WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leading with PCed boolits

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    no expert here but I've used range scrap and no leading in mid load .38, .44 Sp, .45 Colt

You can purchase a oven thermometer from wally world for about $5 (in cooking section) and that will remove doubts about baking times. Kinda wondering about your temp and this is a cheap way to answer that question

may have missed it but how long are you cooking your bullets? don't think we've addressed that yet
    I followed Smokes direction. Pre-heat (i preheated for 10 mins just to be sure) and cook it for 20 mins on the dot. I used Laser temp gun on the casts and they are around 390-400. I do stand them up and fill which is about 250 rounds per tray (Small toaster oven i think it was 4 toaster size) cheapo. I can load them 1.05-1.06 is good plunk WITHOUT PC, but I casted and PCed 2000 rounds..

Boolit Master
    i have measured alot of boolits they all come out .358 or .3575
    How soft is your alloy? And is that a TL groove mold?

Depending on how aggressive is your sizing die, and especially since you have to seat short to chamber in an XD, you should take care to check for CASE SWAGING of your bullets. Pull some bullets and re-measure them at the base. A softer bullet can get badly swaged down in size by an inadequately expanded 9mm case. Be sure to pull and measure at least one bullet from each of your headstamps. PC holds out longer than a nekkid cast bullet, but it will melt if undersized. Maybe the PC is why the fouling starts midbore rather than just in front of the leade; it could be that the PC gives out at this point.

If you adequately prep the cases so they aren't killing the bullet, you may find PC is just a waste of time. You can shoot with no fouling/smoke* if you get it right.

*at least with locked breech guns. Blowbacks and revos will benefit from PC for reduced smoke. IME, locked breech autos do not smoke, at all, if you get it right.
    Last edited by gloob; 01-05-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    How soft is your alloy? And is that a TL groove mold?

Depending on how aggressive is your sizing die, and especially since you have to seat short to chamber in an XD, you should take care to check for CASE SWAGING of your bullets. Pull some bullets and re-measure them at the base. A softer bullet can get badly swaged down in size by an inadequately expanded 9mm case. Be sure to pull and measure at least one bullet from each of your headstamps. PC holds out longer than a nekkid cast bullet, but it will melt if undersized. Maybe the PC is why the fouling starts midbore rather than just in front of the leade; it could be that the PC gives out at this point.

If you adequately prep the cases so they aren't killing the bullet, you may find PC is just a waste of time. You can shoot with no fouling/smoke* if you get it right.

*at least with locked breech guns. Blowbacks and revos will benefit from PC for reduced smoke. IME, locked breech autos do not smoke, at all, if you get it right.

I use range lead + little pewter(tin)about 1-2% additional to range lead.
    Its not TL design, its a traditional band grove design.
    I have pulled about 40 bullets and measured them all. They pull out between .3575 and .358.
    It shot very accurate, no smoke good cycle, throwing casing about 2-3 feet away. i am going to try to force 1.05 and see how it does. I know my PT111 G2 will have no problems cycling and feeding, but Shield might run into issues.

Im so fed up, i been hand depriming military ammo box filled with military 9mm brass. prob about 3k to 4k and wet tumbling them.

Boolit Master
    If bullets are big enough and they are still leading, I would check bore. Take jag and a patch to make a tight fit, and run it down your barrel. See if there isn't a choke point? Also, if you have significant lead fouling, try shooting out to 100 yards and see if accuracy is still good! I bet it's not.

FWIW, I am always surprised when people don't get case swaging in 9mm. Due to it being a tapered round the modern carbide size dies end up doing a number on them.. combined with the fact they are short and thick cases with very little room in some of them before the case web starts... in some cases indeed, not even enough room for a cast bullet. I have tossed some headstamped DAG, because nothing that seated deeper than a 124 grain jacketed ball would even fit at all. Well, you could load em, but haha, good luck chambering them. I suppose if you really wanted to use your FCD and shoot some really crappy ammo....

When I pulled my WW bullets from even good Win cases, they measured as little as 353 at the base. OTOH, come to think of it, the harder commercial MBC bullets didn't suffer as bad, hardly noticeable with calipers; not even enough objective evidence to even register. I would totally just shrug it off... and yet these bullets still caused lead fouling which went away with oversized expander. So in my book, if you're shooting lead out of a 9mm and you aren't using 38 caliber expander, you're doing it wrong. For me, that would be step 1 advice to anyone. It wouldn't even be an option.

When I went on to tackle 40SW, I never even measured a pulled bullet. In fact, I couldn't even get the bullet out of the case with a kinetic puller, unless I ran the ammo thru an FCD... so I have no idea how bad the case swaged the boolit. That's how tight it was. I just assumed the bullet was buggered to all hell, which resulted in the one shot plugged bore I experienced. And I made custom expander. Problem solved.
    Last edited by gloob; 01-06-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    From the description of your problem, I would say that your throat is shaving your bullets. Do you get a rind of lead built up in the chamber?

Banned

if you have a rough chamber or barrel its going to strip the coating and allow leading. the same gun would probably copper foul with jacketed. My suggestion is you try fire lapping your gun and polish the chamber and ramp.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Lumpkin View Post
    From the description of your problem, I would say that your throat is shaving your bullets. Do you get a rind of lead built up in the chamber?
    Good Question....i need to look for that after next shoot.
    I clean the hell out of the barrel and its nice and shinny inside now.

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely look for it during your shooting session. If the throat is scraping off a ring of lead, then you should be able to see it after 15 rounds or so.

Boolit Bub
    So i loaded up 25 rounds of 3.3gr and 25 rounds of 3.8gr COAL of 1.045-1.05 with very tight fit and shoot great and very good accuracy.
    I have found that 3.8 gr had Less fouling then 3.3gr. I may try 4.3 gr and see

Boolit Bub
    I shot 4.2gr and its swaging my primers BUT i see almost no leading after 1 dry patch after firing 15 rounds per gun.
    Here is the pic of both barrels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170106_192032.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	184545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170106_192134.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	184546
    Now i need to find happy medium 3.8gr leading, 4.2gr virtually no leading but primer is swaged. High pressure
    I also polished the chamber with flints for 10 mins each. maybe that helped.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Lumpkin View Post
    Definitely look for it during your shooting session. If the throat is scraping off a ring of lead, then you should be able to see it after 15 rounds or so.
    I checked after shooting, Yes i do get a ring of lead(well more like 1/6 of a ring or less) where the casing seat into the chamber.
    How do i fix it? and whats causing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Javater View Post
    I checked after shooting, Yes i do get a ring of lead(well more like 1/6 of a ring or less) where the casing seat into the chamber.
    Sounds like a sharp edge at the front of the chamber.

You can try burnishing the chamber by spinning a chamber brush wrapped in fine steel wool in a cordless drill; that won't hurt the barrel but might break loose a sharp machining burr if there are any. It's not an aggressive method though, and you may have to resort to firelapping or hand lapping to fix it.

Using a harder alloy helps prevent this as well, if it's not an obvious burr or rough edge in the chamber or throat. Add a little antimony to your range scrap, by adding some type metal or even some commercial cast bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I suspected you would find a ring of lead. below are some options to fix it:

1. Get the barrel throated (best option)
    2. Change alloy
    3. Change bullet profile
    4. Size even smaller

Boolit Bub
    Just found out i had no leading with thicker powdercoat. Ring i did not return. for some odd reason, but i will have to take a closer look.
    fired 12 rounds in each gun and saw no leading.

Just found out i had no leading with thicker powdercoat. Ring i did not return. for some odd reason, but i will have to take a closer look.
    fired 12 rounds in each gun and saw no leading.
    Good to hear, and glad to see you're making progress on getting it dialed in.

One other thing to consider...

I size all my 9mm's to .357. If I pull a COWW alloy boolit after loading, I'll get a bit of case swaging, in the neighborhood of .355-.3565 depending on the brass headstamp. If I use a bit harder alloy (Lyman #2, or about 15 BHN), I get little to no case swaging, the worst I've seen is .3565 from military brass. Keep in mind that I am able to seat mine long (1.125-1.130 OAL), and the deeper you seat them (as you need to for your fussy Shield), the more case swaging you'll get.

As others have mentioned, it might be a good idea to get a 38 caliber expander, and/or use a bit harder of an alloy. Especially since you're having to seat them so deep; you might be trying to throw a hot dog down a hallway.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Bub
    I already use the 38SW expander plug. I have tons and ton of military brass now and i can get unlimited amount,which i have not used yet.
    My last test had COAL of 1.05 but on the shield its doesnt fully seat without help. Should i bring it down to 1.045-1.05? I find that 3.8gr is on the high side without primer swaging. I may test more with lesser charge with double coated cats bullets. I may revisit 3.5 and 3.7gr

The seating die may be removing the bell/flare from the case mouth to soon. Open the inside of the seating die.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12