Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The trials and tribulations of being a Mod

Opinions without thought or foundation in reason are meaningless. Best ignored but while I do see some that are big on... heck I don't know what you call it. A lynch mob mentality? Or maybe more like a bunch of kids picking on anyone on the playground that they see as "different" I also see some that put forward reasons for their opinions, those are worth taking the time to think about, and respond to. If nothing else they force one to clarify ones own opinions and thoughts.

My dad when I asked him why he liked to read said something to me I never forgot. "I read so that I might know the thoughts of others".

I try to split my time between the casting reloading parts and the pit. The pit tends to generate more posts simply because a debate is taking place. What load or bullet do you use for.... really only requires one or two posts as a rule. I do wonder at the tendency of some to resort to accusations of being a "troll" or "liberal" or whatever that will allow one to dismiss an opinion without having to actually refute it. But toughest, meanest, most cut throat member here can't hold a candle to an ex of mine so I'm pretty sure I can take it.

Frankly I think the mods do an excellent job, I have received a lot of help, support, useful and interesting knowledge from members here. Even some that have disagreed with me in very strong terms. I like what the OP said, went well with that quote from our countries founding about not agreeing with your remarks but will defend to the death your right to make them.

Keep on trucking Mods and know we get along like brothers, but brothers who owe us money and returned a borrowed muzzle loader without cleaning
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Being opinionated does not make someone a troll.....unless an overwhelming percentage of that forums members, do not agree with them. I see that happening here...sadly. So, "group think" not only comes into play but is encouraged. I see a number of posts suggesting "outsiders" should leave the forum. I am not sure that living in our own little world makes us think or grow, but so be it.
    This is the current issue. If you don't agree w/ the majority(or maybe just the loudest) you're labeled a troll or liberal and it's suggested you should leave. Living in an echo chamber is no way to learn. All it does is strengthen your confirmation bias. We all have different experiences and live in different areas. Those in really rural areas would find it hard to live in a city and vice versa. Both would want to change things to make it more like where they came from. No matter how much you want things to stay the same it's an impossibility.

Perma-Banned

Lets give our Mods a big thanks for all that they do. Let's even help them by ignoring threads and topics that we do not care for. When replying to a thread, write out your response and go have a cup of coffee before you post it. Come back and re-read it: chances are you will change it or delete it altogether.
    OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Master
    Thanks Mods. You have allot of work in this black white word of internet. So easy to take things the wrong way. There is no color to make a clear picture if you will. People need to learn to calm down, take breath. Easy to see how fast people in the world get in a fight, disagreements and wars. Thanks Again for running the site. Teddy

Moderator Emeritus

It's really great to see the more humorous comments here. Thanks, guys. And I can't recall who said it, but it very well MIGHT be a sign of mental abberation to agree to be a mod. No. 1, at least in my case, is a VERY hard fellow to say no to, and as long as I've been here, I felt I owed it to him and all the members who I've learned so much from, to say yes. Sometimes, I regret that, but .... I'm used to making mistakes, so I think I'll see it through.

And thanks to you who've been so supportive. We try, and I for one always feel rather inadequate to the task. When we err, though, we always try to do it on the side of being more tolerant, rather than less so. We'll never please everyone, and sometimes, it's impossible to even please our own selves. But life never promised to be easy, did it? Only that it'd be worth it if we'll just do our best, and not expect perfection of ourselves, but still try to strive for as close as we can get to it.

Also, I have no problem when members express their opinions about what we do or don't do. It's VERY helpful for us to gauge whether we're somewhere in the vicinity of "wise" or not. Best indication we've yet found is when we get about equal complaints on both sides of whatever issue is involved. A less pretentious group you'll never find, I think. But we're just as human as any member, and if you think we're erring, let us know.

We DO consider all complaints and comments seriously, but that doesn't mean we always act on them. Being a mod is a lot like trying to herd cats, with so many holding such widely divergent views and opinions and bodies of knowledge to form those on. But it's really a VERY good thing to at least have a place where all opinions are freely expressable providing only that they're within civility and morality as devined in our terms of service.

We may well err, and when we do, we feel just like anyone does when they realize they err. Sometimes, we look back, and say "We should have handled this back when (fill in the blank)." But if we adopt THAT stance, and become more active, more true and deep resentment is generated, and we put unnecessary limits on the content of the board. Mostly, we just leave folks who post to their own devices, and don't come to their rescue when they have bitten something off and find they can't handle it well. We also don't act sometimes, when something is questionable and not truly clear cut. We get just as upset and dismayed when threads get surly as any member here, but again, we mostly just leave this up to the members to sort out and deal with.

That's simply because we have faith in YOU, the members, and in the character and wisdom and fidelity of the vast majority who come here. And for that, I think I can speak for all the mods, and give you all a sincere "Thank YOU!" Yeah, we DO sometimes have to suffer someone's rants, but "in for a penny, in for a pound," and that's just part of everyday life these days, and nobody has yet come up with a way to keep folks "perfect." One even gave His life that we might learn and receive good instruction, and have a good example to follow. Even THAT hasn't made any of us "perfect!"

We mods can't prevent folks from being folks, and your understanding and high tolerance of that is MUCH appreciated. At least we DO wind up knowing what others are thinking, and from that, those of us who still care about things like that, CAN, if we but will, come to understand better WHY things work in this board or in this whole world things work out like they do. And maybe we might gain some insight from that into what WE can do as individuals to make things just a little bit better. That's a lofty goal, to be sure, and not one that's easily or readily obtainable since, as I said, it's a lot like herding cats, but at least we have an OPPORTUNITY to develop our higher graces and faculties, and do SOMETHING sometimes that might at least be aimed at making some positive difference to someone - even if it means letting folks run their course, so maybe they'll see things differently (sometimes at least?) in the end.

Thanks to all of you for the character you so often display. It really matters, here and wherever we choose to display our better sides. It always will.

Never been a MOD, never want to be. You guys do a swell job. Our Town is fine, I don't do 'social media' and it's one place to 'meet & greet' others. The MJ thread was OP looking for a possible medical solution and quickly degenerated into a yea/nay discussion. If I get badly 'ticked' I just don't post for a while. If I leave I'll just unsubscribe and not leave a comment.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I've always known that the Mods here have their hands full. I've often though how tough their job is.
    It takes a lot of time out of their days & "Night" to keep up with current and new threads and posts to those threads.
    Mentally, I've tried to put myself in their position. What would it take? Well, I'd have to be in a retired position because my busy day wouldn't allow me to watch over the territory assigned to me. You have to be pretty quick to catch some of the stuff that definitely goes against forum rules.
    The arguments some of our members get into, I'd have to sit back and scratch my head wondering if and when I'd have to step in.
    Our Mods do a great job and my hat is off to you.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Popper! That's the funniest bit of wisdom I've seen in a long time! I'm LOL!

Boolit Buddy

Folks, you do a great job. Thank you.

Banned

My opinion of Blackwater as a mod. Tough job my friend but I know you will be fair. I have come to know you even though long distance. You have my respect. All mods do to. Thank you all for keeping things so nice.
    As to trolls, I am and have always been a target of them. A troll is someone that picks a person and waits for a chance to pounce. They never post any information to help, they are lost in the process of Cast Boolits. They are personal in attacks. I will always say about a process but never about a member. Wrong lube, wrong primer, etc. But the man is important. I have made mistakes of course and have apologized. My nature is to love all of you. You are family. I have said things I regret but there is also truth I will not give up.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, 44man, I feel the same way about you and just about all who post here. I can even appreciate at least some traits of the "trouble makers" here. I come from a world where folks used to be able to discuss stuff and get red in the face in the process, but it was always over when it was over - kind'a like what Yogi said. It seems to be in style now to hold grudges and pout and fume. I'm thankful I didn't have that modeled for me early on. But then, my Dad was an old Marine, and those men HAD to think their way through most of their lives. Mom was orphaned at 15, and there WAS nobody but her to do her thinking. I was SO lucky to grow up with the parents I did! I thank God for them all the time now.

"Modern" man seems to think all he has to do is think something, and it's ipso facto the way things are. Man has always had to struggle to survive, and it's come in all manner of forms and ways. But it's how we learn, IF we'll just think about it ourselves, and don't just mimic those around us. I may not be that bright, but I DO try to do my own thinking for myself. When I'm wrong, and it can be shown to me, I'm always thankful to those who've shown me. Who'd want to go through life in error??? I just don't understand "modern ethics." They just don't make sense to me!

Boolit Grand Master

Well, seems I've missed something. That thread/subject didn't interest me so I didn't read any of it, now I'm going to go there and read some but I already know how it's going to go.

I've been a forum owner, admin and mod. Sucks, you don't make friends and someone is always there that wants to push the limits and boundaries. The rules here are very lax and the mods do a good job of letting people go within reason. I post less in the other threads than in the pit because most on here know vastly more than I do about casting and reloading not to mention different firearms so reading is much more informative for me with a few questions to clear stuff up. In short, I think the mods do a pretty good job here.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Bub
    I just wanted to say thank you to the moderators for keeping this the best site on the internet. It's a hard job that every Mod I've had contact with has been more than up to the task.

Jerry

Boolit Master
    Some points...
    1. Moderators should never participate in a discussion, especially when they have the power to pull the plug on that discussion, no more than a hockey ref should get involved in the game. Either play or referee but not both.
    2. If there's the slightest hint that a thread is going wrong, and you realize that you might pull the plug on it at some point, pull it early. Again, a hockey ref should control the game before brawls break out.
    3. A forum, like our country, should be governed by the rule of law, not by the majority. When the rules that are in place are violated, there should be penalties enacted. If the MJ thread had been stopped early, you might not have lost some otherwise vital, knowledgeable posters.

Banned
    Battis,Moderators should never articipate in a discussion? Really? They have just as much right to participate as any other member. This is what a forum is, does. You cannot compare a discussion to a hockey game. I believe a panel of mods figure out when to pull the plug on a thread. My opinion here... those that left the forum didn't have to leave. If they disagreed with the thread then all they needed to do is not visit the thread. I believe its more of a control ploy.... If you don't stop I'll leave. They left and life still goes on. Move on.

Boolit Master

I see nothing wrong with a lively discussion when it's civil. The bullying techniques (you better agree with me because I'll never stand down until you do) attitude of some here have become tiring and counterproductive to civil debate and discussion.
    It's human nature to strike back against being bullied and being pushed around by someone who thinks themselves smarter and superior to others.
    Everyone has an opinion whether they express themselves or not, but the 'I'm right and you are stupid because you don't know what you don't know' attitude has become more the problem as I see it.
    I just wonder when bullying stops and trolling begins, there doesn't seem to be a line in the sand.
    Last edited by Hickory; 01-09-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Moderators should never articipate in a discussion? Really?
    Really. If they want to participate in a discussion then they must take off their Moderator Hat. Switch hockey ref for cop. Look back at the last presidential debates when the moderators injected their opinions into the debate - it's unfair and unbalanced.
    That being said, I did give an "atta boy" to the moderators during the MJ debate for letting it go, but then they stopped it.

Banned
    I believe in calm discussions and I also don't believe in the word "Troll" In this forum lately if someone disagrees the word "troll" seems to popping up to many times. Certain threads here like the MJ thread should be closed because you have dopers on one side and those that will never partake on the other. Unstopped it will go on as long as there is space on the server to record such non-sense. Like I mentioned I have been a mod and I have also started two dfferent forums so I probably have a biased opinion. Tempers will always flare and for the most part they do a decent job here. Some in the past (past mods) have had attitudes that they are on a higher plane than the common posters. Note 2 strikes on my record.

Boolit Grand Master

The trials and tribulations of being a Mod

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Certain threads here like the MJ thread should be closed because you have dopers on one side and those that will never partake on the other. Unstopped it will go on as long as there is space on the server to record such non-sense.
    You do realize you just did the same thing. Replace doper w/ troll and you're calling someone w/ a differing opinion a name for no reason. I don't know how many times I can state that I don't use it. You're just as guilty as the people calling everyone a troll.

I do agree that the discussion will never end. To many people are set in their ways and not willing to accept when they may be wrong.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast