RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataPBcastcoLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Home made BPCR Lube is seperating

Home made BPCR Lube is seperating

Hi all, my home made BPCR lube is separating as it cools.
    I am using equal parts by weight of Bees wax, Pure Neatsfoot Oil and Neutrogena Facial soap all melted together in a double boiler as described by Paul Matthews
    I am ending up with a hard wax on the surface with a darker softer product underneath
    Any ideas on how i can stop it seperating, Thanks

Ian.

Boolit Master
    I think you have too much oil. In my formulas with Beeswax base, I am using from 10% up to 25% Castor oil. The 25% stuff is pretty soft.

Banned

it's the stearate in the soap.
    heat it up again and let the bubbles do their thing, stir continuously.
    then pour it all out to cool.

Boolit Bub
    I am a great fan of Paul Matthews, but I am inclined to think that his lubricants may in some instances be better suited to colder climates.

I'm using 8 oz of Bees Wax, 6 oz of Neats Foot Oil, 1 bar regular Neutrogena soap. Shave the soap. Using a double boiler melt the wax. Add the soap shavings and stir, stir, stir until dissolved. Do not get it too hot or let it smoke. Turn off the heat. Stir in the oil. Stir, stir, stir. Pour into bricks, molds, or whatever. I haven't gotten any separation.

I'm getting a really nice lube star with it. In the August heat it was a little sticky, not unlike Darr's. Now that's it colder it is tacky but not sticky. I may up the bees wax to stiffen it a bit. Just a dab of lanolin is suggested for softening it.

The problem is the soap. I don't know what it is supposed to do but you don't need it, get rid of it. Add 1 0z lanolin to your mix to make the lube stick to the bullets better and you will be happy. If you are in a hot climate, cut back on the oil by half and then add to your mix until youi are happy.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    I'm using 8 oz of Bees Wax, 6 oz of Neats Foot Oil, 1 bar regular Neutrogena soap. Shave the soap. Using a double boiler melt the wax. Add the soap shavings and stir, stir, stir until dissolved. Do not get it too hot or let it smoke. Turn off the heat. Stir in the oil. Stir, stir, stir. Pour into bricks, molds, or whatever. I haven't gotten any separation.

I'm getting a really nice lube star with it. In the August heat it was a little sticky, not unlike Darr's. Now that's it colder it is tacky but not sticky. I may up the bees wax to stiffen it a bit. Just a dab of lanolin is suggested for softening it.
    I am doing exactly the same as you Toymaker except i am adding the soap to the melted wax/oil mix, maybe i am not stirring enough, think i will remelt my lube and stir it a bit more and see what happens, thanks

Ian.

I make my own lube and so far its been Great....26 years same same.......It works very well with my 500gr for the 34'' shiloh, 300gr .379 in a 32'' 1894.
    and all my other loads.. I use 1 pound of Bees wax .....1 toilet bowl ring......1 small tin of Bag Balm.......I melt this all up and pour into cup cake paper cups........ than as i use it I have a kids cooking pan that I remelt and pour hot into my luber ! No air she fills right up ..let it cool and your ready to go!! the oils I found made it nonstick to my bullets ..........

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Hey Ol deuce, being a Brit i have no idea what bag balm is. and in my book a toilet bowl ring is a ring limescale on the waterline of the toilet bowl, please enlighten me, thanks

Ian

Boolit Grand Master

My mix is Emmerts improved. 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 5% canola or olive oil, and 5% lanolin. I may add a small amount of murphies oil soap to help it blend together. This works real well for me. Its quick and simple to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleneck View Post
    Hey Ol deuce, being a Brit i have no idea what bag balm is. and in my book a toilet bowl ring is a ring limescale on the waterline of the toilet bowl, please enlighten me, thanks

Ian
    Hahaha Lan My Mother is from your area Rest her soul...................The Dairy Farmers use the Bag Balm on the cows utters and a
    Toilet bowl ring is a wax type ring that the toilet is sealed to the floor on the pipe!! ...... The 3 items does work well for my shooting !!

Ol Deuce
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 03-08-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master

Bag Balm is hydrated Lanolin and maybe a tad bit of other ingredients added. The toilet bowl rings are made of of various waxes and petroleum and the recipe does very..They are used to seal the toilet bowel to the drain / sewer pipe.