Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Paint over parkerizing how to remove?

Banned

Paint over parkerizing how to remove?

My Fal has several parts where some fool painted over perfectly good parkerizing. Is there any way to remove the paint and not wreck the parkerized finish?

Boolit Master
    Paint over park was done by many of the factories building the FAL. Use a paint stripper, but don't leave it on too long. Some, like aircraft paint stripper, WILL remove park if left on too long. AMHIK.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Paint over park was done by many of the factories building the FAL. Use a paint stripper, but don't leave it on too long. Some, like aircraft paint stripper, WILL remove park if left on too long. AMHIK.
    My thoughts also but you may want to try lacquer thinner first. If it's a weaker paint the thinner may remove it by liquifying it or just get it to lift. If it's something stronger prolly the paint stripper, but it may stain the finish underneath.

If it is spray paint B12 chemtool carburetor cleaner will do the trick.

Boolit Master

Is the paint left over from a military issue? I've seen many rifles, particularly Commonwealth rifles that were painted.

My No 5 Jungle Carbine still has the OD paint used by Her Majesty's troopers in the Malaya Campaign in many places. It's now mostly under the wood, but I wish it still covered the whole rifle as it once die while serving in that former colony.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

The Brits were smart to paint their battle weapons. That black paint is still on my brother's Enfield revolver after 70+years. Look Mum no rust!

Boolit Buddy

Acetone will take it off
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Lacquer thinner (acetone) or xylene. Not sure if methyl chloride will affect. There are two kinds of Mr. Parkers process, zinc or manganese phosphate.
    I don't know the advantage of one over the other, or if one is more resistant to chemicals or not.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin