WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 22rf low wall build

Vendor Sponsor

22rf low wall build

I hope to have this project done for my son by summer!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-13-2016 Low wall and other 017.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	185063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22rf 1885LW stock before 005.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	185064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22rf 1885LW stock before 009.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	185065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22RF1885 low wall stock 2nd set 007.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	185066
    A few items are still being rounded up.
    Missing is a lever, upper tang screw and mainspring.
    Dan Zimmerman has a lever and main spring. He will fit and chamber a Shilen ratchet 22rf barrel - 28 #3-1/2 weight full octagon and install his great 9:00 ejector. Also blue the barrel.
    I am not sure yet who will color case the action and parts.
    My shooting partner Woody, will be fitting the stock for me. I have done 1885's and frankly, I have had trouble making a good job of the butt cone fit and he has done so many now it is just better someone else does it and gets it right. Besides, not being good at it will insure I putz around with it forever and I would like the rifle competing this season - even if the color gets added next winter.

This will be an iron sight rifle but I will still add the scopeblock D&T for a future option.

Just thought I would share...

-Michael Rix
    Chill Wills

That wood is amazing ... it'll be a gorgeous rifle when it's done!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Check and see Signal Mountain gunsmithining in Roundup Mt is still in business. They used to do a fantastic job of color case, and their price and turn around time was great.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Gorgeous lumber you have! Should make a really nice Low Wall!

Vendor Sponsor

Interestingly enough, as it turns out, the photography of the wood looks better in these photos than in person! When you look at this wood in natural light next to other stock wood blanks, it really does not stand out this well. So, that is cool! I really hope the finished stock looks as good as these pictures promise!

As a rule, I like American Black walnut for the most part on these old American rifles and I often try to pick something that might have come out of Remington, Winchester or Ballard if you ordered a rifle with "extra grade" wood.

From what I have seen, it is a rare original rifle that has the outstanding English Marble Cake that is now (often) put on copies of golden age American singleshots. Beautiful rifles for sure! My tastes run closer to American Black.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    While the real fancy curled wood can be pretty, a good ol plain black walnut stock filled and oil finished looks better to me on a rifle.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Wood is always interesting, and exciting to me. It can often change it's look during the fitting and finishing process, and be a little better, or a little less when done. It's always neat to see how it changes, and what the finished wood will look like!
    I've sent wood blanks to Dave Crossno's for years to have it 90% inletted, and it's fun to see how it looks on return. Been lucky so far, and not had any bad spots show up inside the wood!

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Check and see Signal Mountain gunsmithining in Roundup Mt is still in business. They used to do a fantastic job of color case, and their price and turn around time was great.
    They were not to long ago...about 40 miles away .. Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Moderator Emeritus

Wow! Any chance you'd adopt me? I'm pretty well house trained now.

Thanks for a great thrill. Seeing stuff like this come together is always satisfying, even when it's for someone else. I always get a vicarious thrill out of it. Beautiful wood, well finished and gracefully porportioned (and it's hard NOT to have good proportions on that action, IMO), is like looking into a campfire. Just enrapting.

Your son is one VERY lucky guy!

Vendor Sponsor

As of this July, I mostly have the 22 low wall built. I thought I would give an update.
    It still lacks checkering and color case, plus I need to do a little more to get the figure on the butt to stand out. The forearm shows its stuff better. These were two pieces wood from two trees and are taking finish in their own way.
    Now that winter is coming on I will have time to complete it.

I talked to George Dillman when he was at the Raton silhouette nationals about having action colored this winter. I am not sure if I will do the checkering of have it done.

The intent of this rifle is for 22 BPCR silhouette competition and so is setup in that way. (as a silhouette rifle)

The barrel is a Shilen ratchet, the chamber is Win 52, the iron sights are Baldwin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF3679.jpg   DSCF3677.jpg   DSCF3683.jpg  
    Chill Wills

Coming along very nicely! I see what you mean about the forearm wood vs. buttstock. The two blanks looked equal prior to shaping. Strange how wood can change as you go along.

Nice Job!! the barrel is a Monster ! Very Nice Looking Project !!! Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    Nice Job!! the barrel is a Monster ! Very Nice Looking Project !!! Ol Deuce
    Ha! Yes.

A number 3 weight barrel would have been a good choice too but this is a 3-1/2 weight and the whole rifle weighs 10lb-2oz. As a 22BPCR rifle, a 200 meter game for the 22fr round, this might be on the heavy side for some tastes. Others of us like the hold of a heavy rifle. To each there own. My son is stuck with my biases. I like the hold of a muzzle heavy rifle. He might too. He shot master scores at the nationals this year at age 13. We had to find him a larger hat.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Dad!

J/k. Love the project.