Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WalMart

Boolit Buddy

WalMart

Stopped at WalMart tonight looking for a Henry Yellow Boy .38/.357. Of all things they had one behind the counter. I asked to see it and the clerk said he needed my drivers license before I handled it. I asked why and he said incase I run out the store with it. I was not satisfied with that reply so asked to speak to a manager. An assistant manager was called on their phone. The assistant said it wasn't because I would run out the store with it but because its a federal law. I asked him to show me and he told me to look it up. So, does anyone know if this is true? And if so. where can I read it myself? Thanks for the help.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

No there is no such law. But why get your panties in a knot over letting him hold your license while you looked over the rifle. Common procedure when test driving a car in any city of any size, unless of course they already know you. Store is only protecting it's self.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I've long ago relinquished my FFL, but I think they were both F.O.S.

That said; their store,their rules. A little 20:20 vision here but it would have been fun to ask them for THEIR blood sample to see (hold) your license.

Tagged to see others' responses
    Bob

Boolit Master
    I worked at a gunshot in Massachusetts, before I escaped to Arizona in 2000. It was always standard for us to ask for FID cards or pistol permits before showing weapons. Just deal with it.

Boolit Master

I have never been asked for an ID before handling a firearm in a store and I have bought guns in 5 states. These were all pretty gun friendly states I will admit.

I usually don't have much patience for "store policies", but I don't think I'd get all bent out of shape over that one.

Boolit Master
    Some gun stores in my area require me to produce a concealed carry or pistol purchase permit before I can handle a handgun. Store's rules. If I want it I got to do it. The gomer behind the counter is just doing what they're told. I run into that a bunch with bosses and workers.

I've never heard it as a law in my state, federal or otherwise.

Banned

it's an age thing.

Do what I do, don't shop there. Haven't been in a Walmart for many years. Can't stand the store, the company. There are more than enough other businesses to buy what I want. More than likely they are knowledgeable in what they are selling you. Years ago when I was in a Walmart the sporting goods clerk couldn't tell you one end of a gun from another. They will never see any of my money.

Boolit Master

Never been asked for an ID to inspect a gun north of the 'Cheddar Curtain' but, here on the south side, IL state law requires that ANY seller MUST inspect a prospective buyer's FOID (Illinois Firearms Owner's Identification) or, if the buyer is from out of state, his/her driver's license - to confirm that the buyer is a legal resident of a contiguous state and thus eligible to purchase a firearm in Illinois - before allowing him/her to actually handle the gun.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

While I'm not a huge fan of Walmart, I am a HUGE fan of saving my money, and WalMart does that in more ways than 1. with said I have never needed to show or surrender my drivers license for looking at a firearm while in WalMart, or for any other reason. Lets not turn this thread into a HATE WalMart thread!

Boolit Grand Master

Can't say I've ever been asked for ID before looking and handling a firearm even in the several WalMarts I've done it in. They do have good prices on their guns but the people that work there generally don't know squat about either the law or firearms. I wouldn't have much of a problem handing over the ID if the firearm was a good price as long as they didn't make a copy of it. You have no idea how much stuff is stolen out of WalMarts over my way.

Sounds like store rules much like the people at the front that want to see your receipt before you leave. Some WalMarts have them and some don't. Depends on the area your in. If you really don't care for that policy just go down the road to another WalMart, there's one every 20miles it seems. I've thought several times of getting a job in a Walmart just to work the gun section so someone is there that knows a little about guns as I've heard some hair curling "advice" passed out by workers there.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy

For a handgun, MAYBE. Can't imagine that for a rifle. I've been to a gun shop with the used ones in a rack in the corner. You could fondle them all day without a salesperson even saying "Hi" to you.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Moderator Emeritus

In Idaho it is against the law to ask to see someones DL unless you are a LEO or was in 87.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I remember a news article about Man running out of a Wal-Mart store with a shotgun or rifle he asked to look at. Not sure if it was in Neb or Iowa or elsewhere. The air-rifles are now behind locked glass and were not in June 2015 when I bought my Dad an air-rifle for Father's Day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    In Idaho it is against the law to ask to see someones DL unless you are a LEO or was in 87.
    How do they check to see if you are legal drinking age or old enough to buy cigarettes?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

There is no federal law. Apparently it's store policy and they don't want to tell you so. They'd rather lie to you then tell you the truth. Or they are just that ignorant.

The Walmarts by me don't even ask for ID when buying ammo. And it comes up automatically on the register and the question has to be answered.

Banned
    I can't say if I remember ever being asked to hold my drivers license to look at a gun. Not that I haven't been, just wouldn't remember something so insignificant. I would have just gave them the license and looked at the gun. No need to make it dramatic. It is no big deal.

Banned

The reason the Auto dealer asks for your DL is 2fold. One is for the insurance if you get in a wreck and the other is so they can run a credit check on you while you are gone. They want to know what and who they are dealing with by the time you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    The reason the Auto dealer asks for your DL is 2fold. One is for the insurance if you get in a wreck and the other is so they can run a credit check on you while you are gone. They want to know what and who they are dealing with by the time you get back.
    Lot of good a credit check did the last number of cars I've purchased including the new ones, I pay cash, not a check, cash, 100 dollar bills. LOL

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I buy alot of cheap plastic junk from walmart but I buy my guns from the gun shops. Two reasons I guess one I think some of walmarts guns are built cheaper so walmart can sell them cheaper noticed that on the shot guns and rifles both made by remington. Other is if the gun shop is not selling they go under then where would I get the stuff walmart dont carry. Besides they just carry the meat and taters around here and I have those now.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast