Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon 550 Vs 550B

Boolit Master

Dillon 550 Vs 550B

Sure has been asked before, what is the difference between the Dillon 550 and the 550B ??

I'm not an expert, but here is a shot at an answer: 1. mostly cosmetic 2. powder fail safe system 3. primer alarm. I had a 550B and bought a 550 and "upgraded" to a 550B. Not a hard project and anyone with a small amount of mechanical ability can do it. Also, a 550 would work fine itself but I prefer the 550B.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dillons.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	184977Here is what they look like after upgrading the 550. The 550 is the one on the right.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

The pictures should help.
    The 550 does NOT have a primer supply or powder measure. You must hand place a primer on the post to seat a primer for every case. Powder must be measured/weighted off the machine and poured into every case via a funnel.
    The 550B has a ram activated primer arm that supplies a primer to be seated on each stroke of the ram. The 550B also has a case activated powder measure that drops a charge of powder into each case when the ram is lifted.
    I think the 550 is meant for rifle shooters that want to hand seat their primers on a separate device and use exact weighed powder charges. For both machines case trimming must be done off the machine. For any type of pistol or "progressive" machine you want the 550B.

Boolit Grand Master

So the 450 came w/ a manually operated measure and priming arm but the 550 didn't? That seems odd to me. The replaceable tool head would be an upgrade while no measure or primer arm would be a downgrade.

2. powder fail safe system 3. primer alarm.
    That was the difference between the SD and SDB, the 550 is from the same time frame (spawned from the 450). The 550BL is a newer creation that is a stripped down 550 with no priming or powder system at all.

Boolit Master
    When did they introduce zerk fittings to the 550.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    The pictures should help.
    The 550 does NOT have a primer supply or powder measure. You must hand place a primer on the post to seat a primer for every case. Powder must be measured/weighted off the machine and poured into every case via a funnel.
    The 550B has a ram activated primer arm that supplies a primer to be seated on each stroke of the ram. The 550B also has a case activated powder measure that drops a charge of powder into each case when the ram is lifted.
    I think the 550 is meant for rifle shooters that want to hand seat their primers on a separate device and use exact weighed powder charges. For both machines case trimming must be done off the machine. For any type of pistol or "progressive" machine you want the 550B.
    Not quite right...

You started out describing the BL550. The press frame of the BL550 actually has RL550 embossed on it. It is Dillons "basic loader" hence... the BL...

The RL550B added the first generation failsafe powder system and the low primer alarm. Those are the only significant changes from the RL550, which used a case activated, spring closed powder system.

Banned

I just got a BL550 and it is perfect for me.

Boolit Master

For some of the younger members...

The "original" RL550 was released about 1982. Some RL450 presses were also sold in 1982 so the change over apparently had some overlap. The early RL550 presses were, in many ways, very much like they are today. The priming system is virtually identical. The powder systems have evolved from case operated, spring closed, to single failsafe, spring closed, to dual failsafe, open and closed, without springs. The RL550B iteration is described above. Some component materials and coatings have changed, some many times. Grease zerks were added. Sorry I don't remember when... And the press keeps selling.

FYI... The press frames all have RL550 in raised letters. Don't bother looking for the "B".

This pre B linkage in the pliers and the early B linkage on an SD measure.

The current linkage is designed to help prevent short stroke doubles.

One difference between them is about 200$. I actually replaced a RL550B with a BL550. Im very happy with the swap. I use it for rifle only and prime off the press. The BL550 is sort of an upside down turret press rather than a progressive in my mind, where as the RL550B is trying to be a progressive and as such brings with it some of the troubles that progressives have.

Banned

I noticed Dillon jumped the price of the BL550 $20 for 2017.
    I paid $259 4 weeks ago
    Now $279
    Still a great deal.
    I too deprime off the press and prime off the press
    Use Lee Auto Drum
    Very happy
    Dedicated to 9mm

And with the cash saved from the deal you throw in a lee classic cast single OR turret. They make a great pair. Odd that Dillon doesn't have a single stage offering after all these years. I suppose with lee in the game as well as a host of other fine SS's that would be a tough market to be in

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    And with the cash saved from the deal you throw in a lee classic cast single OR turret. They make a great pair. Odd that Dillon doesn't have a single stage offering after all these years. I suppose with lee in the game as well as a host of other fine SS's that would be a tough market to be in
    Dillon doesn't do single stage presses or turrets for that matter. I believe they never will either. I'm not a fan of Lee presses. I have single stage as well as an 8 station and a 12 station turret. I use those presses for case forming and some decapping duties that the Harvey deprimer is too small to do.

A deal is something your happy with. It's a one time purchase unless your me and keep adding stuff. I like my presses and can tell you the weak and strong points of each one compared to the other.

take care

r1kk1

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I noticed Dillon jumped the price of the BL550 $20 for 2017.
    I paid $259 4 weeks ago
    Now $279
    Still a great deal.
    I too deprime off the press and prime off the press
    Use Lee Auto Drum
    Very happy
    Dedicated to 9mm
    Do you have a pic of the autodrum on your 550?

Banned

No, but this really shows it off on a turret press. I use the riser but depending, may not be necessary. It acts as a short power tube drop. I removed the disconnect or as well.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FaPoU1mCRW0
    The Dillon unit is more like a contraption in comparison.

I also use a Lee Auto Drum on my 550B, for certain stick powders, IMO it works better/more smoothly than the Dillon measure, works well with the appropriate Lee rifle adapter for short or long brass.
    I find that the Dillon measures hangs up with H4198 and other long extruded power.

Sent by my new S7-Edge

I can't stand the jerky nature of the Dillon measures. Much prefer the rotary types. Regardless of the end results, I like my reloading tools to operate smoothly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast