MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uberti 1876 45-60

Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    Another 14 rounds today, 4 with Goex Cartridge and Lyman 457192, 10 with 5744 and the BACO 45-300 bullet. Function was fine, but this certainly is not a smooth action, hopefully use will smooth it out.
    Loaded 59gr of FFF Goex Old Einsford with the Federal 215 primer under a Walters wad and behind the BACO bullet. I have high hopes for this load. Although it seems like quite a bit of compression.
    How did she do??????????????Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Buddy
    i've got the 45-75, 28.0 grs AA 5744 and an Oregon Trails 350 gr FN, shoots 1400 fs....love it....

Boolit Master
    It didn't work well, by the time I got to shooting the 59gr load had lengthened!! Too much compression I guess. I should have crimped the bullet it place. Anyway, I single loaded 1 and it kicked like a mule. I went through all the measuring again, searching for no more than .125 compression and still using the .060" wad. I ended up with 55 gr of Old Einsford FF with .110 compression under the BACO 300 gr bullet and crimped it this time. Shoots very well and the recoil is as much as I want to endure with that masochistic, curved, rifle butt plate. I'll report back when I get an average group size and chrono data.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Howdy Irascible
    I think you were asking me if the sight stem was to long to sight in at 100 yds. i got from Brownells , the answer is yes , that is why I had to solder a brass bar on the front sight.
    I also size my cast bullets to .459

Boolit Master
    No, it was somebody else suggested a taller sight. I answered that you had already done that.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Get yourself a "curved buttplate leather cover". Have one on our 50-95 and recoil is no issue. 350 grains at 1465 fps. 85 + grains of 3F.
    But then we seldom shoot on a bench with fat caliber rifles. Cross sticks with a bit of practice will give you groups that are near as good as a bench.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Just bought one from Kirkpatrick.......Helps a lot

Boolit Master
    Just for the heck of it I looked on you tube under 1876. I watched one fellow who made a big deal of pushing the last loaded round to the left after it was in the magazine tube. I tried it. darned if it didn't help. WHY? Is the elevator a one size fits all to accept the 45-75 and 50 caliber and thus too large a diameter to correctly align the thinner cartridges? If so, it would seem that one could sleeve the hole for the smaller cartridges. Maybe? Or is it for another reason?

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Remember the lifter also has to permit the rim to pass completely through during the loading process. The excess diameter makes side gate loading possible without forcing the loaded round to "bend around the corner". The straight line "tube" loading of the Henry never faced this issue.
    Plus if you are loading to max length, the last loaded round has to have the rim sitting flush with the receiver wall. If the round is sitting at an angle it is "to long" in that canted position. The nose edge or the rim edge is going to catch. By squaring that round in the lifter it will be less apt to get the rim and nose past the receiver edges on the way up.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I was thinking of making some brass about .020 longer, full length of the elevator. Maybe that's not a good idea. I'll study it some more tomorrow, plenty of time while the snow is falling. 2-4 inches, but it should be all gone by Saturday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12