WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The trials and tribulations of being a Mod

Moderator Emeritus

The trials and tribulations of being a Mod

Fellas, I and others have received complaints about the marijuana thread here, and we constantly receive complaints about what we allow on some threads. We seldom explain ourselves here, and I thought that even though I'm the newest Mod on the board, I ought to at least try to explain a little about why we do what we do, why we allow things that please nobody it seems, and the reasons we act or fail to act when someone gets offended. Other mods have been invited to comment here if I get something wrong, or if they differ from what I post. It's a complex issue and each mod has his or her own views. These are mine. I responded to the complaint about letting the mj thread go so long as follows, which is a direct quote of my PM to the complainant:

It's been discussed, and we're all just about fed up with it. There's really no clear violation of the terms of service, but the whole thing is full of "marginal" comments at best. It's one of those situations where people are expressing whatever their current opinions are and doing so with some emotion, and nobody is listening to anyone else, but we try very hard to stick very scrupulously to the TOS, and while nobody is happy with it, they all made it such, and until there's a clear violation of the TOS, we're letting it proceed. Sometimes, when managing things, there comes a time when it can appear best to leave folks to the consequences of their own making.

However, once some have established clear patterns of saying things that appear to be trolling and asking for yet MORE dissension, we can and will do something. And that's been discussed also, and it's being watched closely. So it's probably good advice to just stay out of it, and let the idjits get whatever they earn. Avoid name-calling and just say what you think, and let others show their "true colors," and it'll work itself out eventually.

Sometimes, it's hard to mod a thread where folks just get all their noses bent out of shape, and can't and won't see any other person's side. Being too quick to act, and we're accused of not allowing "free speech." Too slow, and folks want US to save them from the things they have made their own selves. So, we try hard to just let things take their natural course as much as we can, even if it's not fun doing so for ANY of us. It's the closest thing to "wisdom" in these matters we've come up with.

To a point, allowing such threads serves the purpose of folks feeling like they don't have to "walk on eggshells" here, and we find out more about what others REALLY think. There's some good in that. It's basically like life and politics. "That gov't is best that governs the least." The Founders established that, and we've come FAR from that simple precept, and the further we get away from it, the worse things get. Nobody in this life can make people like or be "nice" to each other. Why should we? Disagreements, different views and dissension from them are inevitable, no matter where we go, even in this etherous electronic realm. Our policy as mods is to allow folks to work things out as best they can, IF they'll just try, with the minimum intervention necessary to keep the place clean enough to allow full, complete expression of our various views and opinions.

So yeah, that means there are gonna' be disagreements, including views that differ from any of the mods may have. But I still think that's the best policy, all things considered. Have we become so PC that we can no longer tolerate even the inevitable spectre of a difference of opinion or views? I surely hope not!

So my best comment and advice is to just let it go if it gets you that upset. Yeah, there are idjits around, but they vote too, and it's best that we know HOW they think, and why, so maybe - just MAYBE - we can formulate better words and methods of dealing with it all. It's just how civilizations work things out. Hushing folks up is against the morals and beliefs of most folks, right up until they get butt hurt about others who differ from their own views. It's part of being human in these modern times, it seems. I don't think the Founders would very much approve of that, and it'd probably make them shake their heads in disbelief and dismay. It's not easy any more, mostly because PC has become our "new religion" in this country FAR more than Christianity, and even Christians hold PC thought that they call "Christianity" when it's clearly not, to discuss things openly and honestly and forthrightly. Some folks have always made spectacles of themselves in those situations, and there's nothing any mod can do about it, really, in the long run, without violating our OWN moral and ethical standards. And we try very, very hard NOT to do that! And sometimes, all we really CAN do is sit and just shake our heads, and wonder where it's all going to end. If you have a better approach, that still fits within our moral and ethical standards, let me know. We can't and shouldn't just stop things because we don't like the way they're proceeding. We have to have a reason that's within the TOS. Established patterns of certain posters CAN fit within or be violations of the TOS, but we're very conscious of not acting TOO quickly on such matters.

Constant trouble makers are watched closely, and always engender many reports to the mods. We discuss them, and make a decision. None of us pretends to be omniscient or perfect, but we do a pretty fair job, IMO, and we're awfully tolerant sometimes. We'd rather wait than act too swiftly, and do something we might later find was unwise. Discretion is never easy, but it usually pays off. (shrug) If someone has a better way, let us know.

I hope this gives at least some of you a little insight into why we do what we do or don't do what we don't do. If not ... oh well. We do the best we know how to do, and none of us claims infallibility, and this is the reason we tend to err on the permissive side when we doubt or are uncertain what to do or how to go about it. That's as "fair and balanced" as we can make it, and if someone's offended by this, there's just nothing we can or should do, I think, to prevent that. I just hope that at least more folks understand our efforts, even if we aren't perfect sometimes, and can't always please everyone at once. We DO care about each and every poster here, and want everyone to feel free, and not feel like they have to "walk on egg shells" lest they offend a Mod. EVERYONE here gets offended sometimes by what's posted, even including the Mods. We just figure it's our job to rise above it, as best as we can and know how, and be as fair as we know how to be with everyone, even the more offensive and instigative types. And boys, that ain't easy! Believe me! But we do what we can, and the rest we leave up to all of you to deal with as best as you know how to do that. Simply stated, we trust YOU to govern yourselves, even when it's difficult for you as it also is for us. Pretty simple really.

Just thought it might help things at least a tiny bit if everyone understood more about what we do and why. Hopefully, some will. The rest, we just don't have an answer for, I guess. Like I said, we never claimed to be perfect, or even sometimes smart, but I hope you have the good grace to understand. Thanks to all who do, and I REALLY mean that.

In Remembrance

Good post Blackwater. It has been my experience to just ignore any thread that is ofensive to me and my beliefs so as not to get entangled in too much controversy. I for one support the Mods and think they do a very good job.
    Keep up the good work.
    Albert
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Moderator Emeritus

Well...
    Blackwater, that thar is a mouthfull. Very well put, I surely do agree with you...and only have one thing I'd like to add.

There is a sticky in the Staff section of the forum entitled "Our Mission", which was authored by our current CEO (No_1). I won't copy and paste the whole thing, as it's worded for the Mods. BUT the opening statement and the closing statement, would be good for the general membership to be always thinking about, especially those who frequent the PIT.

opening statement:

Fellow moderators,
    The mission this website serves (Job #1) is to teach others how to cast boolits. We as moderators are only here to focus that attention. We need to keep the mission in focus. We will have to take out the trash on occasion but for the most part we are here to safeguard the environment. We will need to evolve as conditions change and we need to do it as a team.

closing statement:

Let's take a look at the site for a moment. I am sure everyone will agree this place has far exceeded the expectations of Ken or anyone else as far as membership, knowledge and pure friendship of strangers from across the globe. We have brought the dirty task of casting boolits to new heights. We as a group, have 1000's of years casting experience, which is shared freely with anyone who chooses to take the time to learn. Keeping the information flowing is our goal. We as moderators need to ensure those who are not oriented towards our goal do not interfere with those who are. New blood is not only needed but required in order to remain faithful to the mission and further the ideas which have made this a great place, ideas such as forgiveness and charity.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    You guys have for the most part, a largely thankless job to do and often catch hell for it so thank you for doing it! Goes to all you Mod's!

There is always going to be people that bicker with each other, no escaping it. Just as everyone has their own opinions. Some people get too engaged, others too crossed with what someone else is doing and can't mind their own business. That's life. That's always a point of contention when you have large groups of people in one place. Not an easy task to keep everything in a state of tranquility so thanks again.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    I was a moderator on a forum for a number of years and I know what you are talking about in regards to the issues of moderating a controversial thread. We handled it a little different where I was, if a thread just became too volatile we just closed it. The membership needs to realize that this is not a public forum where you can say whatever you wish to whomever you wish. These forums are privately owned and the ownership/administration can do as they please. We always felt that each forum has a certain common tone to the membership. Disagreement among the membership is to be expected, but running directly against the grain of the forum was not tolerated. The forum we were on had a very pro law enforcement, pro military, conservative tone. Because of that we as the admin/moderators would close and/or delete anything we found to be deliberately antagonistic. If you did not like that type of moderation, leave. I am not saying that this is the way to run your forum by any means, but I do find that some of the threads are allowed to run well past their usefulness. I do not comment on things I find offensive on this forum. I move on. This has been the way I was taught to handle people and ideas I disagree with as long as they cause no harm to me or my family. If my religious, political or lifestyle beliefs are different than yours, I see no reason that you have to think as I do and will make no attempt to change your mind. Mainly because you will not be able to change mine. I do not know when this country got to the point to where a difference of opinion or belief or ideology became an opportunity to try to shout the other person down until they agree with you. It is a sad state of affairs.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master

The subjects of pot, abortion and politics. You couldn't pay me enough to moderate those!
    You guys have a tough job to do and no matter what someones ticked off at you.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    Good post Blackwater. It has been my experience to just ignore any thread that is ofensive to me and my beliefs so as not to get entangled in too much controversy. I for one support the Mods and think they do a very good job.
    Keep up the good work.
    Albert
    That pretty sums it up for me too. I haven't even bothered with that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    That pretty sums it up for me too. I haven't even bothered with that thread.
    You aren't missing all that much. It seems to me like a lot of the people in that thread are the ones who post mainly in the pit. I rarely see posts from them in other subforums. I guess to each there own.

Super Moderator

Mods,

I view the problem more as "trolling" as opposed to having a disagreement. There are a few (we all know who they are) who barely fly under the radar here. They lurk like vultures for the most controversial threads on the forum, then come in for the feeding frenzy like a bunch of bloodthirsty sharks. They get their jollies from raising the ire of the fellow forum members in my opinion.

The moderators have my word that I will never call anyone a troll again on this forum. I assume that is what is being referred to as name calling? It's really too bad that they can't be called out for what they are intentionally doing. They can take a perfectly good thread and turn it in to a disaster zone.

In closing, I appreciate what the moderators do here. Thank you for what you do...and I apologize if I have caused you guys any grief.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 01-05-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Electric88;3899808]You aren't missing all that much. It seems to me like a lot of the people in that thread are the ones who post mainly in the pit. I rarely see posts from them in other subforums. I guess to each there own.
    Right on the money.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    There are definitely some trolls hanging out, that need to find a home elsewhere.

When someone would volunteer to be a moderator, they were always looked at as mentally defective, as no sane person would willingly seek the job.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I believe you Mods have a broad support among the members here. Those who wish to tangle will always disagree.

Boolit Grand Master

You guys have a tough job. But I have a hard time having sympathy for people that complain about the subject of a thread. No one is forcing them to open it and read it. So I don't get complaining to the authorities about it. Now reporting violations of the TOS I understand and have done it myself.

If that thread has proven anything it's how set in their ways people are. Very few are willing to have a rational discussion. This is the case w/ pretty much every subject. It's along the lines of "I've never shot a Glock but they're not a 1911 so they must suck." Or "I don't own any Lee tools but since their price is so low they must be junk".

I thank you guys for all you do. Keeping things in line has got to be tough here. I was a moderator on a large forum where the average age was 16-25. I'm positive keeping them in line was easier than keeping people in line that are old enough to know better.

The fundamental issue is there are a lot of users of this forum who lack the social skills to conduct an intelligent and civilised discussion where differences of opinion exist.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    The fundamental issue is there are a lot of users of this forum who lack the social skills to conduct an intelligent and civilised discussion where differences of opinion exist.
    Couple that with some who do not have the intellect to frame a rational defence of their opinion.

Don Verna

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    For what it's worth which ain't much . I moderated and was an admin on several forums . The situations you run into are...challenging . No mod wants to run off a member , they promote harmony and just try to keep the threads running smoothly , as should be . The better the forum runs ...the less problems there are .

But there are the trolls , the nutters , the upset members , the mentally ill , the .... . You should see the point . Mods try to reason , encourage , guide and when all else fails suspend privilege or ban members after repeated offences for the benefit of the membership . Its a forum ...not a free for all knock down throat cutting free for all out 'FREE SPEACH' experiment . Decorum , manners and civility are expected to be able to allow everyone to participate and enjoy their time on that forum .

I could tell stories like the guy that put up a post about how he had sex with his mule one winter because he was snow bound , trolls from eastern Europe trying to sell drugs and ****** in posts , no need to explain farther , too many stories. The mods themselves will discuss members/situations , a round of opinion and recommendation ....action or not will follow . Cussing and profanity is most often cleaned up with a warning or counseling and affirmation of expectations of behavior .
    The mods here do well in my opinion .

The mods work in our interest trying to make everyone happy .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    JeffinNZ pretty much sums it up in my opinion.
    I just ignore all the premandonna's and their sarcastic comments

Well said. Thank you and all the moderators for keeping this site going and the thankless work you do.

Anybody notice the two words in the opening and closing in post number 3. CAST BOOLITS!! When I joined this forum over 10 years ago that was the primary aim of this forum. Sub forums were very closely related to that primary aim. Things were very much more polite back then and you would very rarely see a post which seemed out of place in the world of cast boolits.
    Things are very different today. It seems we are very ready to pamper to the whims of zealots and fruitcakes. Sub forums are created for the discussion of anything except cast boolits. As an example, if I remember rightly the Our Chapel was created to allows us to reflect on the knowledge a member had shared before he'd cast his last boolit, today its almost bordering on radical fundamentalism.
    I have nothing but respect and admiration for the mods who freely give up so much time to keep order. Perhaps they would have more time if this forum hadnt drifted so far away from its primary aim.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

In Remembrance

A P.S. to post #2. I also was a mod on another forum and know and sympathize with what the Mods go thru. I resigned when the stress was too much for me. Am still a member in good standing on that forum.
    To all the Mods: May the God of all creation (or what ever you believe in) give you the Grace and Wisdom to do your job.
    Albert
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast