RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Single Seven .327 - anyone?

Boolit Buddy

I have two 327 mags, a Blackhawk and a GP-100. Both of these have the long cylinder so you can load many different bullets and I have no plans to sell either one. My concern about the Single 7 has been cylinder length limiting you to lighter bullets than you can load in my two 327s. I don't have a Single 7 on my wish list but I do plan on picking up a Henry rifle in 327 magnum when they come out this year. Great round the 327 and it has multiple applications.

I would love to have one of these, but it's got to be blue, and it's got to be a Bisley...that limits my choices a bit

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger Single Seven .327 - anyone?

I have the complete set. The indexing really annoys me but I've learned to live w/ it. None of mine had loading gate issues. But two of the three have suffered from base pin jump. It's not all the time but they will jump from time to time. If I didn't like the round and the guns themselves I would have sent them packing.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 01-13-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Mine was a single seven so that is what my opinion is based on. A Blackhawk or SP101 might be a different matter. Ruger did however take good care of me.

Boolit Buddy
    Can the timing problem be corrected?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    It's not a timing problem, it is the indexing. They kept the 6 round indexing and put a 7 round cylinder in it. That's all, just an inconvenience, as you must hold the cylinder in exact position when inserting or extracting from each chamber. if they had made it a 6 shot it would have been exactly right.

I have a 5-1/2" Single Seven and I like it a lot. No problems at all with loading or unloading, but I did have base pin jumping issues with heavy loads. I picked up a Belt Mountain replacement and it works perfect without using the lock screw. I've had excellent results with 311316 (gas checked) and Arsenal 98 gr SWC PB Keiths. My notes are in the garage and it's too cold to go look but I remember that the Keith crimps in the groove with no length problems, won't swear to the 311316 but it seems like it was fine. Both worked best for me with hefty loads of 2400. I tried quite a bit to find a mid range load with the Keith and Unique but never found the right spot. I've not found the love with RCBS wadcutters. I'd love to hear what others have been getting with those. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Lee TL314-90 SWC seems to like light loads with Bullseye. I just started messing with that but have been pretty happy so far. Fun gun!

I'll also add that heavy loads don't feel that heavy. The main reason I've searched for lighter loads is a fantasy of being incredibly cheap to shoot. I guess even the heavier loads are cheaper than 357 though....

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Guesser, for the timing explanation.

So y'all, maybe I'll be just as well off getting a regular Single Six in .32 H&R since I'm not really seeing myself wanting to shoot much .327 Fed Mag in it anyway. If I need to get some occasional "magnum jollies", how hot can I load the .32 H&R? The Single Six frame and cylinder should obviously accommodate about the hottest .32 H&R load possible since it's the same frame as the Single Seven. 327, right?

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the first production Single 7's with 7.5in barrel. Zero issues and very accurate. My max OAL is 1.490in. This is not an issue with available jacketed bullets but some of the older cast designs are too long to use the crimp groove. Here's what I do: moderate loads use the Accurate Molds 31-105C, a 105gr. PB bullet that fits the cylinder perfectly using the crimp groove. Loads are 5.5gr. of Longshot for 1250fps or 3.0gr. of WST for 890fps. For full power loads, I use Miha's 115gr. GCHP and crimp at the 1.490in OAL ignoring the crimp groove. Load is 12.5gr. of 296 for 1470fps. All these loads shoot 5-shot groups of 1.0 - 1.25in at 25 yds. Note - since recoil is so light, a heavy crimp is not needed. Bottom line - these Single 7's are great!
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Boolit Master
    Trigger, that's my thought. If you're not going to hot rod it, what's the point.

Boolit Buddy
    OK, so I just found a NIB Stainless Single Six .32 H&R with 5.5" barrel (Davidson's Special) on GunBroker. I hit the "Buy it Now" button and will soon have it on the way.
    And one thing I like from the pictures is that it has a fluted cylinder.
    Total impulse buy that I hope I don't regret.

Boolit Master
    To answer how hot can you go with a 32 H&R Single Six....
    My 5.5 inch SS has pushed the RCBS 98 grain wadcutter to a little over 1400 fps. No problems. Not hard to get there.

I've never heard of anyone regretting a 32 H&R Single Six. Heard several bemoan not getting one.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I've always wanted a single action gun, WITH ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS for crying out loud, and seeing that one in SS just sealed the deal.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggernosis View Post
    OK, so I just found a NIB Stainless Single Six .32 H&R with 5.5" barrel (Davidson's Special) on GunBroker. I hit the "Buy it Now" button and will soon have it on the way.
    And one thing I like from the pictures is that it has a fluted cylinder.
    Total impulse buy that I hope I don't regret.
    Those are nice, going by everyone else's measurements mirroring the ones on mine. Throats at .314, and barrel grooves about .313-.3135. Down side is they are rare, maybe a few hundred made (no real production numbers known at this time. (Chad?) Over on the Rugerforum.com, a S/N thread was started on these for the collectors.) No other stainless, adjustable sighted .32 H & R Mag SingleSixes were ever made beside these. You might want to scrounge up another set of sights, the SingleTen, fiber optic sights are less than praise worthy in my eyes, but an easy fix, two screws and a pin and the sights are changed for about thirty dollars.. My grips didn't fit like a fine custom either,... But enjoy, they are great little pistols, Have been thinking about an alloy grip frame, so the weight is in line with the blued guns, for the light weight the holster...

Boolit Master

I have pushed my .32 mag with a 115 gr gc design from NOE over 10.0 gr of h110. There is load data with this load on the net. It is a nice shooting load that shoots to the same poa as my Rcbs 98 gr/bullseye loads in my ruger .32 mag birds head with a short barrel and fixed sights.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    If you don't like it, get a hold of me.

Boolit Master
    I bought the 4.2" SP101 last November even though I would have preferred a single seven (the standard product was an easy order for my local dealer, I would have had to purchase the "special" single seven and then arrange the transfer). My primary use will be high volume offhand shooting practice with target loads.

Now that I have a 327, I find that I am a little disappointed. I have some decent target loads, but I get bigger velocity swings from powder position than I like. I am working to find a better solution. However, it sure would be easier with a shorter chamber & cylinder. The 32 H&R length chamber allows shooting S&W Longs with a 90 grn bullet that will engage the throat before the bullet leaves the case. This allows loading target loads with a deep seated bullet and much better load density (less free space). Some 327 users are happy with Longs. I just do not like the fact that the distance from the end of the case to the start of the throat is more than the bearing surface of most bullets.

To the OP, I think you will like your 32 H&R. Unless your really need the smack of a 327, the 32 H&R just does all the target & plinking stuff better. A 32 H&R with book loads is plenty for any small game or "more than 22" plinking needs. A 32 H&R with "Ruger / TC" only loads can get pretty close to 327 levels, but I have gotten reluctant to load anything hotter than the book says (I do not like the looseammo in the wrong hands concern).

I just lament that H&R wanted such a low pressure. A 32 H&R case is all the 32 caliber needs, it just needs the 327 pressure to go along with it.
    Last edited by P Flados; 01-15-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    To answer how hot can you go with a 32 H&R Single Six....
    My 5.5 inch SS has pushed the RCBS 98 grain wadcutter to a little over 1400 fps. No problems. Not hard to get there.

I've never heard of anyone regretting a 32 H&R Single Six. Heard several bemoan not getting one.
    I bought my single sevens because I couldn't get a 32 H&R SSM. My Brother has a 6.5 inch Bisley that would look real nice in a holster on my belt....just in case he's reading this and needs any ideas for next Christmas.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

If I end up going out and buying a 32 H&R, my Wife is gonna kill you guys.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast