Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small 9mm - Glock 43 best?

Small 9mm - Glock 43 best?

Tried a Ruger LC9 and did not care mechanics of gun. Very long trigger pull, safety with tiny release button, etc. Now thinking Glock 43. Handled one at LGS and seems like a nice small 9. Decent trigger, no safety buttons, a bit larger than I'd hoped for and a bit pricy @$485, but am inclined to proceed. Opinions from owners appreciated.

I first bought a S&W Shield when Glock came out with their .380, and I like it. But I bought a 43 this summer and absolutely love it. I can easily carry if in a pocket holster in my jeans, and I can barely tell I'm carrying when its in my Stealthgear IWB holster. Nothing against the Shield, but the Glock just feels better in my hand.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Boolit Master
    The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield is worth having a look at too. Admittedly I am a S&W fan but that said the G43 is a pretty good gun too. Both have their respective pros and cons. The Shield is only very slightly bigger but can be configured for +2 rounds more than than the Glock, stainless steel, traditional grip angle and less expensive. They are mixed on how good the stock trigger is, some are pretty rough, some good but with the Apex trigger, it makes it an outstanding gun and better trigger than a Glock could ever hope. My Shield trigger was rough & gritty but mild contouring and polishing the striker plunger and trigger bar tab that depresses it cured it and its not bad at all for a stock trigger. The G43 has the same Glock simplicity that they are known for and its a great gun too. Little smaller & lighter than the Shield. Has the love or hate Glock grip angle. The trigger can be made decent but due to the way it works, it will never be as good as the others can. The US made Glocks however and in particular the 43 seems to be having more issues with finish durability/rust and some other quality things slipping through. Nobody is perfect. Both sre great pistols and loved by many. Both have been proven reliable, both have great aftermarket support. I'd go rent each at your local range and put some ammo through them!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried the Glock 43, but did get a pair of his and her Ruger LC9s pros. The s pro seems to fix the issues of the safety and trigger of the earlier models as well as getting rid of the stupid requirement of a mag being in the gun to fire. They are pretty reasonably priced as they can be found for $300, but it only comes with one magazine vs. two with the Glock.

Boolit Buddy
    LC9S is a massive improvement over the original LC9 (I have one of these)

Having said that, I opted for the Glock 43 because I have other Glocks and this one feels and shots like those, trigger even sounds the same

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Glock 22 when I normally carry, but use a Kahr CW9 when something slimmer and lighter is desired.

Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I've both shield and XD-S. Honestly, I much prefer my XD-S in 45 and have contemplated ditching my Shield for the XD-S 9.

Boolit Buddy
    Since you specifically asked about the G43, I'll add that I have 2 and neither of them are for sale. Non Glock folks will try to lead you to their preferences. Rent one and you be the judge.

Boolit Master

My 43 became my go to carry gun about one year ago. It goes 99% of the time other gun (predecessor) is a Kahr P9.

We have a Glock 43. Out of all my guns, I don't shoot that one gun very well. It could be me, but I'm not sure. What I would do is find a range that rents guns and try one before buying it.

Banned

I have a 40 shield, a lc9 pro (wifes gun) and a 43. Out of all of them id take the glock hands down and with a simple discounter change to clean up the trigger a bit theres no question which I like the best. I have to say they all run a 100 percent and you wont go wrong with any of the three. My wife and granddaughter love my wifes ruger. Mostly because its trigger is easier for them and its pink muddy girl camo. I know myself if I could only keep one it would be the glock.

Banned

Love the thread title. Best what??? Everyone has an opinion. I prefer the LC9 S Pro. Also like my XDS 9. If you like Glocks you will like the 43

Boolit Master
    Before purchasing a sub compact semi auto, I went to a gun range that rented firearms. Rented a Glock and a S&W MP.....Shield wasn't out yet. Liked each and shot both well. Ended up with neither. Purchased a Beretta Nano. Being LH, I wanted DAO, good trigger and clean slide......no protruding levers that would just be in the way. That left out Ruger LS9 and later, the Shield. The "Baby Glock" was hard to find, in my area and still is.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If the 43 is even half as awesome as my 42 has been then it has my vote!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I tried them all and was surprised by the XDS and that's what I bought in addition to the shield. You wouldn't go wrong with the Glock. Get what you like. Any of them will serve you well.

Boolit Bub
    I have not shot the small Glock, I carry a Taurus pt709. It has never had a failure of any kind, even with cast and handloads. I did have to remake the rear sight out of some 1/4" flat bar, because I was getting poor accuracy from the plastic adjustable jobbie, but with that fixed it is minute of bad guy at every range ive shot it at. I love mine and will not get rid of it for anything. It does have a safety on the frame right up by the slide, but I'm used to it.
    Now offically part of the "Pistolero Corn Cruncher Puncher" League!

Boolit Master

Of the single stack subcompact 9mm guns I have access to, LC9, glock 43 and Sig 938 I prefer the Sig. My preferred carry gun is my XD Subcompact Mod.2 in 40 or with the 9mm barrel installed.

Boolit Master

Shot quite a few of the 42 and 43 and they are great little guns - especially now that Glock listened to demand and switched to a "minus" trigger connector in them as the standard part. This reduced the second stage to where you can more easily stay on target through the overtravel phase of the pull.

They were smart in that they went small, but not so small as to be unshootable, or to reduce their ability to hold up under a lot of rounds. They have a winner in those two.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    The squarish aspect of all Glock slides can be an encumbrance to concealment, including the G-43. Apart from that, Glocks work wonderfully. My small CCW tool is a Glock 29--if I have to put up with blocky slide profile, I'll do it with a 10mm cartridge. Add on a Pearce magazine baseplate with the little fingerhook, and it handles very well indeed. The late Charles Askins was correct when he stated that "recoil is exhilarating". The G-29 isn't bad at all, though--even with Win Silvertips on board.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    We now have some excellent small pistols chambered in 9mm and it's a buyers market in that regard.

The Glock 43 is an outstanding gun and I wish Glock had made that model about 20 years ago. Before Glock finally got around to making a single stack 9mm the other good choice was the Kahr 9mm pistols. The Kahr's are very well made little SD tools.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast