RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are your 22lr Price Predictions?

Boolit Master
    Once folks get used to paying 4 times the original price, twice doesn't look so bad. Kinda like gas. Now we're seeing layoffs at the ammo manufacturing plants, so whatever the current price and availability is will be what we're stuck with except for the occasional "sale".

Attachment 193507
    click to enlarge.

Happy days are here again! Purchased just yesterday at the Bi-Mart in Sweet Home, OR. Several other brands also in 50 and 100 size packages.
    I expressed my shock to the young lady behind the counter and asked, "How much can I buy?" She said, "You can buy two of these 100 round packs, or one of these 500 round bricks." She pulled it from the shelf and handed it to me, and I commented that there was another one like it behind it on the shelf. "Yes," she said in a conspiratorial whisper, "And I've got twenty more of them in the back room!" I guess you want to know what the brick cost? I'm embarrassed -- $39.90. But now I can take my granddaughters shooting again!

Boolit Master
    Well I was Bad and got the last, at two different Walmart's of m22 winchester 53. something each. We are done buying unless sale or we shoot some. Well more then some.

Boolit Master
    $.06 a round is about where they will settle in, I'm guessing. I haven't bought any in years. It costs me $.05 a round to reload almost all of my pistol ammo, and my kids and I enjoy reloading and casting, so I doubt I will be buying .22 any time soon.

Banned
    Reviving this old thread to show everyone's predictions. I predicted under 4 cents per in 18 months. That was 21 months ago. I just saw some thunderbolts for under 3 cents per at Walmart.

Boolit Master

It sure took long enough, but it finally happened. I figured for sure we'd see 4 cents bulk ammo when the shelves were stocked to overflowing, and am glad to see I was wrong. Recently I've been seeing sales and have bought a fair amount for under 3 cents per. The local Walmart has that same Thunderbolt 500 round boxes for $14.58.

I still have thousands of rounds of Pre Obama 22ammo. I didn't buy and hoarde during the pinch, I
    had just bought up ammo at auctions and kept all the ammo I had in stock when I folded up shop.
    The only 22ammo I have bought in years was CCI Std-Vel for plinking ammo in some Target pistols to avoid using up premium target ammo. I bought it at about .04 per rnd. Before the pinch the bulk
    ammo was dependable stuff. Maybe not as accurate as premium boxed in 50 & 100 pks but it had a
    very low rate of misfires. Bulk ammo from the last several years is some mighty common stuff with
    high rate of misfires and not uniform powder charges. Now that ammo is back down in price is the
    QC of bulk ammo back to normal?

Boolit Master

So far my kids and I have shot a few hundred rounds each of Thunderbolt and Federal "Black Pack", with zero misfires in the Ruger 10/22. There were maybe two or three jams, but I attributed that to the cheap Butler Creek magazines.

Moderator Emeritus

posted: 01-12-2017, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I bought a case right before the election, not bulk packs, I don't do bulk packs (these were CCI Blazer in 50rd segregated boxes).
    I paid about 8˘ each...they will be for family use, so I won't really lose any money?

I expect the price to come down...probably to about half what I paid.
    well, I haven't seen Blazers for 4˘ yet
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Federal bulk packs under $0.03/rnd, after rebate

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought a couple Federal "Black Packs" of 1600 rounds for $39.99 after a $20 mail in rebate....so just under 2.5 cents per round.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Jinx!
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Na..na..Na I predicted 4-5 cents a round for CCI SV. It is there now at 5 cents or 250 per case. With manufacturers offering rebates it means they are setting on inventory and need to move it. Under 3 cents a round means they are desperate.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Federal bulk packs under $0.03/rnd, after rebate
    Just bought two of them myself.

Got a brick of Blazers. 500 for $30. That's at the lgs that I've found to be a little high on ammo

Academy had fed. 22lr black packs (1600 rds.) for 49.99 plus $20 rebate. $3 Kentucky tax on $50 so after rebate, $33 per 1600 rounds. That’s about .02. ea. I bought 3 packs. Both Louisville locations ran out 22 Tuesday. Blazer 9mm bulk came to $65 for 500 after $20 rebate. Good times again.

My speculation is the manufactures got used to the artificial demand and may need to tone down production or deal with excess inventory. I also believe it’s only a matter of time before 380 gets as cheap as 9mm with so many states now having CC laws. 380 uses less brass, lead, powder and copper plus it is lighter to ship, its only a matter of time.

Boolit Master

Does anyone have knowledge of a scalper who got stuck with expensive .22's?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    PSA has "Swamp People" 300 pack 36 gr MiniMags on close out for $13.99, free shipping for 5 or more.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    PSA has "Swamp People" 300 pack 36 gr MiniMags on close out for $13.99, free shipping for 5 or more.
    It's the shipping that will get you. I'm OK spending $20 on a brick of .22lr for decent hollow point ammo. But to then charge $19 for shipping?? Nope. I rarely shoot .22 and don't need 5000 rounds in order to save on shipping. I'll pay the extra penny per round and shop locally.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Blazer .22 Long rifle .... $20.00 for 500
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast