WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Marten family

Boolit Master

Marten family

Women are always complaining that men are not good in multitasking.
    I had a pile of steel in front of the small CNC lathe so no way to get access to it until they where finished.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170102_193023.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	184126
    While doing them I run bitween the lathe and the computer to sketch up the possible caliber conversions to .32 S&W long. While doing that I was thinking possible name for the cartridge family. As the .38 special turned to .30 is called .30 Badger, I though that name should be from same family as both are originally rimmed revolver cartridges. I checked it from wikipedia, and find out that badger is from the marten family, so what would be better name than Marten.. As it is the little brother to badger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170102_192955.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	184128
    From the left: 6mm, .224, .17,.14 and .12

The prototypes are from steel as I will make reamers from them so that I can do the neck reducing dies.
    The lenght will also change as the drawing down will stretch the case growing the powder space.

S

Boolit Master
    The base for the design was 6mm PPC. I scaled it down according to the caliber change. There might be a need for the neck turning as we go down with the size. This is due to the percentual increace of the wall thickness in the mouth of the case. That might lead to the increase of retention force or its instability.

S

With the .12 cal you'll be in the same boat as me and trying to get a rifle barrel. No one currently makes one from what I have found though there may be some coming in the future.

Boolit Master
    Cleaning rod for a .12 will be interesting as well. Probably have to be a pull through.

Boolit Master
    Tight hole I know, but as it is man made so there should be a cure for it.

S

I'd totally go for it, they are a good looking.

Boolit Master
    It is a pitty that we dont have the reamer rental here as you guys in the States. Would be so easy to to just rent a reamer from the company and return it back after you have chambered you DIY barrel. I have not checked the reamer rental as I do belive that they will not send the reamer way back to Finland. There should be one place here wo sells and rents the reamer. That would ease up the gunbuilding.

S

I've thought of making a 17 Fireball Rimmed using 357 Max brass. Figured I'd use a standard 17 Fireball reamer and put it in a falling block. Yours might be a 17 Fireball Rimmed Short.

Boolit Master
    Good child has many names as we say here.

S

Boolit Master
    I have many times said to my friends that they should show they own made rifles to others as that really would courage other to keep up the good work.
    Why buy ready contoured and polished barrel from Midway when you could taper that by yourself.
    Those should be shown to others so that they could compare the handywork and be encuraged to do it by themself.

S

Boolit Master
    Sometimes my old eyes are so tired of too much stearing of computer screen that I have to use magnification lense as aid

Name:	IMG_20170104_160853.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	184309
    Well.. there is cure for it.

Name:	IMG_20170104_160928.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	184310
    Nothing that can not be fixed.

Name:	IMG_20170104_160945.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	184311It is always wice to keep the hand close..

S

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    I've thought of making a 17 Fireball Rimmed using 357 Max brass. Figured I'd use a standard 17 Fireball reamer and put it in a falling block. Yours might be a 17 Fireball Rimmed Short.
    A buddy had a contender barrel made in 17 fireball rimmed. Great little round, no recoil and 4000 fps. He used 360 DW brass, so right sized brass vs. having to trim 0.20" off 357 max brass.

Boolit Master
    I was suppose to start from the smallest one today, but as you know I do my hobby projects in my friends machine shop.
    He is a bit different than me as he is more talented in marketing but does also use the machinery here.
    This company is little like the skunk works of machine shops.. Many kind of projects going on all the time.

Hopefully he will finish quick so that I can start to make the reamer.
    The barrel might be a problem. hard to find a barrelmaker wo could do such a small caliber barrels.
    If somebody knows a barrelmaker who makes .12 barrels, I would like to get a PM from it.

S
    Last edited by seppos; 01-05-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    seppos,

Now you're talking! I have discussed a .22 Badger with Badgeredd a few times, your prototype with the nice long neck is exactly what I had envisioned. A 6mm would also be a dandy in my book!

Very interested to see where your project will go!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar