RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: berdan primer conversions revisited AGAIN

Boolit Master
    My browser automatically fills in the http:www.

I left out part of the site name. It is 22lrreloader.com

I have the kit for RCBS dies in hand.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Banned
    Here's some c. 2008 info on Berdan primers:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/ber...imensions.html

Powder Valley used to sell them - worth a call.

Cushmans info (2207) says the Euro 7.62x51 Berdan is .217. Once I get some of mine apart I'll see. A std LR .210, so if true, it would be sloppy. If so I'll have to use the Gibson drill and swage method to use the side of the old primer to hold the new.

Old info from here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch.../t-122303.html

Banned
    Or, there are very high temp sealants (2500 F) that might be able to seal a .210 primer in a .217 hole. Guess the cup would expand to seal as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Sorry, I can’t remember where I saw the Berdan primers before. I did a quick search on google and found this. I hope it helps.

https://www.budgetshootersupply.ca/p...ers-100sleeve/

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Sorry, I can’t remember where I saw the Berdan primers before. I did a quick search on google and found this. I hope it helps.

https://www.budgetshootersupply.ca/p...ers-100sleeve/
    I looked at this site and found out they are in Canada. Don’t know about shipping to the US. All these new restrictions really suck.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    My browser automatically fills in the http:www.

I left out part of the site name. It is 22lrreloader.com

I have the kit for RCBS dies in hand.
    That's neat, I'm ordering one NOW!!!

Banned
    Well it's not neat at all. Mine arrived and I tried it out. A "few " shortcomings:
    1. It does not drill the hole in the center of the case. The bushing is too short and the bit to flexible.
    2. The bit collar is too sloppy and slides on the bit no matter how much you crank on the allen screw.
    3. 40 bucks for 2 bits, 1 collar and a die bushing is excessive.

It's going back!

Went back to the "Gibson method" which produces a centered flash hole IF the firing pin hit the center of the primer. If not, center punch it.

One minor change for my 7.62x51s, which have a .217 Berdan primer, is to (after drilling the flash hole) drill out about 7/8th of the back of the primer. Then use a LR pocket swager (like RCBS) to create a new pocket from the old primer. Since my Berdans are mil-spec crimped, the new pocket a'int going anywhere.
    Last edited by 6.5 CM; 12-29-2018 at 09:47 PM.

I think to get Berdan primers in from Canada requires an end user certificate. It gets treated as military supply and you are required to have certification that it won't end up in a prohibited country.

I hate wasting the brass also. I sent some 303 British to a member that was interested in doing the drilling to seat Boxer in Berdan. I was glad to see it used. For me it would have sat there waiting for "someday" to arrive so I would get around to trying to drill it for Boxer.

I have a few Berdan primers on hand intended to load old brass that is period to a 1937 Mauser. I just like the idea of a few clips loaded with 1938 loads for a 1938 rifle. I use the Lyman pry tool that is still sold to pull the old primers and it works pretty well. Better for the addition of a piece of copper pipe to extend the handle for a bit more leverage. Have to use a hand primer as the press mounted one isn't well suited to seating Berdan primers
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I have lots of really good quality 303 berdan cases that I have converted to shotgun primers. For cast boolit loads they work fine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    I have lots of really good quality 303 berdan cases that I have converted to shotgun primers. For cast boolit loads they work fine.
    Could you walk me thru how you do that ? Thanks !

Boolit Master
    if you have brass thats unatanable any place convert to boxer other wise buy boxer brass not worth the trouble
    your time would be better spent doing something else like reloading 22 rimfire

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    if you have brass thats unatanable any place convert to boxer other wise buy boxer brass not worth the trouble
    your time would be better spent doing something else like reloading 22 rimfire
    I resemble that remark.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    Wanna tell me where I can "buy" DWM brass ? "unobtainable" ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CM View Post
    Could you walk me thru how you do that ? Thanks !
    Waiting ---- please !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Do you mean that you have primed Berdan cases...as in live primers? You are converting them to shotgun primers? Why not just sell the primed brass. Boy I wish I has an Enfield number 4.

Banned
    No he said he had CASES. Not primed cases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12