RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need it like a hole in the head, but new toy wins.

Boolit Buddy

Buckshot
    Very nice rifle in a great caliber. Just so you know, we on the East coast deleted the "need' word and substituted "want". Works for us. Good luck with that bad boy. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Buckshot, well if you ever thought you were on the slippery slope guess again. Ain't it wonderful. All kidding aside, beautiful rifle and I like the idea on how the previous owner used that aluminum piece to get the eyepiece closer to the eye. Have fun. Frank

Super Moderator

................Morgan, a beautifull rifle you have there. So you shoot it breech seating? I see my 'Pusher' buddy Jon K is showing me boolits from moulds I can't afford I did just order the Lyman offering and the Saeco 200 gr moulds. I didn't really need it, but just checking found out neither Graf nor Midway) had and 32-40 brass. Midway said out of stock and no backorder.

Gonna have to make one of those palmrest dealie bobs for it.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Buckshot, Thanks, if you post a photo of yours with the action open, I'll try to figure out which action you have. 30-30 brass will work just fine. I can send you some cases made from it. I've been using the same case for years, must have loaded it thousands of times. Are you going to breech seat? I should have some tapered bullets laying around if you'd like to try them. Some lubed and some not. They're from a Hoch mold. Probably cast them ten years ago. Send me a PM.
    Morgan

Buckshot, If you don't like using .30-30 brass because it's about .010 short, you can use .38-55 brass, it's the same length as the .32-40. You can just run in through your .32-40 sizing die.
    Just checked, Starline has .38-55, but they're showing two lengths, 2.082" and 2.125" I thought 2.082 was the .375Win. length, and 2.125 the .38-55 length. Don't know what's going on, I sold my .38-55 Borchardt years ago.
    Anyway, Starline has the long .38-55 brass in stock, and so does Midway. Midway also has Win. .38-55 brass, which should be 2.125" I'm guessing, this was always the correct length.
    Morgan

Super Moderator

..............Morgan, I'll send you a PM about the boolits. So far as brass goes I have 50 once fired (or so I was told it was) and 100 new unfired W-W. A friend of mine knows someone with 32-40 brass but nothing to shoot it in and he said the guy should sell it reasonable, so the brass issue isn't critical whether the supposed "friend's" supply becomes available or not.

I was running a bunch of size die orders today and threw in one for me while I was at it It was a push through type and was supposed to be .321". I got in a hurry and finished too close with the boring bar. It polished out nice at .322" and I ran a bunch of Lyman 210 gr 323471's up through it.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Rick,

Try it like it is, should be OK. Hoch makes moulds for .32 Schuetzen .322" x .314" tapered for breech seating.
    Col 2:13-17

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    Rick,

Try it like it is, should be OK. Hoch makes moulds for .32 Schuetzen .322" x .314" tapered for breech seating.
    ...............If I get the chance tomorrow I'll load some up to shoot Tuesday.

...............Buckshot

Boolit Master

Nice gun and nice hardwood floors Morgan!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Buckshot, Sent you an E-mail.
    Morgan

Rick, Here are two push-style breech seaters in .32-40 cal. The short one is pushed in with the thumb, and the breech block complets the seating. In my rifle, in which I've reamed a 1-1/2º throat, it enters all but a bit less than 1/8" by hand. The radius on your breech block would probably be enough to complete the seating. The rod used is steel, a flat milled, and retained by a brass pin soldered in to the case.

The long seater is actually two piece. The rear part is drilled for the reduced diameter end of the plunger, which is soldered in, and then bent.

The bullets are the same as the ones I sent you, 188gr. 20-1 lead-tin. You can try breech seating, by cutting two dowels to place in an empty case. One 1/2" from the case mouth, and the other full length. Place the bullet in the short one, seat, and then finish with the second. Will probably take some experimenting with dowel lengths. Good Luck,
    Morgan

Moderator Emeritus
    Buckshot I understand your predicament. However, if the guilt is really paining you then just pack up the rifle and I will send you my shipping details.

It looks like you have picked up a 'Pearler'; hang on to it with both hands mate just in case someone else makes you an offer.

Morgan The second seater in your posting was the one I had heard about as it starts with the boolit inside the seater and only completes the task of seating the boolit into the rifling after the case 'Headspaces' out.

It helps to protect the boolet from various injuries during the seating process at least thats the way I understand it. IMO, That type would also give you better alignment of the boolit with the bore.

Buckshot, you will have to post some of your results on the range and let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,

John.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John, You're right, but even the short seater, subjects the bullet to less marking than a loaded round would, and with the tapered bullet, and the 1-1/2º throat, the bullet enters the bore without any damage. When seated, the front band is just land diameter, and the rear band bore diameter, the other bands engaging the rifling in progressive amounts. This positions the bullet in the throat in perfect alignment, like a tapered shank in its socket. The Hock mold was my design, made according to a Cerrosafe chamber and throat casting I sent in to Dave Farmer.
    Morgan

In Remebrance

Buck- That threaded hole might be for a palm rest?

You guys have to stop posting pics like those and Morgans. I can't keep buying keyboards when the old ones short out from the drool!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking it pretty likely that the threaded hole on the side of the action was part of an original rear sight mount. I recall reading to the effect that the Euro shooters would typically carry their sights separate from the gun, to avoid knocks and bumps in transit.

Re: the "apprentice" theory.

It doesn't seem right to me. I've heard that line before in a couple different fields, and in the end, I find it lacking.

Effectively, the total supply of well made, ornamented pieces such as these, would have to be limited at one or maybe two, per apprentice, if they were actually "apprentice pieces" or "masterpieces".

The world would have to be awash in qualified apprentice gunmakers to get a many of them to be around.

I figure it is more likely, that the guns were built to order, at the level of decoration that the customer was willing to pay for, or that there were, as in so many things, different grades of the same thing, depending on ones tastes. And finances.
    The lack of marking is explained as simply that they were recognizable as to what they were, and did not need the "brand name" carved into them, as do so many of the bland and generic products of this day and age.
    I find it a possibility too, that for their time, these may not have even qualified as exceptional pieces, but rather merely "good" in a time when good was what you expected to get when you paid for "good". For real money, you got gold inlays, and fine engraving in addition to the workmanship that was expected.

Regarding the engraved screws, these are not uncommon, even in fairly basic grades of hand made guns.

Makes for a good story, but not one that I would make any bets on being able to back up with research. Not to cover off the numbers of them around, in any case.

For comparison, look at the number of surviving American made fine target rifles that have survived, and the levels of hand work that have gone into them, in fitting them together, as well as in assembling "select" components, and embellisments that did nothing to make them shoot better, but added a great deal to their value as fashion statements, at the range.

I would expect a similar proportion of the rifles that were bought in Europe in that era to have survived as have done so on this side of the ocean, taking into account the histories of the two sides. They, after all, had to deal with two wars, while on this side of the ocean, the fad for "varmint" rifles saw a huge number of the high grade target guns get hot dipped, and clothed in ugly wood and white line spacers.

Thanks for the stripdown on the Aydt action. Simple in the design, complicated in the details.

Cheers
    Trev

Boolit Master
    Good lookin rifle Buckshot, and thanks Morgan for pics and history of yours. Beautiful.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Super Moderator

...............I just HAD to shoot the scheutzen rifle even though I didn't have any correct boolits for it. The closest I had on hand that would work in the slim time span I had in which to load these up was a couple 8 mm designs.

Both these had been lubesized @ .323" and were sitting there in the plastic slip top 22 mag RF boxes. As I had been in the process of making up lube dies orders the previous 2 days, I tossed in a Lee push through to do for myself, and made it .322", so I had that on hand.

On the left is the NLA Lyman 323471 all dressed @ 214 grs and sized to .322". On the right is a custom GB Lee 8mm mould I'd had them do a couple years back. It drops at .326" and here sized to .322", with lube & etc it weighs 244 grs. These cases were some that came in a paper bag that a buddy gave me. They're W-W headstamped but had a fairly deep cannelure rolled in for the boolit to sit on (I suspect).

As you can see on the right, the 244gr slug had to be seated just below the cannelure in order to chamber. The nose at .318" and the front band at .320" were both engraved. The Lyman boolit had the front drive band engrave. All that's great, but did I have any load data for 200+ grain slugs? Nope.

I really didn't have the time to look too far either. All I had on paper available to me went to 187 grs. Since all I wanted to be able to do was to just SHOOT the thing I loaded 30.0 grs of surp WC860. I knew it would be safe. I was pretty sure the rifle wasn't going to be able to stabilize either slug, and so it turned out.

The report was mild, recoil was nil and the bore was littered with unburned powder. I'd only loaded 5 rounds of each. The Lymans surprisingly enough put 3 of the 5 into a hole the size of a nickle. But one high and one low ended up being about 5". The holes were jelly bean shaped. The big 244gr boolits sent 2 through the paper completly sideways, and the other 3 were lozenge shaped. Group size for these ran about 6". It was a nice round group though

..................Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 07-24-2008 at 03:38 AM.

So im waking up a very old thread but you have the plans for that custom GB Lee 8mm mould Buckshot??? Would like to see about a copy of it!
    Mickey Mouse School of Combat Graduate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12