Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Single Seven .327 - anyone?

Boolit Grand Master
    In that case my name is Barack Obama Nancy Pelosi Soros.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    yes,but cylinder wont turn with loading gate open,anyone know what can be cause?

Boolit Master

I have always had a desire for the 30 Carbine blackhawk but never pulled the trigger.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    If the cylinder center pin is not fully seated that will stall the cylinder, even with the gate open.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, i'll try that

Boolit Grand Master

After being able to shoot a single six 32 H&R, and a single seven, I am underwhelmed by the single seven. The short cylinder is a killer. No bullet mold I have has a nose short enough to fit. Cartridge max OAL can be 1.490", and that's about it. Any longer and you better make dang sure you don't have bullet pull. 1.510" is about flush. Seated that deep, you are giving up so much potential you are just as well off shooting hot 32 H&R. This is well and good for compact power, but this gun isn't compact, it's not light, it's just a waste. The one I held is a pretty good match size wise to my GP100, and weighed one ounce less. If you want a single action 327 federal, buy a used Blackhawk. Hopefully Ruger brings the Blackhawk. All the single seven is doing is keeping manufacturers from loading good ammo, or making good bullets. Bullet casters are not effected, but the outright lack of good bullets for 327 is killing the cartridge.

Boolit Buddy
    Accurate molds makes several molds specifically for the single seven I have one that casts a 107 gr PB and another that casts a 118gr GC. They both work as intended and crimp in the crimp groove.. Velocities far in excess of reasonable 32 H&R loads are possible. I prefer midrange loads myself, 1000 to 1300 fps. Crimping Lymans 31108 and the RCBS 98 swc over the 1st driving band seems to work just as well, in spite of theoretical objections to the practice. The single seven is a fine accurate revolver, however, for most uses the 32 H&R will do whatever a 32 needs to do. That said, I like my single seven and it is not going anywhere.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ruger got it right with the Blackhawk 8-shooter in 327, but they couldn’t take yes for an answer and discontinued it in favor of smaller models to satisfy perceived market demand... but try to buy the Blackhawk now though!

A K-frame S&W also has a sufficiently long cylinder to chamber 327s with good long nosed bullets... but S&W hasn’t seen fit to build one. I had to build my own to prove the concept.

We have to be dedicated and/or crazy to search out a suitable platform for the 327 FM, but keep looking!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I suspect this mold will be just perfect for my Single 7:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lnir-Group-Buy

Mine is now on the way.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Boolit Master

I've been waiting for that mold too. I've had my Single Seven for several months. When I checked the throats they came in at .315. I ordered a mold from Accurate and got it in short order but life interfered and I haven't done anything other than shoot one box of factory ammo. That was somewhat satisfying but not like shooting cast.

My better half had some health problems and then the holidays put a stop to any projects. So, I've got a mold, waiting on another and have some of Smoke's powder and a NOE expander that I hope will allow me to load to the .315 throats. I do know that if nothing works, that the gun will go to a custom smith and get that cylinder replaced and maybe the barrel Taylor throated. Other than that I'm thru with Ruger after they, essentially, told me to pound sand, that the gun was within their manufacturing tolerances. I suspect they would have told me that even if there had been no throats. There are too many other gun manufacturers to go with one that does not pay attention to what they manufacture.

I've got 9 Ruger single actions including the Single Seven and three that have been converted. The Single Seven is the only one bought in the last 18 years. The ones bought back then had no issues with tolerances although I don't remember about the ones that had the cylinder rebored or replaced.

If I go the custom route, I'll see if the new cylinder can be longer, just in case. I appreciate the comments made here about the limitations of the stock Single Seven.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've been waiting for that mold too. I've had my Single Seven for several months. When I checked the throats they came in at .315. I ordered a mold from Accurate and got it in short order but life interfered and I haven't done anything other than shoot one box of factory ammo. That was somewhat satisfying but not like shooting cast.

