Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New president equals powder availability

I agree with the above that said the supply will get better, but do not see any improvement in prices. Especially as the economy improves and we experience inflation across the board.

I'm just thankful that the silent majority has begun to speak and I believe that our capacity to "re take" America is only beginning to show. This movement is pervasive but I'm not sure how much it will effect ammo and component prices, a little due to supply and demand. I just hope that high quality components will continue to be available but at least the real irrational legislation will probably be stopped...EPA ban on lead, ammunition accountability act, making all ammo and components hazmat etc. January 20th starts a new philosophical movement, thank the lord. GLORIA IN EXCELSIOR DEO!

Boolit Buddy

A couple of states have pushed more people into reloading with their idiotic ammo laws. A good part of the North East has ammo purchase restrictions that require a permit or at least no mail order purchasing. California has started a new trend with placing a limit on how much ammo can be purchased in a time period. All of these laws are pushing people to skirt the restrictions, if possible, by getting into reloading.

My state of New York had (has?) a requirement as part of our SAFE Act that ended purchasing ammo other than face-to-face and also required the state police to record all ammo purchases. Since the State police had no way of do this the later part of the law has been suspended (quasi legally) by our idiots in Albany, but not removed from the books.

I hear rumors that some of the morons at the capital are interested in joining CA with ammo limits. Something like 10 rounds/3 months. I wonder how trap or skeet shooters will like the ability to shoot one round of trap/skeet every 9 months?

The only rifle/pistol ammo that is not easily loaded at home is rimfire, as everyone knows, and so there's ongoing pressure to purchase as much as can be found/afforded by the hoarding kind. I have been asked to shoot .22 for competition at our local club, but since a steady supply of the same brand of .22lr's has not been around and switching ammo requires me to adjust the scope on my target rifle to stay on the center, I've found it pointless to attempt to shoot for now. Plus the rimfire price is such that I can reload other ammo for less that the cost to feed the bull barrel .22 beast.

Whether our new leader does anything to improve things for us or not is still up in the air as far as I'm concerned. I hope that he will, but he may be willing to trade favors with the lib's to get something he wants pushed through congress and I do not trust the repub's, in general, any more than I trust the out going bunch.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Don, As a fellow NYer we are doomed to live in a state that only has one viable party in charge. As long as NYC leftists run the show here(HRC got 79% of the NYC vote while my small rural Upstate County voted 12,000 Trump; 5000 Clinton) we will only see more anti Second Amendment laws.

In Remembrance
    I do not see how the president or political party can do anything to ease up availability and or prices directly.
    Basically the only thing a president had to do with it was to get us to show our fear everytime something happened that we thought would bring about more gun laws.

As the masses are not afraid of Trump near as bad, there probably will not be as much panic buying and availability will improve. It has already to some extent since so many closets has been filled to overflowing.

I do not think under President Trump we will be seeing any more huge government orders which in the long run will help.

But I do not see the demand for .22lr going down or away anytime soon. In fact I see the reverse. Shooting sports are on the rise, every year more children come of age and want to shoot. .22lr demand is going to keep spiraling up. This is the new normal. Within 2 years we may see them go back to a dime ea for a while. And to me that is still not that expensive.

25 to 35$ for a box of Deer Rifle ammo in .30-30, .308, .30-06 to me is much less palatable. But we don't have to take those prices. We craft our own. With .22lr it is not so easy.

My Advice, clean and oil your .22lr long guns and put them away. Either shoot centerfire that you load, primer, small amount of powder, bit of lead for about the same price as a .22lr round. But with a lot more bang for the buck.

Or, get used to shelling out more cash for those little golden jewels.

Me I have ordered 2k of Federal Champion Auto Match twice in the last year. And I was sitting on a 4k stash to start with. It is like buying gold or silver. If anything happens they are worth 10 times what I paid for them.

If nothing happens they are still a good hedge against inflation.
    And it insures that I can shoot as long as I want to shoot.

All you guys waiting for the price to go down, don't hold your breath. This right now is what IS.
    You can live in the past if that is what you want. Me I'll live in the now and keep shooting.

And if you do not have one yet, buy and Airgun. Spend at least as much as you would for a quality .22lr. There are many options in the 2-300$ price range. Pcp, Springer, Vortex/gas piston, pumpers.

Me I wanted something that did not come connected to a tank or pump that in a SHTF scenario becomes hard to fill.

Pellets right now are 1.89 cents each. Yeah, like the golden days were for .22lr.

But they are rising. Buy an air gun now, buy a big stock of ammo to feed it. Me I like Crossman Primier Hollow Points. They shoot well in all my air rifles.

Adapt, or die. We know which one the Dinosaurs prefered, what will you do?

Boolit Grand Master

You guys are forgetting about the other half of the country. The left is now in the arm themselves and stockpile mode. Considering they are starting w/ a lot less then we had this could make things very tough to come by. Buy all you can when you can. Now is not the time to take your foot off the pedal.

Boolit Master

Well to the two who are still in NY I am sorry you are having such a bad time of it. I escaped 14 years ago when an ex just couldn't seem to get out of my life. I miss upstate where I lived and worked for almost 40 years, but the political climate, meddling ex just took all the fun out of living there.
    You will most likely see more negative rules/laws concerning your second amendment rights as long as NYC is part of the state.
    A very long time ago you had to sign for 22lr ammo, was really stupid but that was the law back then. I don't remember there being any other restrictions which is why the law was so stupid. I remember this law as I purchased a large amount of 22lr that day and remember having to sign for each box of 22lr that I purchased and my hand was sore when I got done. Restricting ammo purchases will only force people to go out of state and bring back purchases from out of state and hope to not get stopped. Next the state will maybe try to get states close to NY to rat on you if you purchase out of state ammo.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    This Pres is the best gun salesmen that we ever seen.
    Correction. The LAST president was the best gun, ammo and component salesman in U.S. history! No contest whatsoever.

I bought very near a lifetime supply of 22lr back in 2009, and I definitely bought a lifetime supply of .177 and .22 lead pellets. It was not that difficult. I have forgotten how many cases I bought and I don't even shoot 22lr or airguns that much these days, but, anymore, I don't have to even look at the stuff when I go to the store and that alone was worth a few thousand dollars. Right now I am shooting 10 rounds of 22lr once a month at a silhouette match where we shoot cast bullets only in rimfire rifle, centerfire pistol and centerfire rifle. I may shoot rimfire steel challenge this summer, in which case I will be burning up about 300 rounds of .22lr or so per match. My point is ... I don't have one, haha. Buy ammo and components. Life is short. pew, pew!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12