Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: wc860 and the short mags 300wsm/325wsm

wc860 and the short mags 300wsm/325wsm

Is anyone using wc860 in any of the short mags either winchester or remington.
    If so, are you getting a good burn without duplex in and what kind of velocity.

Nobody???

Boolit Grand Master

Never did any of the "short mags" it's always been "long mags" for me so can't help, sorry.
    Charter Member #148

I tried some in a 7WSM a while back. I don't remember the specifics, but I loaded something nearly compressed, used a magnum primer and engraved the jacketed 180gr bullet in the lands and managed to get ±2800 out of a 26" barrel. Seemed to burn well enough. Just start off low and work up until you don't have any more space.

Thank you sir, I have the 325wsm and started out at 56grs I think, which had to much air space and caused some delayed ignition. I'm planning on going higher asap.

Moderator Emeritus

On the 325 WSM you would have to have the powder charge so compressed it would take ridiculous measures to do it to have an over pressure load using wc860. Basically it would take 90gr of WC860 behind a 190gr bullet to reach the allowable pressure max. Considering the fact that 90gr is 129% of the available case capacity, an overcharge isnt something I'd worry about. With Magnum primers, fill the case full, let the bullet mildly compress the charge and expect about 250fps less than you get with more optimal powder choices.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Yeah I know i can't use to much, but wondering if I can get enough pressure for a clean burn in these cases without over spinning the bullet. I'll know soon enough about the 325.

Moderator Emeritus

Short answer is no. At full case volumes you are only going to be in the 25k psi range and only burning roughly 65% of the charge in the barrel unless you have a 28 inch or longer barrel (rare on the short mags).
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have any of the "short Magnum' rifle calibers, but have messed about with WC-860 as sole propellant in a couple calibers with success.

1) 6.5 x 55 Swede--a full case (55.0 grains) and Fed 215 primers gave 1896-level velocities to 140 grain jacketed bullets with SUPERB accuracy @ 2450 FPS. Clean, with no powder kernels & carcasses downbore.

2) 30/06--With 200-210 gr cast bullets, a full case (60.0 grains) and Fed 215s gave 2100-2200 FPS, fair to excellent accuracy once I swapped in Carnauba Red lube for the BW/Alox, and only a few kernels in the bore after a string of shots.

Both results were generally acceptable to me. Both also produce a deep, boomy, satisfying report upon firing that adds to the fun greatly. Most of us here enjoy anything that turns money into noise.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Thanks 9.3Al, that's exactly how it's been performing for me.

In my Hakim 8 mauser with the compensator it really booms. I'm sure because it's still exploding, and leaves plenty of unburned powder. Fun as all get out.

In my swedes 6.6x55 it burnt clean but over spun the bullets and I could not keep them on the target.

In my 22-250 1in14 it burns clean and gives 2500+ with a 55 gr bullet with good accuracy.

It looks like to me that the larger overbore cases like these burn it better. So when I came across my 4th savage in magnum I just had to pick it up, for the price he had on it. I'm planning on rebarreling it to a slower twist which will probably be the 30cal but not ruling out the 7mm it should build even more pressure. At least in my thinking.

Boolit Master

Short mags no. but works well in my .257 wby, 7mm rem mag and .338 lapua.

Boolit Grand Master
    1johnlb--

A couple caveats came to mind after reading your response. My 6.5 x 55 is a Ruger 77R, and its twist rate is a little slower than what the milsurps come with--the Ruger is 1-9.75" (4 turns/meter), while the Swedes are usually 1-8" (5 turns/meter).

It hadn't occurred to me to try WC-860 in the 22-250. I have a new barrel on my Rem 788 action with 1-12" twist--this will get a try-out post haste.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.