RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Reduced loads in Glock 17 9mm. Lighter spring?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Reduced loads in Glock 17 9mm. Lighter spring?

I am the range captain at our local range and have 1911s and a Glock in 9mm (as well as other calibres).

We get people who have never shot a gun before coming up to try shooting and I usually get them to shoot my GSG (German Sport Gun) 22LR 1911 replica, which they really like.

Our cops carry Glocks (in 40S&W) and the newbies are fascinated by the Glock usually, but the factory ammo or IPSC loads are a bit healthy for some of them.

I have lighter springs for my 9mm Colt, but it is the Glock they want to shoot. And I would like to work up some lighter loads.

Are there lighter spring available? I haven't spotted any, maybe I am looking in the wrong place.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Wolff has Glock springs, they make them for everything including obscure guns and they have reduced power all the way down to 10lb. Also check ISMI springs. I use them because I like the flat-wound springs.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Man
    ISMI Springs - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...chrome-silicon
    ISMI Captured Guide Rod - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...31-34-35-steel
    I do competitive shooting with Glocks so I play with different spring weights for different loads and different competitions. The lightest felt recoil setup that I have found is the 11lb spring and 2.8gr Titegroup behind a 147gr projectile. I have some 125 PC cast projectiles that work well with 3gr Titegroup and the 11lb spring.
    Now what spring setup depends on the generation of your Glock. If you have the new Gen4’s, you will need to get a little insert to go into the end of your frame to allow you to use the Gen3 spring system. As of right now, I am not aware of reduced weight dual recoil springs for the Gen 4’s.
    "America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures", use an atlas or ham radio" - Ron Swanson

Yep! You guessed it, mine's a Gen4, haha. Thanks for the info. I'll check out the insert.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

have you tried the stock spring. My new 19 runs pretty good with some pretty light loads. Not as good as the wifes lc9. that thing will eat pop gun loads but ive ran 3.5 grains of aa2 and a 120 in the 19 flawlusly and recoil is very light.

HaHa, sold it, but having seller's remorse, I might buy a Gen3, they are reasonably priced here.

Boolit Buddy

You can also try an old Glock recoil spring. One that has 5000+ rounds on it. They do get weaker with use.
    I have a Glock 22 that I use for GSSF matches and I have to use all stock parts. I shoot some real weak target loads with my old recoil spring.

That's worth thinking about V-S, thanks.

Boolit Mold
    You can also pick up the 17l glocks for cheap right now and they are very soft shooters even with 9mm major level loads. Gen 3 and the longslide cool factor.