Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Roofing Lead + Powder Coating = ?

Roofing Lead + Powder Coating = ?

I'm sure the answers are here somewhere via the Search Button, but...

I've been fortunate enough to get a lot of flashing and pipe jacks from my roofers lately, and I've been busy melting it all down into ingots. I intend to powder coat everything I cast, once I get started.

I know that roofing lead tends to be on the soft side, but can I use it in its pure form if powder coated for say 9mm, 40S&W, and 30 Carbine? Or am I going to need to alloy it with something else first?

Yes you can

but id recommend adding some tin or antimony or some ww.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

even in the 30 carbine? not too sure about that... you may be right, but if it were me I'd mix in at least1/4-1/3 weight in WW's ( clip on). good luck, Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

Seems to me the 30 Carbine would need it the most, running at the most pressure and speed. I have used 50/50 pure/WW in 9mm with no problem.

Lead roof flashing and jacks are as close as you can scrounge for pure lead. You could sell or trade it for harder alloys.
    A deplorable that votes!

Thanks, all!

Boolit Master
    I get about 300 lb of lead flashing scrap a year from the roofers and plumbers on the construction projects I manage each year,
    I also powdercoat.
    But I still mix in something to harden the lead up, but mostly to make it cast better.
    So far I have not had leading problems up to 900 FPS in the .38's .45 ACP or 9mm's.
    I pick up old spools of solder that the plumbers leave laying around the job that still have a wind or two of solder left on the roll that they are throwing out. Or even piles of the melted solder drippings left on the floor where they assemble fittings in one spot.
    That gives me enough Junk Tin to add to the roofing lead and still no cost for that material.
    But I do my own smelting of other blends, and have all the New Pure Tin and Raw Antimony for making all the things like Lino an Monotype for Shooting at really high speed or pressure.
    But when you get material for Free, like the roof lead and trashed lead free solder, then use it and keep your plinking / Practice ammo at a lower cost.

Hit some thrift shops for pewter. Elmer Keith, depending on the source, did his .44 mag work with either 20/1 or 16/1 alloy.
    The reason to hit them now is lots of folks wait until December to clean house. That stuff should be hitting the shelves now.
    For some antimony, a single slab of Rotometals Super Hard (30% antimony, 70% lead) can give you a lot of very decent alloy and it's $18.29 today. Free shipping over a $100 so hit up your buddies to share an order.

Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Hi, I am looking to trade for some pure soft lead for swageing. I have much WW lead to trade either in ingot form or still in raw WW If interested in working a trade perhaps we could both walk away happy. Thanks for your time. D. C.
    Dennis Eugene "You know why no one panic buys 30-06? Because people who shoot 30-06 don't panic"

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Hit some thrift shops for pewter. Elmer Keith, depending on the source, did his .44 mag work with either 20/1 or 16/1 alloy.
    The reason to hit them now is lots of folks wait until December to clean house. That stuff should be hitting the shelves now.
    For some antimony, a single slab of Rotometals Super Hard (30% antimony, 70% lead) can give you a lot of very decent alloy and it's $18.29 today. Free shipping over a $100 so hit up your buddies to share an order.

Good luck.
    I'd say you are spot on with that. After looking for two months and coming up empty handed, I've managed to score 3.5 lbs of pewter in the last 3 days at the local Goodwills. Only paid $6 for it all, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Eugene View Post
    Hi, I am looking to trade for some pure soft lead for swageing. I have much WW lead to trade either in ingot form or still in raw WW If interested in working a trade perhaps we could both walk away happy. Thanks for your time. D. C.
    Let me stockpile a little more pure lead from my roofers and I'll be reaching out to you for a trade for sure. Thank you very much for the offer!

Boolit Master
    Thanks look forward to hearing from you. D.C.
    Dennis Eugene "You know why no one panic buys 30-06? Because people who shoot 30-06 don't panic"

Boolit Buddy
    Well ..after two hail storms here in San Antonio... I hit the roofers hard and heavy...plenty of roof lead...GOOD STUFF! And yes...I alloy with WW's and some pewter.... so...lets say 60% lead...40% WW's..(getting harder to find) and some pewter from where ever I can find it....

I heavy flux with sawdust and sulphur....GET BACK JACK!!! STINKS...STINKS...STINKS!!! ( I told THREE TIMES!!) mix well...flux with sawdust a second time and I always finish with wax.... Don' do this in a incorporated City Limits... FOLKS DON"T LIKE THE SMELL!!

Nose Dive
    Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.