Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Added a single six to the collection.

Boolit Master

Added a single six to the collection.

Picked up some powder while i was there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210209_144120.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	277265
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I love the idea and design of single action handguns. I just can't shoot them worth bean.
    With Ruger single actions in centerfire, I have issue with recoil beating up my hands. I have owned a couple of single sixes but the accuracy was less than optimal. I assume it was due to being a"switch cylinder" type revolver and the barrel being speced for the 22 magnum.

Boolit Buddy
    I have always wanted one. I think I might settle for a wrangler though. Very jealous of your powder find.

Banned

Where did you get it Al.......Geisers?

My first quality handgun was a Ruger Single-6. Compared to my buddies H&Rs, IJs and cheap imports it was a target gun. I still have it. I got a k22 and hardly ever carried the S-6 again. It does take a learning curve when not use to the long hammer travel. If you have leaned on a single action you can handle anything. With exception of Flintlocks.

Boolit Master

I got it at Mount carmel guns and ammo. I usually get my powder and primers at Geisers. The Herco was 2 bucks more than Giesers. But the new shop is 1/2 the distance. I bought quite a bit of powder from the new shop. 2 lbs of Blue dot. A pound of clays. A pound of 2400 and 4 lbs of Bullseye and now the Herco.

Taz on the center fire Rugers. I cant use the stock grips on the either. So i get the big rubber grips. Saves on knuckle banging against the trigger guard. I put them on my Taurus 357 tracker and my SW 25-5 45 Colt.

I did learn on singles. Even my D/A guns i shoot in S/A.

I was looking at Wranglers too. But the gut feeling said hold off. I'll get a deal on a single six. It was 350.00 before taxes and nics. I used to buy a lot from Gators gun wise. But he got greedy with the plandemic. He has a used single six for 550.00 in the carboard box. And he's ammo price gouging. New shop i picked up some 38 super for 23.00 a box.
    Last edited by BigAlofPa.; 02-09-2021 at 09:30 PM.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the small Colts in .22 better than the Single Six, they seem just a skosh smaller, but there is nothing wrong with the Rugers.

My most accurate revolver is a variation of the single six, an SSM in .32 H&R.

The very first powder I ever used for reloading was Herco, brought home in a paper sack.

Robert

Boolit Master

Congratulations.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Awesome. I'm a big single six fan. My moms single six, which is our only one currently, is quite accurate. Been known to hit coke cans at 50 yards offhand.

Boolit Master

Im looking forward to see what ammo mine likes best. My Heritage ones like Winchester copper plated.
    One round at a time.

Love mine, its in .32H&R mag but I have only shot .32sw longs in it thus far. I do have some .32H&R brass now, might be I should cast up some boolits and load a few in the longer brass.

But I've been happy with mine. The only real problem is it likes to be refereed to as "Her Royal Majesty"
    Although i do get away with calling it "Princess" once in a while. Call me crazy but it works.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I have a snubby that shoots sw 32 longs. Just a H@R from the 70's. I like that little gun though. It's in great shape. Fun to shoot and an attention grabber lol.
    One round at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Love mine, its in .32H&R mag but I have only shot .32sw longs in it thus far. I do have some .32H&R brass now, might be I should cast up some boolits and load a few in the longer brass.

But I've been happy with mine. The only real problem is it likes to be refereed to as "Her Royal Majesty"
    Although i do get away with calling it "Princess" once in a while. Call me crazy but it works.
    Hey! If carrying a potato in your pocket makes you a better shot, then carry a potato in your pocket. I see nothing wrong with naming your guns. Davy Crockett named his rifle.

It's a fixed sight convertible? Or is that a cable lock in the bubble wrap? Nevertheless, that was a great deal that you got. I love Single Sixes and I sorely miss the SSM .32s I owned and let slip away- especially the 4-5/8" one- perfect trail companion.
    I passed my 5-1/2" Single Six (.22LR only) to my son recently- and he loves it!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My single six was my first handgun purchase, I paid for it but my Dad had to buy it as I was only 16. The grip frame was not fit properly to the frame. I took the grip frame off and filed the places that stuck out and sanded off all the anodize and gave the grip frame and ejector housing a brushed aluminum finish. I think it looks good that way with the two tone finish. It never seemed to be as accurate as it should be, 3 and 4 inch groups at 25 yards. My next handgun purchase was a Ruger MK I target. It shot much more accurately. I don't know why I have kept the single six. I sold the MK I. I bought a High Standard to replace it, sold the High Standard and replaced it with a MK II hunter and now have a second MK II Target.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I need to do some serious accuracy testing with my moms six, I can't remember what it likes. It likes Aguila pretty good, as well as CCI blazers. Mom named her Precilla.

Boolit Master

It's a fixed sight convertible. There is also a small brass lock. With the Ruger logo.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    miss mine still not as accurate as a k22 but it was such a cute little thing.very loud with 22mag .

Moderator Emeritus

Just picked her up and getting supplies together to shoot her. Uberti 32-20 to go with my Marlin 32-20. She sure is perty. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0 (2).jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	277699

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post

I have owned a couple of single sixes but the accuracy was less than optimal.

I assume it was due to being a"switch cylinder" type revolver and the barrel being speced for the 22 magnum.

FWIW, all Ruger Single-Six's have had the same barrel specs for both .22LR & .22WRM cartridges since at least 1973 - much before that they all had LR barrel specs, since when the gun was designed in 1953 , there was no .22 Mag ( the .22WRM wasn't introduced until 1959)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast