Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: What is your method of lubing for Smokeless PP?

Super Moderator

What is your method of lubing for Smokeless PP?

What I mean is what is your technique? What lube do you use, and how do you apply it? I have read that some guys don't use any lube at all. My method so far is to "crayon" a little bit of White Label BAC onto the the boolit with a stick of lube, and then run run through a push through sizer. I'm just curious if some of you use a lube sizer (I do have one) or other method? Thanks in advance!

Boolit Master

I use two options:

(1) Light Teflon spray PP boolits, then roll them 180°, and spray again.

(2) Lanolin spray (1 part Liquid Lanolin & 4 parts 97% alcohol) onto RCBS Lube pad, after alcohol evaporates place PP boolits on lube pad and roll in same direction patch is applied (in order not to loosen/lift the patch).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I have a RCBS Lube Sizer 2. If?_ I feel its necessary to lube a paper wrap._I actually prefer not to resize or lube my patched boolits as doing seems to harden and loosen the patch wrap. Which may make the patch less likely to engage correctly and/or engrave correctly.

Just my thoughts is all.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the replies. My method seems to work OK, just wondered how others are doing it.

Boolit Master
    When I was patching for .22, I tumbled in moly (NECO-Coat) for about 15 Min.

Boolit Master
    I stroke mine with a little Emert's to ease them through the sizer. Then I tumble-lube with Lee Liquid Alox and a little Meguiar's liquid carnauba wax thrown in to keep the LLA from being so tacky when dry. About 5:1 LLA to Mequiar's has the desired effect.

Got a can of old paste wax for wood finishing, warm till soft, wipe on a bit, size, dry, shoot.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Super Moderator

...............If you decide you have to lubricate the patch, be sure the lube is such that it won't penetrate through the paper ie: turn it translucent.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Have gotten away from lubing PP bullets unless I will shoot them shortly. I find that, over time, the lubed patch sticks to the case neck and severely affects accuracy. Dry patches don't stick and shoot just as well but barrel sure gets hot. When I lubed patched bullets, I got lube on my finger tips and rolled the bullets just before loading.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Roll mine on a rcbs lube pad that's about dry. Don't remember last time it got lubed.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Dry patches don't stick and shoot just as well but barrel sure gets hot.
    Your'e not kidding about this!!! Last time out I shot five shots only and then made the mistake of grabbing the barrel. Wow was it hot!

Dry PP will lap a barrel nicely. Once its shiny I prefer a little waxy lube.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

I use a mix of bees wax and vasoline.

I just rub on a little Johnsons paste wax with my fingers.

Super Moderator

^^^Yup, I just tried this. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet...waiting for our snow to melt.

I was using Beeswax and vaseline, but recently have been using the Johnson's paste wax. I bought a big tub of it for making tumble lube and it seems to be very good for patches. I smear a little on after I take the bullets off the hot plate when the patches are dry and the bullets are still warm.

-Nobade