My better half had some health problems and then the holidays put a stop to any projects. So, I've got a mold, waiting on another and have some of Smoke's powder and a NOE expander that I hope will allow me to load to the .315 throats. I do know that if nothing works, that the gun will go to a custom smith and get that cylinder replaced and maybe the barrel Taylor throated. Other than that I'm thru with Ruger after they, essentially, told me to pound sand, that the gun was within their manufacturing tolerances. I suspect they would have told me that even if there had been no throats. There are too many other gun manufacturers to go with one that does not pay attention to what they manufacture.

I've got 9 Ruger single actions including the Single Seven and three that have been converted. The Single Seven is the only one bought in the last 18 years. The ones bought back then had no issues with tolerances although I don't remember about the ones that had the cylinder rebored or replaced.

If I go the custom route, I'll see if the new cylinder can be longer, just in case. I appreciate the comments made here about the limitations of the stock Single Seven.
    Why would you be so upset at .315" throats? All 4 of my 327 federal Rugers are .314" throats, and I shoot .314" bullets, which I consider ideal. .315" should be no big deal. I don't see how you can fault Ruger here. If .001" over is unreasonable, I wouldn't be buying $600 revolvers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Why would you be so upset at .315" throats? All 4 of my 327 federal Rugers are .314" throats, and I shoot .314" bullets, which I consider ideal. .315" should be no big deal. I don't see how you can fault Ruger here. If .001" over is unreasonable, I wouldn't be buying $600 revolvers.
    I guess I got spoiled in the past with Ruger revolvers. I just remembered that 2 of those Bisley's had undersized throats and I sent them to a member here who used to ream throats. He discontinued that service several years ago and DougGuy picked up the slack. It sounds as if .314 is the normal rather than .312-.313 that were being quoted when the Single Seven first came out.

We will see what the Accurate mold will do when powder coated or the Mjolnir mold when it arrives. To be honest I don't really want to spend a lot of extra money on this revolver. To many other things have dibs on my money.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Wow, just wow!

I have 3 single sevens in 327 that all shot like a laser with the Mo bullet Co..314 cowboy bullet riding all the H110 that will fit under them. The Bisley is the cream of the crop as far as fit, finish, and function, one has a little tighter loading gate cut so you have to stop at just the rite place for loading and ejection, but they all shoot great. Out of the 2 SP101,2 GP100, 3 single sevens, and the big black hawk, they all shoot fantastic with no mods. My only 327 that needed the throats opened was the S&W 632, and I did it myself.

Boolit Master

I size all my .32 bullets at .314 for all the wheelguns.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    My 7.5in Single 7 is the most accurate Ruger handgun I own (I have about 10, all single actions). Lots of 25yd groups in the 1.25in range. I size to 0.313 and the throats are 0.314. Of the revolvers I have, only my S&W K22 and 629DX will out shoot my Single 7.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I size all my .32 bullets at .314 for all the wheelguns.
    My custom K-32 is tight chambered with .313" throats, so now I'm sizing all of my bullets accordingly. I may be losing a little bit with my other guns, but at least it's consistent. I still have a .314" die if I change my mind.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    I have been following this thread because of my interest in a single seven. Not trying to steal the post, but what seems to be the preference 5.5 or 7.5 inch barrel? Most of my single actions are 5.5 or 6, but I am thinking about a 7.5.
    Christian, Father, Husband

Boolit Master
    5.5 or 7.5...that was my question also.... While I was trying to decide a Freedom Arms 97 came up for sale at an excellent price and it had a special order 6.5" barrel which is what I really wanted but Ruger didn't make.

A few months later a LNIB 7.5" S-7 came up for sale for $399.95 at a local shop. I almost bought it but passed as I already had the FA. My friend, who is big into .32s, bought it a few days later and it is a great shooter.

This is the Accurate 31-120S that runs 1400 fps from the 6.5" FA...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150921_124538_zpsxjd13x0s.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	237120

Name:	20150921_124546_zpsbtd2hyca.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	237122

Name:	20150921_124552_zpsy2dlq6uh.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	237123

FA 97 with a Ruger OM .30 Carbine...

Name:	20150421_172107_zpsteqaoddw.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	274.1 KB 
ID:	237124

Bob

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post

i agree ruger can be difficult to work with and their new stuff is garage.i looked at the single seven and was unimpressed so i bought a early model 32 HR mag and said forget it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast