WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for these .54 molds and info on the Sharps Christmas Tree Bullet...

Looking for these .54 molds and info on the Sharps Christmas Tree Bullet...

Hello! I would like to apologize in advance to the mods as I hope this is an ok thread to post. I figure it is best to try here and see if I can find these molds.

These molds seem to be fairly if not really hard to find and I figure its time to try here and see if I have any success in my hunt. Seriously, thank you so very much in advance!

1.) Thompson-Center .54 Maxi-Ball (Curvy Version). I am looking for this version of the Maxi-Ball that has trapezoidal lube grooves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.54 Curvy.png 
Views:	1165 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	184555

2.) Lyman 540619

3.) Lyman 548669

4.) Lyman 557489 or the Sharps "Christmas Tree" bullet. I have read this went with .54cal sharps? Is this a true .54cal bullet for a Sharps ML or is this a .557 dia like the number leads me to believe?

Mickey Mouse School of Combat Graduate

Boolit Master
    certainly not asking much. LOL that top one is indeed rare. And a 54 cal. lyman maxi? I have never seen a lyman maxi.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    certainly not asking much. LOL that top one is indeed rare. And a 54 cal. lyman maxi? I have never seen a lyman maxi.
    I believe Lyman was the main manufacturer of TC molds, The TC molds were all made of aluminum, Lyman brand name molds they used steel. I am almost positive without looking that Lyman stil offers a Maxi ball in .50 Cal, maybe 45 as well? I know they do NOT make one in .54 anymore. I wish my molds were steel, i MUCH prefer a good steel mold over an aluminum mold.

February 7, 2007 below are a list of facts on t/c mould blocks i hope they are found to be useful. 1. T/C DID NOT MAKE A 58 CAL MAXI HUNTER MOULD FOR SALE, BUT THEY DO SELL THE CAST BULLETS. 2. T/C MOULDS WERE MADE FOR A SHORT TIME THROUGH BY SHILOH, UNTIL BUSINESS PROBLEMS BETWEEN T/C AND SHILOH ERUPTED. 3. T/C ALSO HAD FOR A EXTREMELY SHORT PERIOD OHAUS PRODUCE MOULDS FOR THEM. 3. T/C WOULD PUT NEW LABELS OVER OLD ONES ON THE MOULD BOXES WHEN THEY NEEDED TO. SO SOME OF THE BOXES HAVE A LABEL UNDER, CAREFULLY REMOVING THE TOP LABEL SOMETIMES REVEALS RARE EARLY BOXES OR MISPRINTS. 4. T/C MOULD HANDLES ORIGINALLY HAD BRASS FINISHES, WHICH USUALLY WORE AWAY EASILY. NEW HANDLES WITH BRASS ARE RARE. 5. OLD SHILOH MOULDS AND HANDLES WILL INTERCHANGE WITH T/C MOULDS AND HANDLES.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman doesn't make the 54 anymore, I had to keep looking on Evil-Bay to find mine. They do come up time to time. Do a search on Evil-bay for Lyman 54 Maxi, then click on follow search. You will get an email when one come's up for sale. The mold shoots great out of my 54 Renegade.
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

I can verify 3 and 4 on the list of facts. I bought some T/C molds while at Friendship, all of the boxes were damaged from being open or wet. Double labels were pealing and among the molds were a few brass color handles. I set Indian style and dug through the box cherry picking the molds that had no rust or missing screws. Unfortunately I did not buy any doubles...looking back I should have made an offer on the whole box.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Mold
    The Lyman 557489 or the Sharps "Christmas Tree" bullet is for making paper cartridges for the .54 Sharps breechloading "Paper Cutter." That mould is long discontinued. I always get outbid when one pops up on eBay.

(Picture is a bullet/cartridge made from Pedersoli's Sharps mould).

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	184577

[QUOTE=Cag40Navy;3901772]
    if you are looking for a christmas tree stile you have a few places /choices.
    try charlie Hahn (not sure if he makes them or has them made), moose molds and brooks.
    I have one that brooks made for me and one that moose made. both perform very well in my 63 Shiloh.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

I aim to please haha. Its going to be a lot harder than I thought but I am determined to find these molds.

Lyman doesn't make the 54 anymore, I had to keep looking on Evil-Bay to find mine. They do come up time to time. Do a search on Evil-bay for Lyman 54 Maxi, then click on follow search. You will get an email when one come's up for sale. The mold shoots great out of my 54 Renegade.
    I wish they still did like they do the .50's and .45's. Ill keep that in mind and keep a sharp eye out on Fleabay.

I can verify 3 and 4 on the list of facts. I bought some T/C molds while at Friendship, all of the boxes were damaged from being open or wet. Double labels were pealing and among the molds were a few brass color handles. I set Indian style and dug through the box cherry picking the molds that had no rust or missing screws. Unfortunately I did not buy any doubles...looking back I should have made an offer on the whole box.
    Dang. That sucks. Sounds like it was treasure trove!

The Lyman 557489 or the Sharps "Christmas Tree" bullet is for making paper cartridges for the .54 Sharps breechloading "Paper Cutter." That mould is long discontinued. I always get outbid when one pops up on eBay.
    That's good to know! You know the nominal diameter the bullets were sized to?

[QUOTE=59sharps;3902402]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    if you are looking for a christmas tree stile you have a few places /choices.
    try charlie Hahn (not sure if he makes them or has them made), moose molds and brooks.
    I have one that brooks made for me and one that moose made. both perform very well in my 63 Shiloh.
    Nice! Ill go check them out!

Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    There were 3-different Maxi (single core) weight molds offered by T/C. (365 430 530) I have the two(2) heaviest of those 54s offered..
    365gr T/C I believe the OP has pictured.
    I also have a Lyman/ Ideal Maxi. Don't recall its weight?
    Been a long time since a 54 Maxi was poured here. I think the last time my Maxi's seen lead was about the time EBay ban the auctions of bullets & brass.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Thanks! I will go check them out! I am thinking about getting these molds and still hunting for the Lyman design as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    There were 3-different Maxi (single core) weight molds offered by T/C. (365 430 530) I have the two(2) heaviest of those 54s offered..
    365gr T/C I believe the OP has pictured.
    I also have a Lyman/ Ideal Maxi. Don't recall its weight?
    Been a long time since a 54 Maxi was poured here. I think the last time my Maxi's seen lead was about the time EBay ban the auctions of bullets & brass.
    Dang. That must of been a while ago but I don't remember when Fleabay decided on a ban against that. Must have been a while ago....

Perma-Banned

Perma-Banned
    Attachment 184602

Here is my 36 Cal TC Mold, They did the same design with the .36 Cal as the odd shaped 54 you are looking for. The top mold in my previous post is my TC .54 which is EXACTLY the mold you are looking for, i have both. And the bottom pic i have no idea about? Other than the bullet design is the same, no idea who made that one? I wouldn't think that hinged design would be worth a hoot? I found that picture through a google search. Maybe someone on here will know something about it?
    Last edited by 54bore; 01-07-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Sam, I couldn't figure out how to post a pic to a PM. So I'll post it here..

Name:	IMG_1096.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	184608
    Robert Abbott

Boolit Master
    rda72927, is that an aluminum mold 54 cal.?

I know I am not him but that is Lyman 540619.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    I know I am not him but that is Lyman 540619.
    Correct, Lyman 540619. Got it on Evil Bay a year ago.
    Robert Abbott

Perma-Banned
    Lyman Maxi = Steel Mold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast