RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First .375 H&H cast deer

Boolit Master

First .375 H&H cast deer

It's the last few days of the spike/antler less whitetail season. My CZ550 got a little spike buck. Used a 275 grain GC bullet over 5744. Went straight through the heart and lungs. Little fellow went 30 yards and piled up. Sausage and Jerky coming up!

Doc

The CZ is a fine rifle...congrats on your deer.

Boolit Master
    Congrats! I used the RCBS 37 -250- FN and 40 gr. of 4895 to take a small buck about 10 years back; it was very satisfying to bring one down with a cast bullet I'd made.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    Good job, Doc. Fun to hunt with what you've crafted. Enjoy all the delicious meat for a job well done.

Banned

For some strange reason, I've gotten the itch to get a .375 H&H lately, no idea why. I know if I had one, I'd get a mold for the .38-55 and make it into a deer rifle.

Nice job, that 5744 sure is good stuff in a lot of cast applications.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    For some strange reason, I've gotten the itch to get a .375 H&H lately, no idea why. I know if I had one, I'd get a mold for the .38-55 and make it into a deer rifle.

Nice job, that 5744 sure is good stuff in a lot of cast applications.

Odd, I've been getting the same itch. Guess we've been reading the same threads, lol. I've been kicking around the 375 Ruger as well. Like I really need another rifle & cartridge to figure out.
    Good job, OP! Something special about putting fresh meat in the freezer with your own CB.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

One of my most memorable hunts is with my .375 H&H and cast. Snow on the ground made the easiest and shortest tracking job I have ever had. I believe the deer bled out right on the spot. It is an awesome cartridge. I think it is perfectly normal to want a .375. They are after all one of the most versatile cartridges out there. Especially if you handload for it. I really like and prefer the H&H, but the .375 Ruger I shot had just as much sauce or so it seemed to my shoulder.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    I absolutely have no need for a 375 H&H. I always have and still do want one. Maybe someday!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    I've plunked four deer with a 375 H&H so far two doe with a custom stocked Interarms Mark X Whitworth and a pair of eight point bucks with a Ruger #1H . But sorry to say I used the no longer made Nosler 260 grain Ballistic Tip . I still have the Ruger so perhaps some day I'll get the urge to shoot cast in the gun .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

YES, YES
    Win Model 70
    My load is 60 grains of old 4831 and 270 Lyman with gas check (375449) with Javelina lube
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master
    It is important to use enough gun. Deer can kill you if they gore you

Don Verna

Boolit Master

I never knew I needed one until a fellow member had an Encore barrel for sale here in 375 H&H. I really like it, and look forward to hunting with it.

I love my CZ550. Only shot J-words in it so far but I finally got a mold and powder (IMR 4198 to start messin around with.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...6&d=1456713052

Boolit Master
    The CZs are an addiction of mine (started by my lovely wife!). She bought me a 550 in 6.5 Swede and there has been no turning back. Now have a .22, a .222 and a .30-06 from CZ in addition to the .375. Love them. And especially her.

Doc

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0002.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	185285

I picked this one up at a local gun show the first part of December. I had to take a LOT of wood off of it to make it look like a rifle, and checker it. Thanks to some members sending me some bullets to try out, I've been able to do some casual plinking when I've been able to step outside in the frigid weather we've been having. I should have a new NOE mold in the mail the next day or two, plus some warmer weather to really start getting serious about making it shoot.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Very nicely done, Waksupi. Which mould did you decide on?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by txgunnut View Post
    very nicely done, waksupi. Which mould did you decide on?

379-279-fn 379449

The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    379-279-fn 379449
    Good call. Just headed in to load some PB 379279's from a NOE mould for a 38-55. I like Lyman's 375449 in my 375 Winchester and have diddled a bit with their 380681 in the 38-55. Not sure why I didn't order NOE's 379449, may have missed it. Dunno why I ordered the 379279 with GC and PB cavities, maybe so I can feed a 375 H&H or Ruger when I grow up.

Boolit Master
    I shoot NOE's 378-275-FN in my Whitworth.375H&H. Loaded over Varget using mid range 300gr jacketed data I get sub 2" groups with a peep sight at 100yards. I wouldn't hesitate to poke one thru anything in North America.

".375 H&H One cartridge to rule the world!"

congrats! I am planning on getting a cz550FS of my own in 9.3X62 mauser sometime this spring! tthere is something I have always liked about the old mannlicher full stock, it makes them look a little more classy. as far as the 9.3, it is a bigger bore, but not so big as to be slow, not that that's bad, and also my lead will go further than a 375 or the othere one ii was considering, the 416! have a great day, and good luck with your future hunting adventures!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast