WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mitchell's Mauser

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Yea I got in on the M48 train when it first came to the station. Nice tight one for $100.
    My bore is mint, mirror like. Shoot great with cast. I'm pleased.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    The "SHOE POLISH BLUEING" on mine is starting to have problems. Daubed on over some rough finish also. Live and learn, althoughI have it. They also missed a place on the stock while cleaning.

I think the advertising that whirls around the Mitchell Mausers might be a bit deceptive..As I understand it they are "restored" parts rifles that are frowned on by collectors..might be great shooters and nice lookers but nothing special at a very high price with a really "iffy" story.

Boolit Grand Master

Are they even advertising anymore? There ads used to be everywhere but I don't remember the last time I saw one.

Boolit Buddy

I looked at one at a "Dunhams" sporting goods store last week. It was originally priced at $500+/- a couple years ago. It was on sale for about $330 now. Not the first one to take a look at it either, the numbers match and the bolt is butter smooth; that's the good. The stock look like it belong to a M1 carbine, didn't fit at all and the serial number was stamped in it. Bottom metal and the rear receiver tang had tons of metal sticking out. If that wasn't bad enough, the crown looked like an egg. The rifling look strong and what I could tell the chamber looked ok.

I guess for the right price, you could re-crown and look for a better fitting piece of wood as long as the chamber and rifling are true, otherwise that is still pricey for a parts gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Master
    I've got a Mitchells Mauser M-48 I purchased in 1998. It was covered in cosmoline. I cleaned it up, but never fired it. The rifle is new, never issued. The stock is rough to the touch. It came out of Lew Hortons. I'm thinking about shooting it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I've got a Mitchells Mauser M-48 I purchased in 1998. It was covered in cosmoline. I cleaned it up, but never fired it. The rifle is new, never issued. The stock is rough to the touch. It came out of Lew Hortons. I'm thinking about shooting it.
    Fire it up!!
    Mine sat for about 7 years. Last Sept, I finally got it running with cast. And it shoots great!! We had several weeks of brutal weather up here and couldn't shoot. That being said, my first package of gas checks is a few dozen from being gone.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, when the Yugo M48s first hit the market Scharfschuetze and I picked up a couple shooter M48s with excellent bores for $105 apiece at the Puyallup Gunshow in Washington with some Turk ammo thrown in. We got a bunch more Turk ammo along with a bunch of Columbian 8x57. I calculated that I could shoot up all the ammo I had and throw the rifle away and it would have cost me 6 - 7 cents per shot.......

But that was 23+ years ago.......still got a case+ of the Turk and most of the Columbian ammo........I see it goes for a lot more now.......

I gave the "shooter" M48 to a grandson. Still have a M24/47 Yugo along with a KAR 98 take off barrel in excellent condition and another M48 in New condition with all the accouterments. Still thinking about shooting all that milsurp 8x57 up........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Super Moderator

...............I got one at a Big 5 sporting goods store on clearance in the early 2000's for $159.

I think the stock may be Elm, but I've been wrong before .....just ask my wife

The bore is at least VG++ condition and slugs .314" x .325" with a .327" throat. Best part is the crown is near perfect, which can be unusual in some due to energetic use of the steel cleaning rod, cleaning from the muzzle.

On the other hand we have this one, also from a Big5, but in Arizona this time. My next younger brother bought it at some point before I owned the other one. He gave it to me after I told him the bore in it was absolute toast. It's matching but the crest has been buffed. Sound, but somewhat dinged stock. It now sports a M98 replacement contoured bbl chambered in .308 from Brownells, and is a fine shooting rifle.

When they were cheap these things were an absolute gas to fool with.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    My first milsurp was a Model 24/47 from Impact Guns in Salt Lake for around $260 in 2011. Bore looked horrible in the shop, I was expecting to rebarrel, restock and drill and tap for a scope. Got it home and ran a patch with Ed's Red that came out brown with cosmoline, a check of the bore afterwards looked pristine. Left it unmodified after that. Took a few days to get the cosmoline out of the rest of the gun, and it still weeps from the stock when it gets hot.

Haven't shot any cast out of it, still have about 500x 1990s PPU heavy ball milsurp and a 580 rd case of Romanian light ball sitting in my stash. I did pick up some PPU brass from Powder Valley this year, may order a mold from NOE to reload it, right now it's loaded with Nosler 200 gr CC and 47 gr of Varget to try in vintage military matches.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by goryshaw View Post
    My first milsurp was a Model 24/47 from Impact Guns in Salt Lake for around $260 in 2011. Bore looked horrible in the shop, I was expecting to rebarrel, restock and drill and tap for a scope. Left it unmodified after that. Took a few days to get the cosmoline out of the rest of the gun, and it still weeps from the stock when it gets hot.
    ................This is the perfect time of the year to help that! Stuff some paper towels into the action cutout. Roll some up fairly tight for the bbl channel, then wrap the entire stock in paper towels. Secure with making tape. Then stuff it into a (preferably) black plastic trash bag and lay it outdoors someplace where it will get plenty of sunshine.

That evening take it out while still hot/warn (be prepared with more paper towels) pull off the oil soaked towels and wipe it down with the clean ones. You might have to do it a couple times. I had a Turk Mauser and might honestly have gotten a freaking pint of oil out of it

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased a like new M48 from a older gentleman who had to get rid of his firearms because his son was coming home from prison and he could not keep any firearms in the house. The M48 was rebuilt at some point and had a new barrel installed. I found the front sight blade was adjusted way off which made the rifle shoot 3 feet to the right at 100 yards. The refurnishing job was done when Yugoslavia was united. The M48 appears to have been shipped for storage in that part of Yugoslavia that became the Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia. Tito had supplied cache of firearms all around Yugoslavia in event of war breaking out. I am beginning to think when the rifle was refurnished the front blade was deliberately moved to make the rifle shoot way off. I fixed the front sight blade and it was dead on now. In the process I also picked up two brand new M48 8mm barrels for future use for $45.00 each. I cast NOE 325-216SP with GC and load with 14.0 grains of Long Shot with the rear set at 700 meters the bullets are dead on at 100 yards. I can shot 50 rounds of this load without feeling like I went several rounds with Mohammand Ali. It's a ***** getting old. LOL!! But I love to shoot old centerfire rifles.

--fjruple

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yeah, when the Yugo M48s first hit the market Scharfschuetze and I picked up a couple shooter M48s with excellent bores for $105 apiece at the Puyallup Gunshow in Washington with some Turk ammo thrown in. We got a bunch more Turk ammo along with a bunch of Columbian 8x57. I calculated that I could shoot up all the ammo I had and throw the rifle away and it would have cost me 6 - 7 cents per shot.......

But that was 23+ years ago.......still got a case+ of the Turk and most of the Columbian ammo........I see it goes for a lot more now.......

I gave the "shooter" M48 to a grandson. Still have a M24/47 Yugo along with a KAR 98 take off barrel in excellent condition and another M48 in New condition with all the accouterments. Still thinking about shooting all that milsurp 8x57 up........
    Still have several hundred rounds of vintage Turk ammo. Shoots about 7" high at 100 yes. At the 500 meter setting, cast bolts drop into lslightly left center of a 13" 200 yard gong. LEE 175 gr. sized at .325.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Buddy
    A couple of years ago, one of my shooting buddies at range wanted to participate in our monthly surplus military rifle competition. I wrote the rules for this event as to what condition/type of surplus rifle could be used. I'd had a C&R license and owned my share of surplus military rifles. So, we attended one of the larger gun shows in our area looking for a rifle and would find a dealer with at least 4 boxed Mitchell's mausers. I wasn't too happy with them being Mitchells, but thought the Prices were reasonable and dealer had one that met my approval. It was an early WWII manufacture and in pretty nice condition. I thought it was an Oberndorf made K98. We haggle price with dealer and when he reduced price and then threw in four boxes of new manufacture 8x57 ammo to make the sell, my buddy bought the rifle. Think he paid a little under $400 for it. Later that night, curious, I'll check its manufacture code. Egads, it was one of the rarer German manufacturers, JP Sauer and Son. While I didn't need another Mauser, I'd have bought the darn thing, just to have a Sauer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12