Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee pro auto disk powder measure improvements?

Boolit Master

Lee pro auto disk powder measure improvements?

OK I am running a thread to pick everyones brain about some possible upgrades I am currently experimenting with on the Lee pro auto disk powder measure, the one's with the Red round hopper.

These are nothing more at this time than thoughts and tinkering on a few measures I own, but may consider something else in the future.

Meanwhile here's a list of what I am playing with at the moment:

A larger hopper, up to 2 pounds

a powder cop for both standard and larger powder hoppers, I know Dillon has one I hope I can do better, we'll see.

stopping the leaking issues with ball type powders

keeping the powder measure from "sticking" and not dropping a powder charge, doing a lot with that right now!

Other Ideas may pop up as I continue "tinkering"!

Currently I have a test bed measure set up to drop 40 Grains WW748 for my go to 308 load, testing will be running the measure on a Classic Cast press so I can weigh each charge and examine any leakage that occurs as it occurs.

If all goes well I will be setting up a Pro 1000 press to load 308's in the near future to make sure the vibrations of the progressive press don't fix the adjustments of the modified powder measure.

Question: is anybody else interested in these ideas?? If so please feel free to post your comments with the understanding that I will not be doing anything commercial anytime soon if ever!

HM

Boolit Master
    I could be way off here, but I'm not sure if the Lee Pro 1000 has enough stroke for 308.
    Have you checked that?

It is supposed to be just for pistol calibres.

Boolit Master

The only Lee rifle round listed for the 1000 is the 223. I would say that the Lee Load Master Press would better handle the 308 having both in my collection. The 1000 starts to choke on resizing the 45 lr so it just seems like it would be a little light for any rifle round.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Vendor Sponsor

If you really want to engineer out some of the worst attributes of Lee measures, engineer out the horrible plastic charge bars. All these things do is gather and create static.

Make a billet aluminum adjustable charge bar and the Lee auto disk turns into one of the best powder measures you will ever use. It rivals a Dillon without question, as a matter of fact two of these Lee measures ran the Dillon off my press and into a box.

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

As for the Pro Auto Disk powder measure, I started out with the Auto Disk powder measure and got the conversion to the Pro Auto Disk until a storm wiped me out. I now both the Pro Auto Disk powder measure and the Perfect Powder Measure (the one before the Auto Drum powder measure). I found the Perfect Powder Measure works very well with large drops. Anyway, about the larger hopper, it may give you variations in drop weight due to the different size hopper. Many of the other powder measures have a baffle inside to control the weight problem to give a constant input.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Master

I've used all of Lee's measures, I much prefer the new Auto Drum. I did have issues with the Auto Disk sticking when using the spring causing me to have issues with no powder in some cartridges. The chain is just a pain, issues with the Auto Disk getting in a bind and breaking the chain.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    I could be way off here, but I'm not sure if the Lee Pro 1000 has enough stroke for 308.
    Have you checked that?
    It will but you have to remove the twist rod and turn the turret by hand. Works for me anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edonwheels73 View Post
    It will but you have to remove the twist rod and turn the turret by hand. Works for me anyway.

Oh, OK
    Does it have enough leverage for re-sizing?
    I would think a classic turret with an Auto Drum would be a better choice for what the OP wants to do.
    It will have a 4th station for the powder cop he wants to use.
    He doesn't mention production rates though.
    The red neck answer for a BIG powder hopper is to simply buy another (or 2) "round red hoppers", cut it off and duct tape 2 (0r 3) together...
    I'd get a baffle too,
    jmo
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-04-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Oh, OK
    Does it have enough leverage for re-sizing?
    I would think a classic turret with an Auto Drum would be a better choice for what the OP wants to do.
    jmo
    I loaded 35 remington without a problem and I'm about to start 270. I put the auto drum on it too and really like it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    If you really want to engineer out some of the worst attributes of Lee measures, engineer out the horrible plastic charge bars. All these things do is gather and create static.

Make a billet aluminum adjustable charge bar and the Lee auto disk turns into one of the best powder measures you will ever use. It rivals a Dillon without question, as a matter of fact two of these Lee measures ran the Dillon off my press and into a box.

That looks great - would you have a drawing of that available? I have a friend in the machine shop at work that may make it for me.....

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by woody290 View Post
    That looks great - would you have a drawing of that available? I have a friend in the machine shop at work that may make it for me.....

Chuck
    I have solid modelled the two main parts, so if you are interested, PM me and I can send through a step or iges file, or create a drawing.

You may need to tweak some of the dimensions or work out tolerances, and decide what thread to cut for the adjusting screw.

A bit of hand finishing should give you good parts.

Boolit Master
    For those who may not know, Dillon pays Lee a royalty for his powder measure it's the same patent as the auto disk measure.

i have looked at the pro 1000 briefly but have not put a case to it yet, plan was to make the measure work first then move on.

Nice job on the aluminum replacement for the disk's in the measure, how much powder will that hold, a taller unit may be the ticket.

For now I'll polish the plastic and see what happens, Norbrat PM incoming with my E mail addy sure appreciate plans for that Adjustable slide I have a Mill and a Lathe but they are in storage right now but who knows where this may go.

This is the kind of info I like please keep it coming, also the reason I'm using the Pro 1000 is I have a couple no plans to buy a Loadmaster it's kinda of a see if I can do it thing!

HM
    Last edited by HeavyMetal; 01-04-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I suggest the auto drum especially if you change loads often.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    For those who may not know, Dillon pays Lee a royalty for his powder measure it's the same patent as the auto disk measure.

i have looked at the pro 1000 briefly but have not put a case to it yet, plan was to make the measure work first then move on.

Nice job on the aluminum replacement for the disk's in the measure, how much powder will that hold, a taller unit may be the ticket.

For now I'll polish the plastic and see what happens, Norbrat PM incoming with my E mail addy sure appreciate plans for that Adjustable slide I have a Mill and a Lathe but they are in storage right now but who knows where this may go.

This is the kind of info I like please keep it coming, also the reason I'm using the Pro 1000 is I have a couple no plans to buy a Loadmaster it's kinda of a see if I can do it thing!

HM
    This gets about 27gr H110, it may or may not meter enough H110 for a full house load in the 454 Casull case, and it certainly won't meter enough to service a full house load in the 480 Ruger or 500 S&W so a taller measure would be necessary to do the big bore calibers and also rifle cases like the 308.

Dillon measures come with two bars, the shorter pistol bar uses a spacer and the bar, the taller rifle bar just uses the taller bar. You could add 1/4" to the thickness of the billet aluminum charge bar and put a 1/4" spacer on each leg where the screw holds the hopper on and expand the capacity like that.

I also have not experimented with a shorter slide which would offer more capacity to the metering chamber as well, just this simple change would allow it to throw probably 40+gr of H110 but you would then be limited to only doing large cases since at the smallest adjustment it would be much too large of a cavity for any 9mm, 45 ACP or 357 magnum loads.

My son made two of these for me on CNC equipment and they are extreme precision, no leaks at all, no binding, and no static. I keep trying to get him to make more but he doesn't really have the time at work for side jobs. Maybe I'll get a rifle bar from Santa next Christmas????
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

While I create the drawings from the model, here is the original thread

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pix-dimensions

Boolit Master
    DougGuy:
    the charging disks are doubled in my pro auto disk measure and are about .900 thick, this would allow you a much larger adjustable charge bar at least for the larger pistol rounds.

This is not what I really started this thread about but it might be possible to make the pro 1000 taller with minimal effort but the press would still be three stations!

Not sure how that would effect die set up, and I have no intention of going there any time soon, LOL!

Full length sizing 308 case's was never my intention with the pro 1000 particularly since I de cap and clean the brass before starting the reloading process. I also size and trim on the classic cast and well as doing other case prep to the 308 brass before staring the loading cycle.

Because of this the need for the pro 1000 to full length size a 308 case doesn't come into play in my style of reloading, and, by rotating the die sequence, I might powder charge in station one, seat a bullet in station two and a FCD die in station three before ejecting the live round.

Not completely progressive reloading but faster than a single stage batch loading system.

That's what I really like about this site new ideas and new thoughts on how to better handle our loading tools!

I'll wait for more ideas.

HM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edonwheels73 View Post
    I suggest the auto drum especially if you change loads often.

Yes.
    Auto drum is a good idea.

S

Boolit Master
    Both plates should propably be able to change. Then you manage to do the swap just by replacing two plates.

S

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    DougGuy:
    the charging disks are doubled in my pro auto disk measure and are about .900 thick, this would allow you a much larger adjustable charge bar at least for the larger pistol rounds.

This is not what I really started this thread about but it might be possible to make the pro 1000 taller with minimal effort but the press would still be three stations!

Not sure how that would effect die set up, and I have no intention of going there any time soon, LOL!

Full length sizing 308 case's was never my intention with the pro 1000 particularly since I de cap and clean the brass before starting the reloading process. I also size and trim on the classic cast and well as doing other case prep to the 308 brass before staring the loading cycle.

Because of this the need for the pro 1000 to full length size a 308 case doesn't come into play in my style of reloading, and, by rotating the die sequence, I might powder charge in station one, seat a bullet in station two and a FCD die in station three before ejecting the live round.

Not completely progressive reloading but faster than a single stage batch loading system.

That's what I really like about this site new ideas and new thoughts on how to better handle our loading tools!

I'll wait for more ideas.

HM
    OK, more info is always helpful...
    I would also attempt to use a Pro 1000 if I had some laying around gathering dust, and sizing/primer before using the Pro 1000 makes having only 3 stations work too.
    Although that machined slide is an improvement on the Pro Disc is a great upgrade, it appears to be so wide/bulky that risers might be needed to get it to work on the Pro 1000.
    So you might consider using the Auto Drum as suggested.
    jmo