Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First .375 H&H cast deer

Boolit Grand Master

Man o man. Every time I hear the mention of the 375 H&H, it makes my spine tingle
    like some magic words have been spoken.

Dad had bought a 375 H&H on a Sako V action/rifle. I remember feeling the satisfying thump of shooting that thing at the range as a teenager. He had bought it with the vision of hunting Africa, but that never came to fruition and his health prevented him when he did have the money and time. He had it rebarreled to 257 STW. He was able to use it to smoke a yote and collect a small GA doe.

I really need to put one back in the stable.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    For some strange reason, I've gotten the itch to get a .375 H&H lately, no idea why. I know if I had one, I'd get a mold for the .38-55 and make it into a deer rifle.

Nice job, that 5744 sure is good stuff in a lot of cast applications.
    Yeah, I've been wanting one too, for FFg like I had good sense.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a barrel in the encore. Got molds. I need to get off my fanny and get working on that. I have shot some of the Meister commercial boolits and had less than great results.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Attachment 185285

I picked this one up at a local gun show the first part of December. I had to take a LOT of wood off of it to make it look like a rifle, and checker it. Thanks to some members sending me some bullets to try out, I've been able to do some casual plinking when I've been able to step outside in the frigid weather we've been having. I should have a new NOE mold in the mail the next day or two, plus some warmer weather to really start getting serious about making it shoot.
    Scratched a big itch today....I ended up buying a CZ550 in the Safari Classics 375 h&h this week...it's on it's way home. I have always been a huge 35 fan, but this one has really got me. I plan to shoot cast out of it...Waksupi...mind telling me which mold you got and how it shoots? Been thinking I want to shoot 300 -315's out of this one. They have long throats and a big magazine box. Cant wait to get going on this one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35Whelen View Post
    Scratched a big itch today....I ended up buying a CZ550 in the Safari Classics 375 h&h this week...it's on it's way home. I have always been a huge 35 fan, but this one has really got me. I plan to shoot cast out of it...Waksupi...mind telling me which mold you got and how it shoots? Been thinking I want to shoot 300 -315's out of this one. They have long throats and a big magazine box. Cant wait to get going on this one.
    Accurate molds has a 335gr mold for the 375. I have one, it shoots well in my 26" Encore barrel.

In Remembrance

About 35 +/- years back I saw an estate auction flier that mentioned a .375 H&H in it. I went to the auction and it was for a retired Alaskan road construction worker. His Son said his Dad told him that a large caliber rifle HAD to accompany any crew that worked the bush. The rifle is a 1953 vintage Win. Model 70. It shows having been used, but not abused. A bidding war erupted between 4 of us bidders. I won the war! As I was picking up the rifle at the auction`s end the mans Son came up to me saying the items he had in a box went with the rifle. There were 3 very old boxes of Rem-Umc factory ammo, a Marbles cleaning kit and a fairly new Weaver 3x scope with Leupold top mount and rings. A leather sling and a moose hide gun case topped it all off. I use the #375449 mold for about everything now that I can`t manage `J` loads well. I have a 300 gr. BRP mold from Bruce before he closed his doors I should actually try out. As has been said already here by others, I had an itch and finally scratched it.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Moonie and Hardcast416.....great story Hardcast....

Last year I worked down a lower recoil j-word load for my brothers .375H&H Ruger M77. Now I have a .38-55 and a mould. Winner, winner, backstrap dinner!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    About 45 or 50 years ago,I almost bought a pair of H&H`s.A .300 and a .375.Had the cash in hand.Hesitated just a bit long in the shop.And missed them.Could have gotten the pair for about $475.00 out the door.What an idiot.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

I never shot cast in 375H&H. A few years ago got into 375Win for Ohio deer season. I was short
    on components and rifle was a Marlin lever. My first loads for Marlin was the Ideal #375248 a
    255gr bullet for 38/55. They gave excellent accuracy out of the Marlin. I had a bunch loaded up
    when I traded Marlin off for #3 Ruger/375W. My Bro shot up the cast loads in his Win 70 Super
    grade 375 H&H. He didn't resight for they but he shot some very respectable groups at 100yds
    with 2x7 scope. I got a lot of use out of my 375H&H as deer gun with Speer 235g semi spitzers.
    In fact that's what I'm experimenting with in the 375W, since I can now use pointed bullets.

Boolit Master

I was gifted a 375 H&H made in south Dakota H.S something I forget name of maker have not shot it yet looks like a nice rifle
    One of these days I'll dig it out
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I never shot cast in 375H&H. A few years ago got into 375Win for Ohio deer season. I was short
    on components and rifle was a Marlin lever. My first loads for Marlin was the Ideal #375248 a
    255gr bullet for 38/55. They gave excellent accuracy out of the Marlin. I had a bunch loaded up
    when I traded Marlin off for #3 Ruger/375W. My Bro shot up the cast loads in his Win 70 Super
    grade 375 H&H. He didn't resight for they but he shot some very respectable groups at 100yds
    with 2x7 scope. I got a lot of use out of my 375H&H as deer gun with Speer 235g semi spitzers.
    In fact that's what I'm experimenting with in the 375W, since I can now use pointed bullets.
    My first load in my 375 H&H used the Speer 235gr bullets.

I used 270gr Win Silver tips for bear & moose. I was given a box of Speer 235gr to try and I started using them on deer and even varmits. I sold my 375H&H but still have dies and lots of
    235gr Speers. A life time supply for 375w single shot rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    So.....after reading a load of posts. I decided that I wanted a boolit that had a similar profile to the popular 35 cal Saeco 352. I contacted Tom at Accurate Molds and here is what he came up with. I asked for a meplat of .225 instead of the .180 he had on his 38-315. He emailed me back this morning to say this new mold is now in the catalog....couldn't be happier...there is a GC and PB version....the 38-320J and the JG. I think this will be an outstanding round for the 375 h&h
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...38-320JG-D.png

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38-320JG 1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	226626

Boolit Master

This is the Accurate mold I have for my 375 H&H, meplat of .26:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38-335R.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	226627

Boolit Buddy
    Wow...that looks like the Hammer of Thor. Wasn't sure how the CZ 550 would feed, so thought I had better start with a slightly rounder nose. What kind of load data are you using Moonie....velocity, powder?

Boolit Master

Wow...that looks like the Hammer of Thor. Wasn't sure how the CZ 550 would feed, so thought I had better start with a slightly rounder nose. What kind of load data are you using Moonie....velocity, powder?
    I haven't chronograhed it yet but the load I found shows this:

Alliant RL-7 37.5 1726fps MAX load. I have some other load data for projectiles this size or slightly larger.

My 375 H&H is a single shot so feeding from a magazine is not an issue.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the info...this is a brand new calibre for me so diving deep into the research. I'll bet that has some smack to it...have you harvested any animals with it. I can't imagine them going far with one of those in them

Boolit Master

Thank you for the info...this is a brand new calibre for me so diving deep into the research. I'll bet that has some smack to it...have you harvested any animals with it. I can't imagine them going far with one of those in them
    I have not. I actually removed the scope and mount to use on a new 300 Win Mag barrel I purchased. The Thompson Encore is such an addiction lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12