Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Winchester Cooey model 39

Boolit Master

Winchester Cooey model 39

I have a friend who is in need of an extractor for his bolt.Any ideas? Numrich is a no go.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master
    It looks very much like the same extractor and bolt as the tube-magazine Cooey 60. Gunparts do have a complete bolt assembly for both this and the Cooey 600 at $38.60, classified under Winchdster, and an extractor for these rifles at $14.10. You would have to either check up or rely on their returns policy (which sounds good) for the bolt, but there is a good chance that the extractor could at the worst be modified by filing or grinding.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.htm?s=cooey

Ah, memories! My first gun without air coming into it was the Webley 9mm. shotgun, and my first rifle (all duly licenced at the age of 17, and the cause of some consternation when the physical education teacher tattled to his father) was the tube-magazine Cooey 60. It was actually very accurate - I can't think why, with the bifurcated forend, massive cocking-piece and poor trigger pull), but I found it an unloveable rifle. The magazine actually moved with the bolt, quite noisily, and became sticky when the bent and one of the welded lugs for it on the receiver cracked. The extractor started to bend its lips slightly, too. (I would expect to find it rarer than most other parts today.) It would have been far better as a single shot or box-magazine rifle.

There might be more chance of official 39 spares in Canada, but at a pinch the extractor could be made. Just cut and bend the thin sheet steel while annealed (a cheap wood saw is a good way of acquiring some locally), and when it is done, heat red-hot and quench in water. On no account bend it at all, as it will be glass-brittle. Immerse it in just enough engine oil to cover it, ignite the oil with a torch, and you should have a spring tempered ejector when the flames die down.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=532504

Boolit Buddy
    I seem to recall the Cooey extractor having a round lug at, or near the base. Might be a bit tougher to make one. Extractors falling out was common, or blowing out with a burst case.

The 39 single shot was my first rifle, saved up for months to get it. It seemed to be quite accurate, lots of game fell to it anyway. I think ammo was around .59 cents at the time.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

I wish I could help. I have a few Cooey M39 extractors on hand................but I can't ship them to the US.

RRR

Please Note: The extractors are all sold. I do not have any left.
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 02-05-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    Just think of the hammering armed crime is taking from all this... But you might be able to give a bit of feedback on whether the 69 or 600 extractor in the Numrich website looks right. It was a long time ago, but I don't remember any part of mine that wasn't a single piece of sheet steel, or could have fallen out.

Boolit Master

Don't you just love it when you have something you can't get parts for?

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    I wish I could help. I have a few Cooey M39 extractors on hand................but I can't ship them to the US.

RRR
    Well, you may not be able to ship a "gun part" to the US, but surely you can ship a "metal pressing".

I have had plenty of metal parts sent to me, even a "hydraulic tube"!

And I've sent "fishing sinkers" to folks on this forum.

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.jackfirstgun.com/ might have them and ebay has them sometimes.

Boolit Master
    Are all parts of guns gun parts? I don't know the exact US definition, but plenty of parts on Gunparts don't carry the export prohibition notice. In the UK controls are only on parts capable of use which actually bear pressure in the moment of firing. Of course plenty of sellers will just ban everything to be on the safe side. Getting caught out can put them in worse trouble than not having a .22 extractor.

Boolit Master
    When I received a PH5A sight from South Africa the box was marked "Machine Parts", I wondered why at the time.

Boolit Master
    Yes, and very often it is the largest and most reputable companies that are most punctilious about the regulations. It is now nearly impossible, for example, to get small-scale export of barrel blanks from the US, although as long as they are unthreaded and unchambered, they are as free as a walking-stick of import controls in the UK. There is a www.brownells.co.uk which imports in bulk, its weekly order with a single export licence I should think, but the difference in price would make your eyes water.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 01-15-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    I recently saw a Cooey 39 for sale at a LGS.
    It is missing the firing pin and extractor.
    I am considering picking it up and making the parts myself.
    I do that on a lot of guns.
    But if the parts are available in Canada , I may just have to find someone willing to ship me Machine Parts.

Boolit Master

Try western gun parts (canada). Failing that I make them.
    The Cooey 60 and 600 have duel extractors/rim guide, can't make those.
    The Cooey 39 extractor is the same as the Cooey 75, 82, etonia, sure shot, ace and ranger. No doubt I missed a few.
    Brp guns had some many years ago.
    Accessing the firing pins on these rifles requires a special tool. Pm me if you want to kick that hornets nest.
    Be well
    Last edited by leebuilder; 02-04-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

I talked to my friend today,he is still looking.No luck as of yet.If you got an idea,let me know.

Boolit Master
    Thank You Leebuilder.
    On the rifle I saw that was missing the firing pin, you got me thinking.
    If it takes a Special too to access the firing pin on a Cooey 39, then there is a good chance that some Bubba has screwed up tthe bolt getting the old one out.
    I may have to pass on that rifle, untill I know more about them and can see if the bolt is messed up.
    But, I do love a challenge, even on a Cheap gun.
    I just hate Wall Hangers.

Boolit Master

I hate wall hangers too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-02-17 18.20.10.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	188325

Here is a drawing of the tool I make up for removing the firing pins from Cooey bolt actions, with minor tweeking it will fit single and tube fed models. I give the tool away with the rifle just in case the retaining screw backs out.
    I put the bolt in a vise and pull the cocking piece back insert the tool and release the cocking piece, then simply turn the screw out, I use a small adjustable wrench or channel lock type pliers.
    Note file the knubs to fit the slots in the retaining screw.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    Thank you Leebuilder.
    I may have to go over and see if the rifle is still on the rack.
    And now have a better idea of what to look for in any damage.