RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: .300 Blackout Standard vs Magnum Primer?

Boolit Buddy

.300 Blackout Standard vs Magnum Primer?

I currently have small standard rifle primers on hand so I'm hoping to use them.

Picking up a Ruger American Ranch in .300 BO for my girls to punch paper and maybe do a little hunting.The internet always has conflicting information so I thought I'd ask the community for opinions on primer selection.

For the most part I'll be using cast bullets with Trail Boss, Unique and H110, because that's what I have.
    Last edited by Cargo; 10-23-2020 at 01:38 PM.
    Cargo

Boolit Master

I only use standard primers in mine, I shoot it out of a ARs 16" and 10.5" barrel, as well as a Rem 700.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I only use standard primers in mine, I shoot it out of a ARs 16" and 10.5" barrel, as well as a Rem 700.
    Any issues with lighter bullets and higher velocities?
    Cargo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Any issues with lighter bullets and higher velocities?
    None really, but I don't max my loads either. I have settled on the Barnes 110 gr at about 19 gr of H110/W296 running about 2300 fps as my go to hunting bullet, but that was because I happened on a great lot of pulled bullets that had to have the tips reset. But my Speer 125gr Pro-Hunters loads did pretty well too, ended up with 18.2 grains of H110/W296 averaging about 2200 fps with those. Send me your email via PM, I put together a pdf with a bunch of load data for the 300Blk back before it was not widely available, it has Speer, Barnes, Nosler, Sierra etc load data as well as some experimenta loads that I collected on my internet searches.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned
    Standard vs Magnum Primer?

I've seen several threads where they recommended using 5-10% less powder if you substitute magnum primers for standard primers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Standard vs Magnum Primer?

I've seen several threads where they recommended using 5-10% less powder if you substitute magnum primers for standard primers
    My apologies, I only have standard small rifle primers on hand so I'm hoping to utilize them. I don't remember the last time I saw small magnum primers for sale.
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master
    To me, the only reason to use a hard or magnum primer in the .300 Blackout would be if it were fired from an AR. With your bolt action, you don't have to worry about slamfires and needing a hard primer.

Also the .300 Blackout is a very small cartridge, I would think a standard primer would have more than enough brisance to light just about any sensible powder charge. If you have a very hard to ignite powder and have problems with the standard small rifle primer, then try the magnum.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    If you were shooting max loads in an AR, you should probably use mag primers,, if not you should be good to go.
    In other words,, SR for .223 Rem at 52-55k psi vs SRM for 5.56 nato at 60-62k psi.
    Regular SR primers are thinner material and will show pressure signs earlier then the SRM or any LR primer will.

Banned
    I only used standard SRP for 300 BO

side note,

*** some powders call for the use of magnum primers over standard primers for better ignition ****

Boolit Buddy
    Very informative link on primers..
    http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

I use standard small pistol, magnum pistol, and small rifle, depending on the level of pressure that I expect from the load. Small pistol with Red Dot light loads, and small rifle with full power loads.

Boolit Master
    CCI recommends a Mag Primer in 223

I have used a Standard Primer in 223 and the 300 for light loads

Use Mag for med and hotter loads

I had 1 instance with a standard Primer and compressed load that I did not like
    I was 3 full grains below a max charge

Not sure what / why or how but, I marked it in my reloading data as do not use.
    other primers and Powders to use for the 300

I have never used a magnum small rifle primer and I've been reloading since 1972. The .300 BO and .223 are the only cartridges that use SR primers that I currently load for. I only load 110 to 150 gr jacketed in the .300 at supersonic velocities. No problems that I've noticed.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Standard vs magnum primers has nothing to do with the cartridge and all to do with the powder. Ball powders are harder to ignite than flake of stick so they get magnum primers whether shot in a 7 mm Mag or a 243.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Gents, I appreciate the info and your personal experience with this.
    Cargo