Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are your 22lr Price Predictions?

Boolit Buddy

What are your 22lr Price Predictions?

They do seem to be coming back and we weren't hit with a new panic in November/December. So maybe this year we'll see it on the shelves consistently.

The next question is, what do you guys expect the low grade 22 to sell for once there's stock?

I am not that old but I saw 525 rounds for 12 bucks at WalMart. That was only a decade ago we paid 2-3 cents a round. Personally I doubt we'll dip below 5 cents a round again. What say you?

Boolit Master

No forecast on what prices will be, although I doubt we will ever see a 550 pack for $7.50 again at Walmart sitting on pallets. Best I have been doing last few months is $2.99 per 50 rounds at the Kalispell Sportsman Ski Haus. Availability is hit and miss. Most 22LR's are much higher at this and other locations. Pick up two boxes each time I find them there.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a case right before the election, not bulk packs, I don't do bulk packs (these were CCI Blazer in 50rd segregated boxes).
    I paid about 8¢ each...they will be for family use, so I won't really lose any money?

I expect the price to come down...probably to about half what I paid.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I've been buying Federal Champion 525 bulk packs for $22.99 out the door for several months now.

I think 3.99-4.98 for plain Jane .22 per 50. It's allready at most places but, you are paying 4.99-5.99 per 50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Cheap 9mm is about $10-11

.22's should settle into the $2.50-$3 area.

Don Verna

Meijers (wal-mart competitor) has a steady supply of CI at $5.99 for 50 which might be why they still have them.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Demand is up, add in any fear at all and production can not meet demand.

As a result this is the new normal.

"Normal" price is going to be 7 or 8 cents each, 6 cents is going to be the bottom sale price. If there is any hitch, any fear, or more than normal buying going on price will be over 10 cents a round.

I oiled and cleaned my rifle 2 years ago, it is put away. I have centerfire that will do the job better for less. Like 4.6 grains of Red Dot below the Bator boolit in .223 without gas check. 3 cents for primer, 1.5 cents for powder, half a penny for lead. More accurate for longer range with heavier boolit than .22lr, sounds about the same, hits harder for about the same cost. Why shoot .22lr?

.223, .300BO, 7.62x39, .357 mag all single shots, all capable of being loaded for the same or less than a .22lr, all more bang for the buck.

Cheap .22lr is no more, its dead.

18.99/325 shipped for free to me door from cabelas right before Christmas. Bought 4 boxes for my daughter as that's all I could afford at the time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Meijers (wal-mart competitor) has a steady supply of CI at $5.99 for 50 which might be why they still have them.
    You are right on with that, and as we shop at the same store I've noticed as well that they've had the very same boxes for weeks and weeks!

Boolit Grand Master

Availability is still regional. There are still none to be found at Walmart by me. If it's gets back to $20 a brick, 500 not 325, I will be happy.

Banned
    I have seen them for under $.06 per round in the past year. The local Fleet & Farm has 22lr on the shelf now but they are Eley and more expensive and they have the rare 22 shorts in stock also. Personally I think that we will be seeing UNDER $.04 per round. And in stock at any time at the local Wallyworld for under $.05. I predict that these prices will be seen in about 18 months. Put that in your chamber and fire it!

Boolit Master

I still haven't seen .22lr on the shelf at any local WalMarts. Bass Pro still has it fly off the shelves pretty quickly. The local gun shop's prices are steep, so it sits on his shelves a good while longer.

The market still has a long way to go towards recovering from what I can see.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

22 LR should settle in around 4-5 cents a piece.
    A promo 9MM sells for 26 cents a round. A 22 LR has 1/3 the lead, about 1/10 the brass and about 1/5 the powder. The 9MM has a primer cup and the 22 LR has just primer compound. The 9MM has a jacketed bullet and the 22 has a swagged lead bullet. Based on raw materials 4-5 cents would be about right.
    i done some research from 1995 to present. Some ammo was about the same , rifle was as much as 100% up but 22LR was 350% up.

Boolit Master

I think you will see 22lr ammo up about 15-20% from the old prices as costs of materials have gone up so manufacturers are going to pass that onto the buyer. They are not going to make a product for less than cost, they would be out of business in short order if that happens.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    The Fleet Farm by me has not had any 22 LR in a long time. They did have one pallet right around deer season, but the limit was two boxes of Remington 500 packs. Now, there are none to be found.

I also just bought some from Cabelas for under .07 shipped to my door. Not too bad, with the limited supply we have in northern Wisconsin.

Boolit Master

I have to agree with those that said somewhere in the ballpark of $20/500 or less for the cheapest bulk pack. I was just at a gun show this morning and one vendor had a pallet of Federal Automatch 325 packs for $18 each. Barring unusual political circumstances and assuming that production and demand eventually balance out to where you can find the shelves stocked any day of the week, I think you can make a pretty valid prediction based on historic (pre-scare) retail prices coupled with increased cost of production and inflation. Shdwlkr's 15 to 20% sounds likely and reasonable enough to me.

I've heard people talk over the years about how the rising price of metals means that ammo will be so dramatically more expensive than it ever was. Some simple math shows that this doesn't add up. It's pretty easy to calculate exactly how much brass and lead are in a brick of .22 LR ammo: about 12 ounces of brass and under 3 pounds of lead. Let's say that the market cost for brass and lead has doubled. That would only account for maybe $3 per brick increase in cost of production.

Boolit Buddy
    My prediction:
    There are more shooters now than there were prior to Obama. So the demand will continue to be there but prices will follow the law of supply and demand. Some of the shooters that got several k rounds will not be immediately urged to buy more, unless the price comes down near the pre-obama prices.
    Ultimately, the price will level to $20/brick in the lower end bulk and such.
    Just my prediction.
    Camba

Boolit Master

What is this 22lr you are referring too?

Boolit Master
    I've been paying ~$44.00/M for cci, for the past year or so and all things considered I don't even hesitate at that price. I expect that the average is not going to fluctuate much from that. Not that I like it but I still buy gas when it's $4+. I now refer to $7.50/M as the good-ol-days.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast