. I've loaded up some test loads and they wouldn't chamber in my friends guns, a S&W, H&K, SCCY and even a High Point. No love in any of them.
    I had break them all down then resize to .356 and reload them. So far they seem to function well in the guns tested.
    So as others said, slug your barrel and if you intend to use multiple guns, plan to size them down.
    Yes, you can size them down without issue.
    I bought this particular mold knowing it dropped oversize bullets, this allows me to use one mold for 38/.357 and 9mm from one mold.

The 356-125-2R bullet has a long vertical side at max width. If that side sits above the rim, many guns with narrower throats will not allow the bullet into it. The TL356-125-2R has a distinct shoulder. So long as that shoulder sits at or below the rim, you can seat an unsized 0.358" bullet into it and so long as the brass fits in the chamber, the bullet will not get hung up in the barrel. Same goes for the 356-120-TC. If it drops fat, as long as you seat the cone flush with the rim, you don't have to size it but you are seating the bullet deeper than typical so you must adjust your charge for the smaller volume. Of course a plunk test is still essential to make sure no part of the cartridge is hanging up in your barrel.

I size 9mm for my glocks to .359. They chamber just fine with mixed head stamp for the past 5k rounds, and did just fine for the past 10k+ at .358
    I find best accuracy with 50/50 pure:coww
    Have not cleaned the bore, only check every thou or so, still mirror shiny. If you didn't know any better you'd swear I just cleaned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12