Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 25-20 Ver 25-20

Boolit Master
    Roy,

Ditto to CH4D dies & Jamison/Captec brass.
    Original Rem brass is not as strong.
    I liked and used 10.5 gr/4198/NOE 80grFN.

I just recently sold my Stevens 44.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Thanks for the info Jon. That might be a load combo I will try later on. Right now I'm sighting in with 3.0 Grns of Unique and a 68 grn FN. Lyman. I tried a Lyman 17-A on the front today. Looks like I might have been getting a little drift from the cheap Want -To-Be tang rear or the barrel was warming up or something.

Roy
    Hooker53

OK guys, as I said, would show you this rifle and the first target and first load I would try in it. I think I have my work cut out for me but was surprised I even got on paper with the first 10/15 rounds. It took 1 shot to get on paper and 4 more to get it to what you see on this target. This is the 68 Grn Lyman 257420 with 3 Grns of Unique at about 50 yards. Sorry for the sideways photo of the target. Ha. Whats ya thing folks? Not bad for a 113 year old barrel. Im in hopes of getting the grouping a little better. To me, It looks like my cheap tang site was moving on me. Guess that is the diff between a $75.00 site and a $300/$500 site. Ha.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sav 25-20.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	188436 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sav 25-20-1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	188437 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sav 25-20 Target.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	188439

Boolit Master
    You are definitely getting there. Stevens made rifles to a price point, but they put all their money into their barrels, which held many records. Glad to see you got it shooting! Stevens 44s may have their weak points, but for looks, they are the quintessential Victorian rifle.

I would use that group as an excuse to buy 100 Captec/Jamison brass cases.

Hello Bent. You were reading my mind on that one. Think I will put an order in for 100. Lol. Before I do that, let's put out a call and see if any of folks on here has some brass they want to move!!! I think it would also be a good time to find. Deal in a 441/2 in SS. Ha. I was very surprised in how well the old barrel took in the bluing. Really didnt spend s lot of time on it. I filed the round area down past some of the pits and draw filed the flats the same. Flooded some Bluing on it about three times and it came out right well. Thanks for posting.

Roy
    Hooker53
    Last edited by Hooker53; 02-20-2017 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Words

Boolit Buddy
    Great work in bringing a very nice ole girl back to her purpose. You may want to consider Rocky Mountain Cartridge for cases. Looks like good stuff and no worries on quality.
    Bob,

Bob, thanks for that tip on the cases. I will check them out. I was hoping a few folks would stop in with a few here and a couple there but don't think there are many out there to be had. This old gal is kinda in a world all to herself. Lol. It's something about bring one like this back to life.. Much more of a thrill then opening up a new box. Kinda!!!! Lol. Thanks for posting. Keep shooting folks.

Roy
    Hooker53

Hello Folks. Just thought I would give you an update. As you can see from the target, (A 5 shot group) I'm getting closer. This may be as good as it gets with this old barrel. This is the same 88 Grn Boolit Sized to 258 with 2.9 Grns of Unique and a CCI Small Pistol Primer.

I have some 3.1 loaded to try. I shot five with 3.0 and was not as good. I also think/wonder if my grouping would improve if I sized to 259. (considering the age of this old barrel)? The problem is, don't think they made them. Ha. I will keep loading test rounds and keep trying to improve the grouping. Whatz ya think? Keep Shooting Folks.

Roy
    Hooker53Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New 25-20 Target.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	192866
    Last edited by Hooker53; 04-09-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: words

Boolit Man
    Did you purchase some ammo from an individual? I see this is handloaded,, I was wondering if there was any testing done with factory ammo? This last group is looking a lot better. I am curious if Bullseye or TrailBoss might give better results?

Hello CT. I did get some ammo from a GB dealer but it was bad. So I pulled the Boolits and deprimed. These cases That I shot that target with were some stragglers I bought from here and there. After I work up to near the max on this Unique I was thinking of trying some different powders. IV also thought about going a bit further and grouping my Boolits to the very same Grn and then maybe looking at enlarging the flash hole a smite. I don't know if trying SRP would be any good but I'm not beyond that. Thanks for your post.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Grand Master
    Put five groups like that on the same piece of paper and you would definitely be getting there.

Sooooo 35, that's the way you do it?? Ha. That does give me something to shoot for. Lol. I don't think this is gonna be a HV load/rifle and be accurite too. I would love for some of the old hands at loading and competing with this similar setup to post in. Thanks for posting. Keep shooting folks.

Roy
    Hooker53

Found some good load info in one of Ackleys book. Seems he loved 2400 for this 25-20 SS. Anyone here tried 2400 loads? Think I will load some up this week and give it a go.

Roy
    Hooker53

Hello 25-20 SS shooters. I'm on a hunt. I lost the box and addy of a man out West from me that was nice enough to send me several diff 25-20 SS Boolits back in late Winter. I would like to touch base with him and thank him properly. PM me and identify yourself please. Thanks.

Roy
    Hooker53

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Isn't there also a 25/25? I think I have one in my collection. There very long
    and thin like a pencil.
    Denny
    Yes, I have a Remington Hepburn #3 in 25-25 Stevens. Also have brass and reloading tool for it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...altongtool.jpg
    Last edited by mazo kid; 07-03-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Mazo, that's one long , thin Cart. What the type load for this one??

Roy
    Hooker53

In Remembrance
    It's been a while since I have loaded any, but just off the top,of my head....7-8 grains unique. Haven't tried any black powder yet.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123