Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Got a few squirrels with lead pellets.

Got a few squirrels with lead pellets.

Shot out of my RWS 52 .177.
    Got to the woods about 8 am and saw squirrels running up and down through the trees. I worked my way toward them and managed to shoot one gray but the other one took off. At the same time I saw three fox squirrels doing the same thing about 50 yards away. After a short stalk I readied my self for a shot and it wasn't long before I got the first one at 30 yards. He dropped and I reloaded for another shot. A few seconds later one of the other fox squirrels gave me a shot and I dropped him about 20 yards away. The third one took off so I kept on still hunting down the hill. After about a half hour I spotted another gray and shot him at about 20 yards. It was 9:30 and the activity stopped like you turned off a light switch, so I headed back to the truck happy that I got four with four shots.
    Life member NRA since 1976

Get the dumplings going! Way to go! That's a beautiful rifle.

Boolit Master
    Those are fine, accurate rifles. Good for your success this morning.

Banned

I shot a lot of squirrels as a kid with an RWS air rifle I sadly no longer have. Have killed a few since with a Sheridan Blue Streak. Air rifle are plenty capable in the hands of a good hunter.

Boolit Master

Good shooting! Wish we had fox squirels around here. The last gray we shot was real tough so I pressure cooked it for 30 min before frying it. Turned out great! Most would probably only need 15-20 min.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice work......that is a nice looking rifle. But all I can see is excellent fly tying material in those gorgeous squirrel tales.....LOL

Great shooting and photo. What is the large ring that looks like it is mounted to the scope. I'm old, but not to old to learn something new.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master

Wow, brings back great memories
    Thank you
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Yes it does miss Big Safari for Grandma ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    Great shooting and photo. What is the large ring that looks like it is mounted to the scope. I'm old, but not to old to learn something new.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
    That is a side focus scope, so it adjusts the parrallax. Pretty common for airgun use. Normally it's just a small knob but the side wheel is easier to use with one finger.
    Life member NRA since 1976

Moderator Emeritus

When my son was young, he shot so many squirrels in the branch by our house that I got him a Sheridan .20 cal., thinking that might slow him down. It didn't. AND, he finally came in with a good sized coon he shot with it. Nailed it right in the heart, just like I'd shown him to do! There's no greater fun in the woods than a good squirrel hunt! NONE!

Boolit Master

Air Rifles and Squirrels

Recently I have had a lot of problems with squirrels in my barn, they got in the top and chew on the wiring and insulation, they also got in my animal feed and corn. The final straw was they got into my workshop and chewed on my fathers leather knife sheath. I purchased a Benjamin Trail NP2 nitro piston in 22 cal. I have now killed 8 squirrels going in and out of my barn. All but one were one shot kills. Three were killed at 47 yards (I had used my range finder). I am amazed at these new generation air rifles. On the down side I didn't get to eat any of the squirrels, my Great Pyrenees is a lot faster than I am. Plus she is my livestock guardian and I have lost any stock since she took over guard duties.