RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: SS Pin Separation

SS Pin Separation

Probably been asked before but I can't find it if it has. When it comes time to separate the pins from the brass. After all (well most) of the water has been poured off, would it be possible to pour SS pins and brass in a vibratory cleaner with the auto separate feature. Then to pull the plug and let the vibratory cleaner finish the process? Just a thought. Has anyone ever tried this. Would appreciate all input. Not looking for an easier way just want to know if this works.

*****Thanks for all the input. I agree it is not difficult or time consuming and have used most of the procedure you have suggested. Now please don't take this wrong but here is the original question

"After all (well most) of the water has been poured off, would it be possible to pour SS pins and brass in a vibratory cleaner with the auto separate feature. Then to pull the plug and let the vibratory cleaner finish the process? Just a thought. Has anyone ever tried this. Would appreciate all input. Not looking for an easier way just want to know if this works."****

****This is still what I would like to know. Again not trying to be mean just curious****

Thanks in advance
    Doug
    Last edited by tred1956; 01-08-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

Interesting. Possibly a good way to complete the separation process and dry them. I put the grate on one end of my tumbling barrel and shake. Most of the pins fall out in a pan but due to the moisture, pins still stick to brass. Combining the brass and media in a vibratory tumbler might be solution to my problem. This might be the answer I need too.

I realize this might not be the input you are looking for but I would like to thank you for posting.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

You are quiet welcome my Friend. Have it posted on several forums. Don't have one with auto-flo or I would give it a try. Surely someone has done this before and will chime in.

Safe shooting
    Doug

Boolit Master

To me the easiest way to separate the pins from the brass is to use a magnet with a cut off bar load it up and release the pins back in tumbler.It seems to me that you will always have a few that want to stick to the magnet and have to be removed by hand.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Frankford arsenal Magnet. less than $15

In Remembrance

Forget the magnet. Technically, the magnet MIGHT magnetize the SS pins, making them stick (to each other) all the more.

Here's what I do:

Step 1) I use my Dillon media separator and tumble the brass with the SS pins with the Dillon tub full of water. That rinses most of the soap out of the brass, and assists the SS pins with flushing free from the brass.

Step 2) I use a Harbor Freight food dehydrator to QUICKLY (like in an hour) completely dry the brass and pins that might be hanging on. Set the dehydrator on HIGH heat, and even with the primers still in the primer pockets, it will completely dry the brass, inside and out. Most of the remaining pins will now easily fall out.

Step 3) SS pin cleaned brass has no oxidation protection. So, I run the SS pin cleaned brass through my walnut media, with the NuFinish and paint thinner additives (as usual) to give the brass a good coating which keeps them bright and shiny for months! Separate brass from the media using the media separator again.

This final step absolutely removes any and all final pins. You'll never worry about pins getting assembled inside any cases, and the above process will give you the best of all worlds, SS pin tumbled brass, with a protectant coating, with no muss or fuss.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Plastic "Gold Mining Pan", place brass inside and pour off water using riffles in pan to keep brass and pins from going down the sink (I use a fine mesh strainer in the sink so the rare pin gets caught in the strainer). Then use a Frankford Arsenal Magnet for picking up pins. In rifle brass I hold two or three cases by the base then sling/lightly bang the water out which causes pins to come out also. For .22LR made into jackets I shake check for pins in the jacket with strong magnet that picks lifts any jackets containing pins, then shake/lightly bang them out in the pan.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars.../dp/B00HTN659G

https://www.amazon.com/SE-Plastic-Bl...old+Mining+pan
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Bub
    I posted this in another thread:

It takes me only a few minutes. I use the Cabela's Rotary Media Separator (it's the same as the Lyman and RCBS). I only use the lid portion, and fill it halfway with water in the tub. I place half of the squirrel cage in the lid with the water. Then I pour the whole tumbler full media, brass, and dirty water into the squirrel cage which is in the lid. I use a Frankford Arsenal tumbler, so the addition of the dirty water fills up the rest of the lid. Then I attach the other half of the squirrel cage and rotate it, in the dirty water, without any cover, for about 20 revolutions. All of the media usually falls to the bottom of the bowl (which is actually the lid). I then lift the squirrel cage out of the dirty water and wash it off under the spigot. Then for kicks, I dump the brass contents of the squirrel cage into a plastic bowl and fill it with water to make sure all the soap suds are off it. I twirl it around, dump the clean water and then dump the brass on a towel to dry.

I use the lid of the rotary separator, because you don't need that much space below the squirrel cage for the media.

The whole process takes less than 4 minutes. I can make a video if you like.

Thanks for all the input. I agree it is not difficult or time consuming and have used most of the procedure you have suggested. Now please don't take this wrong but here is the original question

"After all (well most) of the water has been poured off, would it be possible to pour SS pins and brass in a vibratory cleaner with the auto separate feature. Then to pull the plug and let the vibratory cleaner finish the process? Just a thought. Has anyone ever tried this. Would appreciate all input. Not looking for an easier way just want to know if this works."

This is still what I would like to know. Again not trying to be mean just curious
    Thanks
    Doug

Banned

if I had one I could answer the question.
    but I don't.
    I'm pretty dang close to Duke's process.

I wouldn't go buy one to find out, I'd look for the best option.

Boolit Master
    shoot i load em pins and all.

Boolit Master

I've used the Franklin Arsenal media separator in the top of a bucket of water and I've used a hamster ball in the same bucket of water. Both work ok

Boolit Mold
    I would say the answer to your question would be yes, it will work. However, I would run the brass thru a dryer first, like the Hornady or another type of dehydrator. The pins will fall out of the dried brass and out the hole. If the brass is still wet, it will be a lot tougher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frankford Arsenal media separator and the bucket it comes with. Fill bucket to top with water. Works better than you can imagine. And I clean brass with a cement mixer and 25 lbs of ss pins.

I also use a rotary media separator filled with water. In addition to separating the pins from the brass, an added benefit is that the pins are getting both separated and rinsed in clean water at the same time. Then they go back in the drum for the next tumble.

Sorry, no info on OP's original question, as I don't have a vibratory...
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"