WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Single Seven .327 - anyone?

Boolit Buddy

Ruger Single Seven .327 - anyone?

Does anyone here have a Single Seven?

Boolit Master

yes, and there are quite a few here with the single seven I believe. What do you want to know about them? Brad

Boolit Buddy
    I used to have a 7.5 inch single seven and a gp100 in 327 fed. but I sold the gp100 and traded the single seven straight up for a bisley Blackhawk 45 colt when I was trying to cut down on calibers . the single seven is a great gun I just owned too many calibers and wanted to cut down .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    yes, and there are quite a few here with the single seven I believe. What do you want to know about them? Brad
    I want to know the good, the bad, and need some convincing that I really need one.

Boolit Master

I own one of each model. Trust me, run away! You want nothing to do with the darn things as they seem to multiply...

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	184997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	184998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	185001
    I have two. A 5.5 inch and a 7.5 Inch gun. The long barreled gun is a favorite of mine, although it did not start out that way. The early production guns were wretched. Nearly all of them had the loading gates cut too shallow to allow 327 cartridges to be feed. I sent the 7.5 inch gun back to Ruger and fixed the 5 1/2 myself. The 7.5 inch gun is very accurate. I have managed two honest 1 inch groups with it, and with my vision these days that says a lot for the gun.

They are great with cast boolits.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-13-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I suffered the loading gate problem but that is not my most dissatisfying point with mine. The cylinder is shorter than any other 327 marketed. Reason: the Single Six frame opening limits the length of the cylinder. I load the longer heavier bullets in 327; because of the short cylinder I must seat the bullets deeper in the case. The loads I had for my Taurus 327B2; the Charter Arms Target Patriot and the Ruger SP-101 can't be used in the Single 7. That means I have to maintain a separate ammo supply for the Single 7; I don't like that. I take the Single 7 to gun shows looking for something to trade it toward, it is going away, just a matter of time. Probably be replaced with a Henry in 327.

Boolit Master
    I bought one. Had to send it back to Ruger because it shot to far to one side. Believed they bent the barrel and fixed it. It shoots really good but I have no idea what it will be used for.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, guys - please keep the discussions coming.

I most likely will have to purchase one sight-unseen via the internet and have it shipped to my local FFL. Is there a way to tell, in advance, whether it's a later model that may be more refined or an earlier model that may have some issues?

Triggernosis,
    I have an early one (7 1/2") and haven't noticed any issues during the 100rds I ran through it, but agree that concerns have been voiced by some. I wouldn't lose sleep over it and go ahead and get one. I sold my OM .30 Carbine since they filled the same desire and I love .32's. It's a screamer in .327 and you have all of the other .32 rounds you can fire out of it when you want to tone it down. I definitely have not shot this as extensively as many others, but haven't found any reason to part with it. My love of the .327 was enough to make me build a .327 out of a S&W Model 64-7 so I could have a fixed sight medium frame. I also have the GP-100 and a Dan Wesson I converted. JMHO

Mark

Boolit Master

I also have an early 5 1/2 and 4 5/8, haven't had any problems with either. I have shot very little .327 ammo out of either, mainly stick with .32 Mag with a 325 Saeco over 4 grains of Herco or 3 Grains of WST. Mild and accurate.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I've both the 5 1/2 and 7 1/2. Zero problems with either.

Boolit Buddy
    My 5 1/2 in single seven is one of my favorite revolvers. No problems, except, its a little finnicy on loading/unloading, in that you can't over rotate it at all, if you do you have to go all the way round, again. It's a great little gun, shoots what ever I feed it real good. I have no regrets on buying it.

Rebel Dave

Boolit Buddy
    So many people talk about the .327 being a "screamer". That's not what I want, I have a .357 Magnum for that. I'm more interested in medium to soft loads to enjoy pleasurable plinking with.

Triggernosis,
    I just want you to know, I didn't make that reference to pigeonhole the cartridge and apologize for any confusion. It's like owning a quality vehicle that also has a powerful engine, the daily driving can be very satisfying, but is always nice to have power on tap when needed. I also have .32 H&R Magnums, .32 Longs and .32 ACP's. I just love them all and the .327 is just the latest incarnation. As I type this, I patiently await the release of my Colt Officers Model .32 from CA. gun jail and it's destined for regular use, not some fluffed up safe queen. Until someone offers a quality DA revolver with a barrel longer than 4.2" (GP-100), your best bets are the SA guns out there and the Ruger is an excellent choice in a reasonable size.

Mark

Boolit Buddy
    Understood, Mark - thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would point out that even with a 'screamer" load, the Single 7 is pretty mild to shoot. I do not load the heavier boolits in mine. Most of my shooting is done with the two 100 grain boolits shown in the pic up above, 2nd and 3rd from the left. The MP 314-100 Hp and the NEI 32-100 SWC both shoot very well and I have no problems with leading even with warmish loads. That 32-100 SWC is very accurate over 11.8 grains of H-110, and I mean very.

However, given that you can shoot the everything from the 32 S&W up through the 32 H&R, in addition to the 327 itself,you can certainly find something to entertain yourself with.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Didn't care for the one I had. I'd rather have the 32 H&R. At the same pressure levels there's very little difference between them considering they're the same frame and cylinder. Mine went back to Ruger and didn't return..

Boolit Master

I have never tried to ring out max velocity. In fact, to this point I have only loaded and shot 32 h&r ammo. I have 1k starline 327 fed brass that is still bagged up.

Perma-Banned

I got three I like them the only gripe I have is what was said above about the having to rotate all around if you do not line it up just right. I load mine light. I like the ability to load it hot but have never done it yet. I shoot mainly 32 hr mag in it. It is fun to shoot that way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast