Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Copper Gas check corrosion

Copper Gas check corrosion

I have factory purchased and self stamped Pat Marlins copper gas checks and they all look great. I didn't run out all of my copper sheeting last time I was stamping gas checks. I noticed several out of a hundred or so flat disks have discolored? Any idea what that is about? Is there something I can spray and tumble on my gas checks to help preserve them?

Gas checks will discolor if stored in open air. This is a natural process of copper oxidation. To prevent this they should be stored in a airtight container with a copper corrosion prevention medium like Coppertex. This is a commercial copper preservative paper that offgasses an inert protective coating. Many commercial gas check manufactures provide some type of preservative.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    John

Ok, so as I have a lifetime supply, how do I protect them at home? They are in an airtight container. They need some sort of preservative.

This is what we are using: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=Coppertex . Obviously a little pricy if your just using it for yourself. We cut it into one inch squares and put in with our checks. Maybe something like this would work for you: https://www.amazon.com/Armor-Protect...rds=Copper+VCI
    John

Moderator Emeritus

verdigris or age tarnish ?
    or some other corrosion?

If verdigris, is there some animal fat in the lube that you are using on your dies?
    Or maybe something transferred from your fingers?

When there was some discussion about certain types of lube ingredients that can corrode GC's installed on lubed boolits during long term storage, I started a long term experiment with copper GC'd boolits lubed with SL68B. I'm just beyond two years, still no corrosion.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    try the little desiccant bags
    now for where to get them free
    go to a home depot or lowes
    where the copper caps are for the posts most HD stores are same so asle 22 they have the boxes of copper and wood caps . we didnt take them out so there is 4 in each of the boxes . and they stock about 4 types . ask one of the guys and he may save them for you.
    they are also in the door jamb and casing boxes . but you would have to be instore when they come in . most times every 2 weeks

I found a company online that markets beads and jewelry related craft pieces that sells small sheets of Coppertex. I bought a pack and some more 50 caliber ammo boxes. I'll move all of my copper jacketed bullets, copper plated bullets and copper gas checks into those. They'll be airtight and have Coppertex in each one.

Boolit Grand Master

Ask your druggist to save the packets that come in bulk drugs. They can be recharged as any other in an oven at 220 for an hr.
    Store with your copper disc in an airtight container and there should be no tarnish or worse, because of the lack of moisture.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

Dark brown or green ?
    Dark brown is just natural darkening of copper , it's not a problem.
    Green is verdigris a type of oxidation and you want to stop it. Moisture usually triggers it. It may appear as white or very pale green also .
    I spray mine with WD40 , water displacement properties of WD40 work well in this instance.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Dark brown or green ?
    Dark brown is just natural darkening of copper , it's not a problem.
    Green is verdigris a type of oxidation and you want to stop it. Moisture usually triggers it. It may appear as white or very pale green also .
    I spray mine with WD40 , water displacement properties of WD40 work well in this instance.
    Gary
    Dark Brown. No green.

Boolit Master

Use them as is, no issues
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    Dark Brown. No green.
    They are OK , mist them with a bit of WD40 just to be on the safe side. It won't stop darkening but will stop greening by displacing moisture. I do this to all my copper checks.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Just be on the safe side to keep wet WD40 away from powder.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    John