Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indoor Range shooting

We have two outstanding indoor lanes in the San Diego area..one is near new...both have handgun ranges to 25 yards and indoor rifle ranges to 100 yards...they offer excellent air exchange and ventilation...both are open long hours and both are very well run...it's about $15 an hour to shoot...22's to big rifles work...the one has a full trap range outdoors (not sure about the other one)...crowds on the weekends are an issue but daytimes from time they open for couple of hours is not bad at all..Staffs are great and the retail store sides are large and complete with lots of guns for sale and a good selection for rent...ear protection is critical..i double up with plugs and muffs.

P2K is where I normally shoot....http://www.p2krange.com/

Poway is the new range and I hear it is terrific but it's a bit further for me.....https://www.weaponsandgearrange.com/

Boolit Grand Master

The only place to shoot when I lived in/around Los Angeles were indoor ranges. There were/are outdoor ranges (3) but the closest was a 1+ hour freeway drive from my house. I managed to shoot about 3 times per month and the cost was, IIRC about $10.00 per session (usually as long as I wanted) and the ranges were 50', powered retrieve of targets, well lit. That lasted mebbe 17 years or so and nope, I ain't got lead poisoning...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I prefer outdoor unless it's freezing. It's no fun to be outdoor shooting when it's 10 degrees out.

The indoor ranges near near me are OK but they can be crowded the clientele can be annoying. The lady next to me last time at the range kept hitting the ceiling. She couldn't find any holes on the target and get bringing it closer and closer. I let them know what she was hitting but they didn't seem to believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I prefer outdoor unless it's freezing. It's no fun to be outdoor shooting when it's 10 degrees out.

The indoor ranges near near me are OK but they can be crowded the clientele can be annoying. The lady next to me last time at the range kept hitting the ceiling. She couldn't find any holes on the target and get bringing it closer and closer. I let them know what she was hitting but they didn't seem to believe me.
    We have several high quality indoor ranges that have opened in this area. Unfortunately they have become very popular and in addition to suffering from the same things you mentioned, it's stupid loud and crazy crowded to the point of being too nerve racking for me to enjoy myself. On top of that some do gooder is always a little too quick with the broom despite telling them I want to pickup my brass. They sweep it forward before I can recover it even when I only shoot 5 rounds at a time to have a sporting chance of recovering my brass. I'm going to need a handgun brass catcher if I shoot there. I have to try to figure out what the off peak time to go is or freeze outdoor at the club I belong to.

Boolit Master
    I feel ya 6622729, I always try to stand next to the far right wall so my brass collects near my feet and makes it harder for others to sweep up. And people shooting their new super tactical AR pistol at 10 yards is beyond obnoxious. Every target on the range gets blasted by the concussion.

Boolit Master
    I use an indoor range that's about 8 miles from me. I bought a handgun there and am currently a paid member. I can pretty much shoot whatever handgun I want, but I believe there is a limit as to .454, .480. And rifle rounds in an encore or contender. If I want to rent a pistol or revolver I must use on site purchased ammo. Usually after shooting I'll buy a Pepsi. Costs me less than a dollar
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Our club is in an old railway tunnel targets 25/50/100/150 and 200 meters £250 a year no other fees .open Wednesday Saturday Sunday, does corporate days ,has a shop and will order anything you want at competive prices.if the weather is good I do prefer outdoor shooting .you can shoot up to 20mm ,that's more than some military ranges over here.I use ear plugs and muffs 50 cal are bloody loud in there.

Boolit Grand Master

since 1982 , I helped draw the building plans for the first in town. Was given a free 1 year membership and participated in a NRA Bullseye Shooting League. Lately I had been driving out to free outdoor range , 45 minute drive , until last August . It was so HOT and so HUMID I decided to pay the fee and shoot indoors. It was so worth the money I will have to think long and hard about going back to the outdoor range again.
    I don't care what anybody says....the greatest invention in my lifetime is affordable central Air Conditioning with Heating coming in second ! I well remember home , school , church and cars not having any HVAC. The local movie had AC and we would the entire Saturday there watching three movies and a cartoon. Forget sliced bread or getting a man on the moon...AC rocks in the South.

Boolit Master

In my opinion, you can't do better than an indoor range for load development, both for the handgun or rifle. Getting to the range prior to the song birds awaking is probably as good for load development, if one is an early bird.

Funny how those groups magically open up, later in the day. For most of us anyway.

Boolit Master

Only indoor range within 50 miles is about 5 minutes from my door. Been inside exactly once, just long enough to read their posted rules/rates: NO 'lead' bullets, NO handloads, and NO 'draw-from-holster' allowed. Individual membership (does not include immediate family) is $400/yr. with free unlimited range time on weekdays and discount on week-end rates ($20/hr instead of $35).

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

My high school buddy's dad was a member of the Compton Rod and Gun Club, back in the '60s. When the state was building a freeway next to the club's property, someone had the great idea to lay some 4' cement sewer pipe and let the state cover it up. The club had a 100 yard x 4' tunnel under the Long Beach Freeway to shoot in!

Boolit Master

I have an indoor range about 4 miles from the house for $80/yr. It is a swipe card deal to get in the club and it's a 10 point 50' range with good ventilation(but it does suck the heat out). I only use it here in the winter time. You can shoot anything up to 1400 fps and the club supplies targets for pistol,sporter rifle and smallbore rifle. We have turning targets which is nice. They have an olympic setting that turns the targets face for 2 seconds then edge for 7 secs then back again to face. Nice for defensive carry practice putting time and pressure on the shooter. I usually go over 1 or 2 times a week in the winter. I generally have the range to myself if I go over during the day.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I went to the range today. I always wonder why I bring more empty brass home than full brass that I took?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I went to the range today. I always wonder why I bring more empty brass home than full brass that I took?
    Mitosis! Activated upon firing...

Boolit Master
    I thought it was because I was in Georgia shooting and the brass was doing the hanky panky when I wasn't looking.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