Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitchell's Mauser

Boolit Man

Mitchell's Mauser

Can anyone give me an idea of the quality and worth. This rifle is a kit, bayonet, oiler, ammo pouch, sling. The rifle is new still packed with cosmoline.

My father-in-law has one, and it looks like brand new. Though I had heard that they had taken some and gone through top to bottom and refinished them. He didn't seem to care. It is a beautiful rifle, and shoots great!

Boolit Grand Master

Not a collector if that is what you are looking for, but as a practical shooter they are fine.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    wgg,

Occasionally I see a Mitchell's Mauser at the local gun club. It seems they sell different grades; the better ones costing more. I have seen good to very good 98ks and a mint 98k.

Adam

Boolit Master

None of 'Mitchell Mausers' are 'new'. All have been refurbished and refinished and most are out-and-out 'parts guns' assembled from whatever bits and pieces were available at the time. So far as value, as shooters they're not worth any more than any decent M98 milsurp...but good '98s are getting more and more difficult to find.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    My Yugo 48 looks mint and shoots great (once I get used to the sights).

I got the Lee mold this past summer and started casting for it.

It seems to like my cast and powder coated boolits over some Trail Boss.

To bad winter is here with a vengeance!

Boolit Master

No collector value, but as a shooter, you are getting clean parts and usually like new bores.

Boolit Grand Master
    And for not much more money you can buy a new commercial bolt action in your caliber of choice, ready for scope mounting, and with a warranty.

Don Verna

True, but sometimes there is just nothing like shooting a warhorse, even if it has been refinished. I love my modern bolt actions, but every so often I pick up an old WW2 bolt gun, and let myself feel history.

OP, if you want a beefy bolt gun of steel and wood that reminds you of past wars with no thought to collectors value, get a Mitchells Mauser. You certainly won't regret it

Boolit Man
    I went back this morning and it was sold.

There will always be another one

I see M-48's and M-24/47's really often. Picked one out for my brother, clean, very good bore and stock, all matching numbers, $280. I think you just need to keep looking. Love Mine! hc18flyer

My nephew has one and it's the most accurate military 8mm I have fired. Even with the Barleycorn sights. A "genuine" Mauser in the same price range will most likely have a cobby bore. Get one while the getting is good IMO.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    And for not much more money you can buy a new commercial bolt action in your caliber of choice, ready for scope mounting, and with a warranty.

Don Verna
    True, true - but beside the point.

The days when a milsurp bolt gun served as a low-cost substitute for a sporting rifle are long gone, if ever they really existed.
    I have lots of commercial bolt-action rifles, but I wish I'd grabbed some 03A3s, 98 Mausers and 1917 Enfields back when I was a young man. Those that survived the "sporterization" craze and remain in original condition are becoming rare, and have a "cool factor" that's just off the scale. Not serious hunting or match rifles, they still serve as fun afternoon-at-the-range rifles, and are dripping with history as well.

The risk of getting a basement-assembled parts gun when you purchase any historical rifle goes ever higher, and the majority of gun show finds are probably in that category today. Mitchell's Mausers may not be considered collectible now, but I'd call them a "shootable representative specimen" in today's market. They may look better and better to future collectors as completely original rifles grow ever more rare.

My .02 for consideration.
    Uncle R.

Boolit Master
    I too would rather have a Shoot able Representation of a rifle from days gone by , rather than some wall hanger original.
    There are good condition Originals out there , but they are not easy to come by or easy on the wallet.
    But why do I need an original perfect specimens.
    I was not there, nor was it carried by anyone that I know or was related to.
    It is not my history.
    But I do like keeping the past alive , and shoot the stepping stones of what we have evolved into now.
    The Mitchell Mausers allow us to do that at surprisingly a lower cost than building one from parts ourselves to the same condition.
    Unless you are a Gunsmith like myself and the labor doesn't factor into it.
    Last edited by LAGS; 01-07-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Boolit Master

Now what I would like to see is mitchels spitshine some Turk mausers.

A "like new" Turk would be very nice. Even renumbered, polished and reblued with a solo stock and good hardware.

Boolit Grand Master
    On the MSRP end of the price scale. Expensive but nice. They have a mixed reputation. It has been said that the matching serial numbers are created my Mitchell. Google Mitchell Mausers to see reviews. Commercially refinished rifles.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Would depend on the mitchells mauser. Early ones I saw were all German production rifles. My brother in law bought one, and it was just an over priced Yugo M48. He paid something like $400, comes with the extras. I paid $100 for mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Would depend on the mitchells mauser. Early ones I saw were all German production rifles. My brother in law bought one, and it was just an over priced Yugo M48. He paid something like $400, comes with the extras. I paid $100 for mine.
    $120 shipped years ago when the Yugo's first arrived.
    I have only seen a few Mitchell Mausers. All 98 K's. Very nice to be sure, but expensive.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Yea I got in on the M48 train when it first came to the station. Nice tight one for $100.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast